158 Weston SW - Arena Place Mixed-Use Development

John E

It's already being talked about in the Arena South thread. It's just an option on the property now for 1 year while the developer does due diligence.

But I suppose it warrants a new thread. No renderings at the DDA meeting that I could see.

Come on people, give us renderings! Even Duane Faust drew something on a napkin! ;)

Hope this is the beginning of more things to come. Bring on the infill!

Joe

You want a Duane Faust rendering?  Here you go!  I hear it's 100% shovel-ready.

941130_10100514035161235_2020236094_n.jp

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Construction scheduled to begin in December and be completed in April of 2015.

http://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/20699-arena-place-details-plans-for

7e1b54bf564f9b47dd9083ff09c1970f_XL.jpg

Wow, exciting looking project. Questions about whether that's EIFS or not, go!

To have Meritage move downtown would be a great addition. I believe they're out on the East Beltline by Twisted Rooster (which they own).

9127358516_b8315c7a89_o.png

9125139617_986ffb4389_o.jpg

This looks great. Cool to see they may have the Office space filled. That would definitely help the project move forward. 

Happy to see Orion building downtown. I wonder if there we'll see any sort of Rockford Construction vs. Orion Construction oneupmanship (for those following along at home, John Wheeler founded Rockford Construction and is now at Orion).

Also, last I knew, Meritage was on the second level of the strip mall next to the Knapp Meijer (where Koeze's, Spoonlickers and a Meritage owned Wendy's is located).

Joe 

This looks great. Cool to see they may have the Office space filled. That would definitely help the project move forward. 

Happy to see Orion building downtown. I wonder if there we'll see any sort of Rockford Construction vs. Orion Construction oneupmanship (for those following along at home, John Wheeler founded Rockford Construction and is now at Orion).

Also, last I knew, Meritage was on the second level of the strip mall next to the Knapp Meijer (where Koeze's, Spoonlickers and a Meritage owned Wendy's is located).

Joe 

I believe they moved to the other side of the street to be in Grand Rapids Twp. I seem to recall an article in the BJ a while back...

Looking good!  It's going to be highly visible from 131 and from Ionia Ave.  I wonder what the next [adjective/bird species] restaurant will be.

Unless these are really tall, I doubt they'll be seen. They're sited between the Van and the Buildings along Grandville, and besides, the S curve is banked to the south at that point, away from the dvelopment.

Unless these are really tall, I doubt they'll be seen. They're sited between the Van and the Buildings along Grandville, and besides, the S curve is banked to the south at that point, away from the dvelopment.

You can see the whole site from 131.  The big drawback is that you'll see more blank wall than curved glass.  I would prefer the curved glass portion to face the highway.

when I went before the HPC, they just had to decide if a particular feature fit in with the historic character of my house.  there aren't many hard and fast rules with regards to what is allowed and not allowed.  I don't think that they could argue that balconies are not a historic feature. as far as I know they've been around for hundreds of years.  

Edited by jas49503