Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nvestnbna

Downtown Precinct Location

24 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon. My neighborhood has mobilized on the proposed location of the new downtown police precinct. I am attaching a couple of images. One is the "neighborhood preferred" location and the other is the "proposed" location. The second image reflects neighborhood support. This "alternative" is not only in the best interest of our neighborhood, but the city. We have just launched our networking campaign and are asking for petition signers and for folks to share this with their networks. Thanks for your consideration and I will try and answer questions as I get them.

Petition - - http://www.change.org/petitions/locate-downtown-precinct-on-lafayette-street-nashville-tn?share_id=MOichYrDXg&utm_campaign=mailto_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

NewWestAerialPrecinct_zps1630c446.jpg

SupportMap_zpsaa20ff80.jpg

Signed (I think). 

My note: I think building a brand new very small precinct with no on-site parking for police vehicles is very short-sighted.

1 person likes this

Isn't it already under construction though?

As of today no permits have been issued.

Edited by nvestnbna

What is the existing building like? Is it something that could be refit for police purposes, or would a tear down and rebuild be necessary? Is the land privately owned? Who owns the land for the city proposed site?

Currently, the Central Precinct is located inside Bridgestone arena on Broadway toward 6th.  I believe that once the Central Precinct moves out, that space in Bridgestone is supposed to be turned into retail space.  I posted somewhere on here recently, but I will recap my conversation with a Central officer who is transferring to the East Precicint.  The officer stated that the existing space inside Bridgestone is so small that detectives do not have room to interview folks and there are no restrooms, so the officers have to use their key cards, exit the Police area and enter the Arena to use the restroom.  He stated that as small as the proposed new site is, that it would offer much more room than the Central Precinct currently has in Bridgestone Arena.  He did state that some police parking would be in under the MCC, but that quite a bit of parking would take place on KVB/6th and surrounding streets.

I would imagine that the city owns the parcel where the proposed site is through the eminent domain acquisitions for MCC, but nvestnbna would know for sure.  This land is nudged between KVB and the NES substation in what is now a narrow strip of grass about 30-feet wide. 

I would certainly be in support of the Ewing Ave location if the city owns that lot.  Certainly, it would afford even more space for the officers (maybe even all on one floor?), better parking, and better security to that area.  If the city does not own that lot, much would the land acquisition cost likely be?

What is the existing building like? Is it something that could be refit for police purposes, or would a tear down and rebuild be necessary? Is the land privately owned? Who owns the land for the city proposed site?

The proposed facility would be on the front of the NES substation on the corner of KVB and 6th Ave (the road that runs through the MCC). I just checked the building which will be sprinkled is to be 11580sf total. No parking 150 employees(or officers based out of this station), no parking other than street or MCC. The Commander of the station says they pretty much need 55 spaces at any given time. Here is some math just on the parking - conservatively $10/day x 50 vehicles x 20 days /month is $10,000 worth of parking for this location(and conservatively $10,000 revenue from visitors to the city) that they will no longer receive. The city does own the sliver of land. The budget is $4,000,000.

The alternative site is 1.6 acres, a 26k sf sprinkled building and on the market by a group out of Atlanta. It is the former FAB Warehouse or for you oldies Southern Plumbing which built it when the Bridgestone I think was built. Asking price $3,000,000 assessed at just over $2,000,000. Here is the listing. Free parking for at least 50 vehicles.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001pd7lLolq0DVTkmFO2Tyc-AZFEUrf-XRLxxsI0NxGPAea28gHO2v86fm2o3laX5PUAR79yzAx2AWisrNGzi1j5xsu9EknFOw5M4Fr-kbw2KiKnyXoehw2C8sHmvQT_IsvrXHFmK-a4onHLStRZ3VGo2Np1YdS48GESVjoL_Ia8DhOKa27fHqOyqZUBHC8xRWO80Sw05Oe-BU=

Edited by nvestnbna

signed!  your proposed changes make a great deal of sense.

1 person likes this

No parking 150 employees(or officers based out of this station), no parking other than street or MCC. Commander of the station says they pretty much need 55 spaces at any given time. Here is some math just on the parking - conservatively $10/day x 50 vehicles x 20 days /month is $10,000 worth of parking for this location(and conservatively $10,000 revenue from visitors to the city) they will no longer receive.  The city does own the sliver of land. The budget is $4,000,000.

That's the biggest issue for me. We've built this massive convention center, and while it does have a good deal of parking, future growth for KVB would suggest that on-street parking will be highly sought after for both conventions and arena events. 50+ spaces may not be a huge amount, but it is certainly potential revenue, and I think the priority for parking should go to visitors anyways and not public employees.

1 person likes this

Signed Shelby. Thanks!

1 person likes this

Would someone please explain what the residents don't like about this proposal? Gotta be more than just parking. Typical Tennessean article, it's not clear.  However, since this location was announced, it strikes me that this whole project and the ill-advised NES substation were very short-sighted.  Perhaps there are other factors, but these plans just appear to be typical of the kind put into place by bureaucrats who are just looking for a place to put another shiney new government-paid toy.  These decisions are rarely made with any consideration of impact and consequences to surrounding properties. After all, government is the bully that tells others what it will do... and where it will go. For this reason, the residents mentioned in this article will get no changes made to this plan.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130506/NEWS0202/305060052/2066/NEWS03

Edited by MLBrumby

Property owners in the SoBro/Lafayette St corridor are lucky to have a neighbor like Shelby who is willing to put this information together and organize a petition.  The FAB Wholesale building is an excellent option for a police precinct.  It's in great condition, lots of parking and is for sale at well below replacement cost.  This option for the City would be much more economical than building a new building on KVB and leasing parking spaces at MCC.

Thanks to William Williams for a great article on the topic as well.  http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/sobro-citizens-ask-metro-reconsider-location-new-police-precinct

Would someone please explain what the residents don't like about this proposal? Gotta be more than just parking.

Take a look at the petition that was posted.  It is laid out clearly there.

Property owners in the SoBro/Lafayette St corridor are lucky to have a neighbor like Shelby who is willing to put this information together and organize a petition.  The FAB Wholesale building is an excellent option for a police precinct.  It's in great condition, lots of parking and is for sale at well below replacement cost.  This option for the City would be much more economical than building a new building on KVB and leasing parking spaces at MCC.

Thanks to William Williams for a great article on the topic as well.  http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/sobro-citizens-ask-metro-reconsider-location-new-police-precinct

Ahh... I should have known that WW would explain it clearly. And the comments also make some great points. The Tennessean is such a terrible "rag" of a newspaper.  They obviously always take Metro's side, even to the point of not explaining the opposing views.  The Tennessean made it sound like the central issue is parking... and the neighbors are primarily concerned about the city not getting parking revenues. 

I especially agree with the point to putting the precinct in the existing building that is closer to the Rescue Mission and the Greyhound statyion.

There was a segment on Fox 17 too. Glad this is getting coverage. I would have signed, however I don't  have a dog to walk on this one as I live outside Metro.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/22400670/4-m-police-precinct-not-bid

Nice piece last night by Channel 4. Unfortunately it seems metro is doing everything it can to fast track and spend this past the point of no return.

Probably the most well-done story so far. I think they laid out the concerns pretty well. I had no idea this was a change order. While it might save money in terms of building a new structure on a property they have to acquire, it is certainly not excusable for not taking the time to explore all the options, and I think it's wrong for the Mayor & his staff to try to ram this through with no input from....anyone.

I don't know if there is anything more that you can do, Shelby, but keep fighting the good fight. Perhaps if the news organizations keep pressing it (well, I kind of doubt you'll get the daily Tennessean DCS or Pilot scandal kind of update), then Dean will be forced to at least talk about it. Right now it's obviously not a big enough issue to get time away from him going on walks and cutting ribbons.

Edited by UTgrad09

Needless to say Rich Reibling is being an idiot on this one.

Thanks, CG, for the kind words.

WW

Probably the most well-done story so far. I think they laid out the concerns pretty well. I had no idea this was a change order. While it might save money in terms of building a new structure on a property they have to acquire, it is certainly not excusable for not taking the time to explore all the options, and I think it's wrong for the Mayor & his staff to try to ram this through with no input from....anyone.

I don't know if there is anything more that you can do, Shelby, but keep fighting the good fight. Perhaps if the news organizations keep pressing it (well, I kind of doubt you'll get the daily Tennessean DCS or Pilot scandal kind of update), then Dean will be forced to at least talk about it. Right now it's obviously not a big enough issue to get time away from him going on walks and cutting ribbons.

Kevin,

I agree. This is a very well done piece.

We must wonder if Metro is now taking note.

WW

Construction appears to have begun on the new precinct at 6th/KVB.  The perimeter has construction barricades and there was equipment on site grading it.  That site is matchbox tiny.

Construction appears to have begun on the new precinct at 6th/KVB.  The perimeter has construction barricades and there was equipment on site grading it.  That site is absolutely a waste of resources and is generally regarded as a mistake.

There, fixed that for you...

1 person likes this

I posted this in Bits and Pieces. Excavation started last Friday.

Permit was issued this week for DT precinct.