630 S Division Ave Postal Facility

organsnyder

Now that we know that the USPS owns the building, it's time to speculate as to what they'll be doing with the location. :-)

According to the sale listing, the building is 24,404 sqft, and there is some space for potential expansion. I don't know the size of the current main branch, but it's obviously much larger than that.

The new building could be the retail component of a retail-sorting split - however, most of the building is set up as industrial rather than offices, so I imagine it would require a fair amount of renovation. I don't think that it's large enough (nor conveniently located) to be the processing component of such a split.

One less exciting possibility is that it's simply a new branch - perhaps a consolidation of a few branches. The Seymour Square branch, for instance, has been rumored to be closing for quite a while, and they certainly haven't put much effort into keeping it in good shape. However, 24k sqft seems too big for a neighborhood branch, even if it's replacing 2-3 others.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine it will function as the main sorting facility.   The front office part of that building would be enough space for a customer interface.  Outside of retrofitting warehousing and sorting equipment I imagine it wouldn't be a very complicated move. 

This could possibly be a pretty big deal. Wonder how to find out more info? Anyone?

If you really want to dig, this is government work so any work to be done has to bid on. For the construction side Builders Exchange of Grand Rapids is a good source, but I think you need to be a member.

But, since it's a federal job, there should be a federal government website out there advertising for RFPs for design work or bids for construction work. 

Who knows what their timeline is. It may be too early in the process to start looking there and you will just come up empty handed.

If you really want to dig, this is government work so any work to be done has to bid on. For the construction side Builders Exchange of Grand Rapids is a good source, but I think you need to be a member.

But, since it's a federal job, there should be a federal government website out there advertising for RFPs for design work or bids for construction work. 

Who knows what their timeline is. It may be too early in the process to start looking there and you will just come up empty handed.

Apparently they have a crane for sale. http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=122&acctid=3526

A bit out of place for the intention of it, but would a FOIA request be able to get information on the intention of the purchase?  Or what about just asking the post office?

You probably wouldn't have to FOIA them. The big question is, who at the post office? I'm sure there's probably a couple hundred thousand people who work for USPS...

Never mind, "official line" from the USPS is that they are not moving downtown facility here:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/07/united_states_postal_service_b.html

The question is whether the "official line" is the final line, or they are just not sure how they want to announce their full intentions or their long-term plan?

Agreed. The USPS has had a moratorium on new building for years and I can't imagine they need more capacity. I'd be shocked if this isn't part of a bigger move. 

Personally, I think this will be a facility to support downtown Grand Rapids, with an addition (or move) at their facility by the airport. I'm sure the current downtown facility would fetch a decent price. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the MSU study/expansion plan results and the announcement of the USPS moving happen within days of each other (though when that announcement will happen, I have no idea).

Joe

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The parking lots are full of Post Office vehicles at this building.  I've noticed the parking ramp behind the Monroe Ave Post Office has hardly any vehicles.  Have they quietly vacated all shipping/receiving to the building on Division?  Customer Service to be relocated last?

I doubt they will relocate the customer service center.  They'll just close it.  The Monroe Center service center will have to serve all of downtown then.

That's hard to believe. The Monroe Center one is pretty challenging to get quick in and out of. I always see a lot of cars still in the parking lot of the Michigan St post office still.

That's hard to believe. The Monroe Center one is pretty challenging to get quick in and out of. I always see a lot of cars still in the parking lot of the Michigan St post office still.

Yeah, the parking lot is almost always full and with three "cash registers" open there is typically a line about 50-75% of my trips to the Michigan St location.  No way they could service all that business at the one or two stations in the tiny Ledyard Building location, let alone the problems with the quick in-and-out access.

Archived