Drayton Mill Renovation

westsider28

Ok, Sorry for bumping an old thread but I needed to bring this question up, I live here in Drayton and I am currently 14 years old, I was wondering why people with enough money would want to live in such a rough area compared to the area they could live in. I mean I cant wait for this project to finish but will it fail because of the neighborhood?

Ok, Sorry for bumping an old thread but I needed to bring this question up, I live here in Drayton and I am currently 14 years old, I was wondering why people with enough money would want to live in such a rough area compared to the area they could live in. I mean I cant wait for this project to finish but will it fail because of the neighborhood?

The investors in this project feel, as many on this forum do, that the building and the location have potential to attract middle income to higher income residents.  In spite of the neighborhood's challenges, the Isom / Drayton connector is often busy with traffic,  Spartanburg Regional and Mary Black Hospitals are solid employment hubs, Hillcrest and Pinewood are nearby commercial hubs, and, a resurgent downtown Spartanburg is just down the road. 

There will need to be additional investments for sure.  But one thing is for certain:  all of the key players in this project have a track record of success.

Many urban neighborhoods in America, some far worse than Drayton, have been brought back to life.  In other words, young people, and a few older folks too, prefer the convenience of downtown, shopping, restaurants, and medical facilities.  Drayton, even with it's challenges, fits that profile. 

When Beaumont and Drayton Mills were operating at full capacity these two communities were vibrant and close-knit.  Small retailers, schools, and churches coexisted.  The housing stock was solid.  Unfortunately, they declined once the mills closed.  The housing stock, in some cases, became dilapidated.  Crime increased and the middle class fled.  

The Spartan Mill community suffered the same fate.  The Northside Initiative is aggressively working toward reversing the decline.  VCOM, rather than a textile mill, is the employment hub now.  VCOM could have established itself anywhere.  But they chose a gritty, working class neighborhood.

Over the years Spartans of all races, ages, genders, and income levels have come to reflexively dismiss initiatives like this one.  However, this is just the kind of ecomomic activity that will move our city in the right direction. 

Edited by roads-scholar
  • Like 1

I saw a blurb in the H-J article about Monday's County Council meeting where they discuss the Drayton Mill project.  So I found the meeting agenda PDF on the County's (laughable) website.  Pacolet Milliken has apparently asked for an extension (to finish in September 2016 now), so I'm not sure when work will start. :(  The special tax exemption was also extended to 20 years.

The trail that they're building was also described in more detail.  It will be about a mile long, from Mary Black Hospital past the mill and down to Lawsons Fork Creek.  It will be 8 feet wide and asphalt, with 2-foot gravel shoulders on each side.  Though, it may follow existing or new sidewalks immediately around the mill.  Sounds like it will be really nice.  The trail also has a completion date of September 2016.

• 1 month later...

I've been to the Pig Out BBQ a couple of times,(Mostly looking for work)  It stays very busy! Great addition to the neighborhood!

I've been to the Pig Out BBQ a couple of times,(Mostly looking for work)  It stays very busy! Great addition to the neighborhood!

I must try this place out!  Everyone raves about it.

• Like 1

I must try this place out!  Everyone raves about it.

Yes for sure! Me and my friends love their fries!

As for the trail, there is already a locked gate entrance on Skyuka st. To a gravel/dirt road that leads all the way to Mary Black, I guess they will possibly build off this trail. The trail was originally a way to get back and forth to check on the creek back in the woods that went into the mill pond. I will post some pictures this weekend of what they are doing to the neighborhood if anyone would be interested...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, so apparently I'm an idiot, because I missed the fact that this project has had a Facebook page since September.  :whistling:  

Anyway, the project is officially called "Drayton Mills Loft Apartments".  They have a website http://www.DraytonLofts.com/ but it's just a blank page for now.  From their recent FB posts (ex. "November 24th, financial closing, November 25th temp electric poles"), it seems like they're going to start the renovation in earnest very soon.  Also, their cover photo says "Opening 2016", which is great to see.  Less than 2 years away!

10339564_744236182313128_751642624784394

• 2 weeks later...

The official groundbreaking for the Drayton Mill Lofts was today!  And expected completion is Early-2016!

There will be 289 units, 68 floor plans, 12-19 foot ceilings, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, in-unit laundry, and custom lighting.  Onsite amenities will include a multi-level fitness center, 2 community rooms, a 60-foot lap pool, courtyard w/fire pits, and dog park.  Of course there will be the trail connecting to Mary Black Hospital.  Three other buildings on the site could include retail, event space, and/or office space.

Update (from H-J article): $35 million! project, mix of 1,2,&3 bedrooms, $800-1300 rent.  They have 240 acres of property in the Drayton area and could announce more plans for development as early as Q1 2015!  :w00t:

Whiting-Turner appears to be the new general contractor.  Another national name with an impressive portfolio.  It looks like the property management group will be Drucker & Falk of Raleigh, NC.  The Drayton Lofts website is now live, though there's not much info.

Can't wait to watch the progress on this one.  It will be a game changer for the area.  And the completion date is earlier than I expected.  Here we go! :yahoo:

Edited by westsider28

• 1 month later...

You guys may be following the progress on Facebook, but I figured I'd post an update here anyway.  I drove by today and saw that the non-original loading dock on the front of the building has been totally demolished.  Here's a photo posted on their FB page a few days ago where they said, "bricks from loading dock will be given to first tenant leases for these first floor units."  Cool!  Now they just have to strip that ugly pastel paint off the original wall...

10920932_784059414997471_225650555045357

• 1 month later...

They're definitely going full-bore on this.  Here's what they're doing, mostly on/near the spinning building (main one facing Drayton Rd):

A lot of roof work; tearing off another modern addition on the back; tearing up the ground (concrete) between and around the water towers (where the pool will be); and they've opened up about half the windows (most of 2nd floor, no 1st floor yet).  Their FB page also said that they're in the process of sandblasting the walls, ceilings, and floors inside.  Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

Another quick update based on what I've seen in-person and Facebook postings.  A parking lot is being built across Ansel Street from the spinning building (corner of Drayton Rd). The curbing has been put in for it.  The modern addition at the corner of Ansel and Carney has been demolished.  Plans I saw a while back showed the concrete pad over the creek remaining to be used for parking. 

FB postings have shown that they're well underway on framing the individual apartments inside.  They also said they'll be restoring the water towers soon.  And finally...windows!

247170_818443954892350_69648178115509623

The Herald-Journal had a good article about this project today (and a photo gallery online, including a site plan).  Here are some details I hadn't heard before.  They're framing 6 units per day.  The units will be rented by floor as each floor is completed, with the first units becoming available between September and December. (wow!)  The pool between the water towers will be 60 feet long.  Some units in the weaving mill will have up to 500 sq ft of outdoor patio space near the pool.

There has already been strong interest in the commercial portion of the development, and there is already a waiting list of tenants for the apartments.  Plans for the commercial side of the project are anticipated at a later date.  Pacolet Milliken also owns an additional 240 acres in the Drayton area for future development that could include office space, restaurants and retail.

Good stuff.  This project is going to be so awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

The Lofts are having a sneak preview tomorrow for anyone that wants to attend. I for one plan on going even though I am not in the market for one. The email below that I received back shows to me that the Burg is really starting to go places and become cool.

Thank you for your interest in Drayton Mill. We are excited to give you a sneak peek of what’s to come to Spartanburg. You will get a firsthand preview of what the loft apartments will look like, meet the development team, have your questions answered and have an opportunity to be placed on our VIP list to be the first to rent a loft apartment.

It’s going to be amazing.

Here are a few details to know in preparation for the day.

When: Thursday April 16th, from 10 am to 4pm

Where: 1800 Drayton Road, Spartanburg, SC 29306

·        Parking is available in the lot across the mill on Drayton Road. Please enter through the company store. 

·        Self-Guided Tours will begin at 10am – Due to an overwhelming response to the event, we have decided against assigning time slots. This will allow for you go at your own pace.

·        We are very happy to announce that Table 301 will be serving lunch. We will have inside and covered outdoor seating for you to enjoy directly after your tour. Table 301 will be available from 11am -2pm

·        This is an active construction site. Please wear comfortable, closed toe shoes for viewing the third floor model units. 

If you have any questions, please email [email protected]

And please like us on Facebook to get the latest project information https://www.facebook.com/DraytonLofts

We look forward to seeing you.

The Lofts are having a sneak preview tomorrow for anyone that wants to attend. I for one plan on going even though I am not in the market for one. The email below that I received back shows to me that the Burg is really starting to go places and become cool.

Thank you for your interest in Drayton Mill. We are excited to give you a sneak peek of what’s to come to Spartanburg. You will get a firsthand preview of what the loft apartments will look like, meet the development team, have your questions answered and have an opportunity to be placed on our VIP list to be the first to rent a loft apartment.

It’s going to be amazing.

Here are a few details to know in preparation for the day.

When: Thursday April 16th, from 10 am to 4pm

Where: 1800 Drayton Road, Spartanburg, SC 29306

·        Parking is available in the lot across the mill on Drayton Road. Please enter through the company store. 

·        Self-Guided Tours will begin at 10am – Due to an overwhelming response to the event, we have decided against assigning time slots. This will allow for you go at your own pace.

·        We are very happy to announce that Table 301 will be serving lunch. We will have inside and covered outdoor seating for you to enjoy directly after your tour. Table 301 will be available from 11am -2pm

·        This is an active construction site. Please wear comfortable, closed toe shoes for viewing the third floor model units. 

If you have any questions, please email [email protected]

And please like us on Facebook to get the latest project information https://www.facebook.com/DraytonLofts

We look forward to seeing you.

The same information is on Drayton Mill's Facebook page. 

I, too, am interested in seeing the place but a prior commitment will prevent me from being there.  It would be nice, S-man, if you could take some photos or at least give us a report. 

I drove by Monday and took a close look.  It is apparent that the developer is putting big money into this project! 

I also went to the preview event. Really cool. (Here's an H-J article) You guys ready for some photos?

Model unit

post-24605-0-71355200-1429236281_thumb.jpost-24605-0-08645600-1429236341_thumb.jpost-24605-0-31301700-1429236338_thumb.jpost-24605-0-71057400-1429236339_thumb.jpost-24605-0-32292300-1429236294_thumb.jpost-24605-0-23492700-1429236289_thumb.jpost-24605-0-97037000-1429236373_thumb.jpost-24605-0-40958300-1429236292_thumb.jpost-24605-0-32297400-1429236287_thumb.jpost-24605-0-70091200-1429236380_thumb.j

Unfinished 2-level loft

post-24605-0-69440500-1429236342_thumb.jpost-24605-0-07042200-1429236344_thumb.jpost-24605-0-67039600-1429236345_thumb.jpost-24605-0-14554600-1429236347_thumb.jpost-24605-0-42582700-1429236348_thumb.j

Outside views

post-24605-0-94096400-1429236349_thumb.jpost-24605-0-94332000-1429236375_thumb.jpost-24605-0-57628500-1429236301_thumb.jpost-24605-0-91345000-1429236372_thumb.jpost-24605-0-46716600-1429236291_thumb.jpost-24605-0-31293000-1429236379_thumb.jpost-24605-0-44617000-1429236382_thumb.jpost-24605-0-76854600-1429236376_thumb.j

Plans (including a potential future development plan for the entire area!)

post-24605-0-54651600-1429236355_thumb.jpost-24605-0-92800800-1429236299_thumb.jpost-24605-0-77310500-1429236285_thumb.j

The 3rd floor of the spinning building has basically all the units framed. The other floors aren't as far along (still sandblasting 1st floor).  I'm interested to see the units in the weaving building, once they're ready (still very early in renovation process; see photo^).  The next community event is a "Greenway Reveal" on Tuesday, May 19. (I guess the trail will be mostly finished by then?)

• Like 1