158 Weston SW - Arena Place Mixed-Use Development

John E

lol, they are just windows. but when we first moved there my roommate and I would climb out there and drink beers until lthey slapped our wrists lol. I feel like we had this discussion a few years back and it was said that balconies dont fit into heartside....

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what time the announcement is expected?

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/more-arena-district-plans-unveiled

Whoa, WOODTV is getting its numbers and projects mixed up.

It says this afternoon but I don't know what time. Are they going to do it at the building site? I might wander over if that is the case.

Joe

Email or message me Joe. It's not on the site, but you can come join me if you want.

WOOD's 2nd photo accompanying the story?

It's a map of downtown highlighting Devos Place, the GRAM and VAA.

These locations in the Arena District are already showcasing ArtPrize art as of Thursday. (Sept. 15, 2011)

So much fail.  :dontknow: 

WOOD's 2nd photo accompanying the story?

It's a map of downtown highlighting Devos Place, the GRAM and VAA.

So much fail.  :dontknow:

"Hurry Robin! We need a map of downtown!"

"Can I use this ArtPrize one from 2011 Batman?"

"Of course, KERSMACK!"

Hanon McKendry will take up the majority of the office space. I was REALLY hoping for a new company (from the suburbs) but this is still going to be a great development. 

Joe

I'm surprised Meritage didn't move into this building, but they will be opening a new restaurant on the ground floor.

This...

The five-story building also is likely to house a restaurant and corporate headquarters for Meritage Hospitality Group, a Grand Rapids Township company that operates 113 restaurants in six states, according to Orion Construction, the building’s developer.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/07/major_tenants_announced_for_28.html#incart_river

...seems to indicate otherwise. Is MLive just inaccurate?

This...

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/07/major_tenants_announced_for_28.html#incart_river

...seems to indicate otherwise. Is MLive just inaccurate?

The guy from Meritage seemed non-committal that they were moving their offices there. And the press release doesn't indicate anything about that either, just the restaurant.

• 3 months later...

better then a big parking lot :whistling:

I just had to turn in my parking pass today for this "big parking lot" as I work next door in the Beene Garter building.  While it personally stinks for me as I will have to walk a few blocks instead of 25 feet to get to work, I do see the benefit to the city.  Most discouraging will be the fact that I'll no longer be able to look out my wall of windows where I can now regularly see the activity streatching from Ottawa to Ionia and from the arena to the Globe apartments.  In a year I'll either have the view of a wall or someones apartment across an alley!  At least I'll get to watch the construction up close.  I know, this is good change, but give me a few days to feel be depressed.  I'll feel better once they start digging. :stop:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

DDA Board is taking up a development agreement request on this project Wednesday morning.

Edit: according to the agenda docs (if I'm reading them correctly), the DDA is executing a purchase agreement with Arena Place to sell the lot for $2.25 Million, and that APD (Arena Place Development) has obtained all financing for the project. The estimated construction cost has risen to $44 Million...yada yada yada...guaranteed completion date of April 2016.... ipsum plurum unum...it's now 60,000 sf of commercial space, 101 residential units, 15,200 sf ground floor "active space," 250 parking spaces...

I'm going to try and make the meeting Wednesday.

Wow, exciting looking project. Questions about whether that's EIFS or not, go!

To have Meritage move downtown would be a great addition. I believe they're out on the East Beltline by Twisted Rooster (which they own).

9127358516_b8315c7a89_o.png

9125139617_986ffb4389_o.jpg

I was really hoping it would stay looking like this!

Edited by SupercityGR

Just found the same. As expected, newer design. Quite a bit taller. And Miller Johnson moving from the Calder Plaza office building.

I personally don't like when they do that with the parking levels. At least dress it up to look like the rest of the building, so you can't tell it's parking. It looks like a badly designed cake.

11825167533_72c01121f5_o.jpg

11825674476_071ee0b5ae_o.jpg

11825674636_5618a43353_o.jpg

11825674976_5ee4c1dff6_o.jpg