Drayton Mill Renovation

westsider28

4 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

Aren't there currently houses where the proposed elementary school is going to go? Has D7 bought them?

I know Pacolet Milliken owns several of them, at least.  County GIS is down, so I can't check to see which ones or how many.

Edited by westsider28

Drove by Drayton today and saw that, in addition to all the work on the warehouses and significant grading / dirt movement where Lake Street used to be, the company store's roof is now being worked on.  Since it's on the National Register, I assume the slate roof tiles will be refurbished and put back up.

• 1 month later...

Here's a UBJ article on Quinn Satterfield's plan to build 5 homes on Floyd Street between Calvert and Carney.  The homes will be 1,265 to 1,300 square feet, 3BR/2.5BA, and have front porches. As mentioned earlier, pricing will start at $149,900.  Construction will begin soon and should be completed within five months.  Here are some similar houses by this developer near downtown Greenville.  These should be high quality, and they're reasonably priced.  I bet they'll sell quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Four commercial tenants for the Drayton Marketplace were just announced! A 7000 sq ft Rick Erwin restaurant in the company store, Mozza Roasters--a coffee shop by Melotte Enterprises (who are moving their office there too), Zen Studios Yoga (moving from Hillcrest Center to a larger space here), and a regional office for Illinois-based industrial developer Agracel.  Nice mix.  There is still space available, and I saw a tweet that said they're reserving a space for a brewery & taproom.  Exciting!

Edited by westsider28

Here's a UBJ article with even more info.  They're still developing the concept, but the Rick Erwin restaurant will be more casual than their steak & seafood restaurants, serving "traditional American fare crafted from fresh, quality ingredients" for lunch and dinner, and it's supposed to open in November.  The other businesses are also planned to open in the Fall.  There will be 200 parking spaces next to the Marketplace.  They're still working with SCDOT to put a traffic light at Milliken Street & Drayton Road so people can cross for the trail and overflow parking.

Montgomery said 13 spaces are still available for lease. He expects to announce more tenants in the near future, including a brewery that would occupy a large space that overlooks the mill’s pond.  Awesome!

And there's a website for the Marketplace (though it's mostly marketing the available spaces) - http://draytonmarketplace.com/

I think Drayton is a weird spot for a restaurant, but obviously I hope they can make it work. I think having a brewery there would be perfect, and it would compliment the restaurant very well. 

Supposedly they want to build a whole neighborhood between the mill and Skylyn Dr. My guess is that the spec houses are just to test the waters.

• 1 month later...

Still lots of work going on at Drayton Marketplace.  They've paved much of the new parking lot.  They're working on the roofs and awnings for the warehouses.  They've also added the first part of the boardwalk (not seen here), which starts at the plaza and will wrap around the warehouses along the mill pond.  And they're installing new slate roof tiles on the company store.  No signs of progress on the SFHs, unfortunately.

IMG_1526.JPGIMG_1528.JPGIMG_1530_Stitch.jpg

They've also paved Phase 2 of the Drayton Trail.  It will eventually connect to Heywood Ave and then to Cottonwood.  The process for getting permission to go under the Norfolk-Southern RR bridge is underway. It takes 52 weeks(!) because RRs move at a glacial pace.

IMG_1540.JPGIMG_1539.JPG

• 2 months later...

Update on Drayton: the warehouse and company store renovations for Drayton Marketplace have experienced delays which will push completion back to early 2017.  They're saying a likely February opening for the Rick Erwin's restaurant.  It did seem like they'd been moving slowly, so it's not too big of a surprise.  Delays often occur on historic renovation projects.  Also, the stoplight at Drayton Road & Milliken Street should be installed by the end of the year. (cross your fingers, b/c SCDOT)

Edit: Went over there this evening, and there's finally site grading happening for the 5 new houses on Floyd Street.

Also, District 7 broke ground today on the new elementary school.  It's still unnamed.  You've likely heard about the naming dispute, which seems a bit unreasonable to me.  The school is scheduled to open Fall 2018.  Here are a few pictures below.  I HATE how schools all have to have excessively long serpentine driveways now.  The state has basically made it impossible/illegal to build an actual urban school (like Pine Street Elementary) anymore.  Also, do they really need that much parking?  Ugh. </rant>

Drayton Elem rendering.jpgDrayton Elem site plan.jpg

Edited by westsider28
New info

I agree on the naming dispute. I like naming schools after places rather than people. Drayton is the name of the part of town that it's in. Skylyn Elem would also be an acceptable name. 

I also agree on the driveway issue - though the one difference is that Pine Street also has a better network of streets to support different types of traffic control options...

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know a friend or family that is living at Drayton now that can give an honest review? I have heard a lot of good things as well as some bad things (noisy), however I cannot get a personal review as I do not know a soul that is there.

I understand that I know no of you but was just curious about what anyone else had heard.

• 1 month later...

Another tenant has been announced for Drayton Mills Marketplace.  Burn Boot Camp (a franchise from Huntersville, N.C.) plans to open a 5,000-square-foot gym there.  They primarily cater to women, but do offer some coed classes.  They first considered the west side of town before deciding on Drayton, which is cool that they valued the property's historic and mixed-use qualities.

Apparently interest in the Marketplace has increased lately (because they're getting closer to finishing renovations, I assume).  I hope we continue to hear about more tenants in the next few months.

Edited by westsider28

• 2 months later...

Mozza Roasters and The Standard are both hiring, so they should be open pretty soon.  Here's a progress pic of each respectively, from Facebook:

17498971_10154494541876238_6431610443176289299_n.jpg?oh=b4fd3b7cf1a9d591a243ad6927251188&oe=594EB36517498959_1411235735601997_5296969600655411683_n.jpg?oh=7191a6e4f1d3da4f25c5470a1d4db40a&oe=59973404

Also, here's a fly-around animation of the new elementary school:

https://youtu.be/meR9uZqApks

(Anyone know how to embed the video? @Spartan I can't figure it out.)

Edited by westsider28

• 3 weeks later...

Some updates: Firstly, PAL has gotten preliminary approval from Norfolk Southern to build a canopy (like pic below) under the RR overpass for a trail connection.  Full approval involves reviews of engineering drawings, a process which could take as long as one year.  Ugh, at least it's progress (however slow).

71d9350a-669d-48c6-b729-c3fd6cd21af6.jpg

Secondly, there's been no movement on those houses that were supposed to be built on Floyd Street.  Not sure what the holdup is.

Thirdly, there's been tons of progress at the new elementary school site.  Lots of grading, and I think foundation work for the building has started.

Finally, the mill site (Marketplace, etc) looks great.  The Standard and others should be opening soon.  I wonder when we'll see the new traffic light installed.

58fd1219491a1_IMG_3191Stitch.thumb.jpg.bb5cec6063c14b245e9e05a0c4083df0.jpg

Just saw an application in the paper by Pi-Squared Pizza to sell beer and wine at 1802 Drayton Road, Suite 135B (Drayton Marketplace).  This is a Hendersonville-based, Detroit-style pizza place.  They're apparently planning to open a location in Boiling Springs, too.  Suite 135 faces the mill pond (see below), and "B" suggests they won't be taking the whole space.  Great to see another restaurant option coming to Drayton Mills!

58ff745559099_Draytonmarketmap.thumb.jpg.5eb18162e57e6dec99e5b7fabb5d2e9d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bella Latte / Mozza Roasters opened their coffee shop last week, and today The Standard is officially open!  They'll just be serving dinner at first, but they plan to open for lunch in the future.  They have seating for almost 200 diners, a private dining room, and a 2,500-square-foot outdoor patio.  It looks great.  Definitely can't wait to go there and try their food.

(Also mentioned was that the apartments are now almost fully occupied.)

5913534d61976_TheStandardsign.thumb.jpg.e19bf851321fb059b8187515d961ee31.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of new information, but a good interview with Rick Webel, who is the president of Pacolet Milliken, that discusses the future expansion of the Drayton neighborhood behind the mill and connecting to the area behind Mary Black Hospital. 

The news to me is that they've started clearing a lot of land and have some developers lined up. One thing I know for sure is that Pacolet Milliken is commeted to doing things the right way and of good quality. I think it would be cool to invest in this neighborhood, personally.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20170523/mixture-of-new-housing-planned-for-drayton-community

• Like 1