Ascension Parish Traffic Issues

Antrell Williams

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Because these subdivisions are the ones adding to traffic issues and take a huge part in bad planning practices.

They are only adding to traffic because its bringing in new residents. These people are leaving Baton Rouge because (of several reasons) its safer in the suburbs. So you want to make it so that their new homes in the suburbs are turned into Baton Rouge? That's ridiculous.

The people who are killing Ascension are the idiots in charge who wouldn't know planning if hit them in the face.

They are only adding to traffic because its bringing in new residents. These people are leaving Baton Rouge because (of several reasons) its safer in the suburbs. So you want to make it so that their new homes in the suburbs are turned into Baton Rouge? That's ridiculous.

The people who are killing Ascension are the idiots in charge who wouldn't know planning if hit them in the face.

They are adding to traffic because they continue to add them to two lane roads. We need more roads here, with more connected real neighborhoods. What we don't need is more one entrance 150-lot subdivisions clogging up Hwy 42. This has nothing to do with Baton Rouge, stay on topic.

I question your idea of planning.

They are adding to traffic because they continue to add them to two lane roads. We need more roads here, with more connected real neighborhoods. What we don't need is more one entrance 150-lot subdivisions clogging up Hwy 42. This has nothing to do with Baton Rouge, stay on topic.

I question your idea of planning.

Again, people who move to the suburbs don't want traffic flowing throughout their neighborhood. They don't want strangers driving in their neighborhoods looking for shortcuts. They dont want outsiders walking into their neighborhoods. That's a urbanism dream that people fled from. What you want is to bring that which has ruined a lot of Baton Rouge into the suburbs.

Instead you should be blaming the elected officials for not caring about planning.

And you can question my planning all you want. I'm not the one who doesn't care about building codes or roads that are exceeding their traffic limits. If anything I question your idea of planning on why you want to ruin neighborhoods in suburbs. One entrance neighborhoods are not the problem at all.

Again, people who move to the suburbs don't want traffic flowing throughout their neighborhood. They don't want strangers driving in their neighborhoods looking for shortcuts. They dont want outsiders walking into their neighborhoods. That's a urbanism dream that people fled from. What you want is to bring that which has ruined a lot of Baton Rouge into the suburbs.

Instead you should be blaming the elected officials for not caring about planning.

And you can question my planning all you want. I'm not the one who doesn't care about building codes or roads that are exceeding their traffic limits. If anything I question your idea of planning on why you want to ruin neighborhoods in suburbs. One entrance neighborhoods are not the problem at all.

Can you explain how connected neighborhoods have been ruined by people driving through them? Economics and politics is what ruined the neighborhoods. My current neighborhood is extremely large and extends from 42 to Bayou Manchac, and they are building another subdivision at the moment. People driving isn't the problem, but clogged up roads is. You increase the number of roads and shortcuts, you decrease the commute time.

One entrance subdivisions are a huge factor in what is ruining this parish.

Ascension has enough of a road grid in place that it could exist as the land of one entrance subdivisions, if only they would improve capacity on their main roads. 

They have to do away with these dangerous two lane country roads with open drainage and put in actual functional, safe roads. 

i have a park in the middle of mine, but its run down and full of the "Bad Crowd" people. literally, I came home from work friday and saw 4 cop cars around the park with the lights on...hince Bad Crowd brings Cops.

Where about do you live?

Ascension has enough of a road grid in place that it could exist as the land of one entrance subdivisions, if only they would improve capacity on their main roads. 

They have to do away with these dangerous two lane country roads with open drainage and put in actual functional, safe roads. 

No when population reaches 200,000 and more. Ascension has enough of a road grid that it should take advantage of that asset. With the lack of taxes coming in from businesses, road improvement projects are far in the future as traffic gridlocks more of our roads.

Where about do you live?

No when population reaches 200,000 and more. Ascension has enough of a road grid that it should take advantage of that asset. With the lack of taxes coming in from businesses, road improvement projects are far in the future as traffic gridlocks more of our roads.

Yeah, they can't get away with it without more funding for roads. I'm thinking of suburban areas in most other large U.S. cities, particularly in the midwest, where there is a similar highway grid. One entrance subs everywhere, but it works because the grid is capable of handling the traffic. 

Little grosses me out more than open drainage. 

Phoenix has a lot of one entrance subdivisions but they also have a six lane major thoroughfare every mile. In Ascension the problem is the capacity of the main roads. You could have 5 entrances for each subdivision but without capacity on the main roads it doesn't matter amd traffic will suck.

So does Houston and traffic there is terrible, just like it is in Phoenix, which often ranks high in "worst traffic" lists. Increasing capacity on a few main roads doens't solve traffic problems. The problem lies within the lack of roads we have here. Funny how traffic within the core of cities like Baton Rouge and New Orleans hardly ever is a major problem but as soon as you get on College, Perkins, Bluebonnet, Seigen, Airline, etc the traffic turns into a nightmare.

You can widen Airline, Hwy 42, etc all you want but traffic will be bad unless they begin to actually add roads instead of lanes.

Adding roads is one thing adding them through subdivisions is another. I agree we need more routes before it is too late. Id love to see LA44 connect with tiger bend. When my wife and I bought a house to us a wantes feature was a subdivision you couldn't drive through. The one we live in has two entrances but cant be used as a short cut. The last thing we want is to worry about our kids dodgong extra traffic that is just cutting through.

Adding roads is one thing adding them through subdivisions is another. I agree we need more routes before it is too late. Id love to see LA44 connect with tiger bend. When my wife and I bought a house to us a wantes feature was a subdivision you couldn't drive through. The one we live in has two entrances but cant be used as a short cut. The last thing we want is to worry about our kids dodgong extra traffic that is just cutting through.

I'm not suggesting adding roads through existing subdivisions. You don't happen to live in Les Chenier/Meadow Ridge do you? That's where I live and there are two entrances that can't be used as a shortcut but it is connected to Manchac Acres Rd (Concrete man Rd). People in Sherwood Forest, Broadmoor, Oak Hills Place, Southdowns, Garden District, Capital Heights and the rest of Mid-City don't seem to have to worry about children and high traffic, or not that I see when driving through, which is quite often.

I'm sure you know of the Willow Lake shortcut from Jefferson to Hwy 42. Many people know of that shortcut although it doens't create much extra traffic at all.

Archived