158 Weston SW - Arena Place Mixed-Use Development

John E

Wish it were 12 stories. 

Just kidding, I was thinking the same thing today when I was driving through Heartside. If the Arena South vision ever comes to fruition,with developments like this packed into that area, it won't even feel like Grand Rapids anymore. (not the GR we're all used to)

Growing up in Lapeer, living in a large, developing city is really exciting to me.

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tower cranes are typically rented statewide, or even regionally. As one might guess, they are enormously expensive to rent and operate. Once the heavy lifting is done, the contractor will be pleased to get it out of there as soon as possible. From now on, I'd expect all the lifting to be done with man lifts and an occasional truck crane or crawler.

18 hours ago, GRCentro said:

Tower cranes are typically rented statewide, or even regionally. As one might guess, they are enormously expensive to rent and operate. Once the heavy lifting is done, the contractor will be pleased to get it out of there as soon as possible. From now on, I'd expect all the lifting to be done with man lifts and an occasional truck crane or crawler.

Yes but there are a couple other projects breaking ground that might be using a tower crane, specifically one by Orion a couple blocks away :)

On 11/9/2015, 7:37:20, joeDowntown said:

Noticed in an article linked on another thread that Cascade Center for Rehabilitation and Option 1 Credit Union are confirmed for part of the retail space in Arena Place.

Joe

Already mentioned but Option One confirmed- http://www.grbj.com/articles/83929-arena-place-names-next-tenant

I am assuming the Cascade Ctr for Rehabilitation is The Center for Physical Rehabilitation?  If it is, they have 4 locations all in the 4 quadrants of GR, wondering if this would be a 5th, central location.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I'm torn on this. I'm all for screening that dreadful parking situation but this isn't sitting well. I can't quite put it into words, I'll have to see it in person. Just from a first glance the vertical panels seem too close together. Reminds me of HVAC screening.

The picture is not very good. The battery in my camera died so I had to use my phone in poor lighting conditions. They are just as you describe, like giant A/C unit louvers. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=louvers&biw=1280&bih=619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv28XP4tvKAhXJ6yYKHat2A08Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=louvers+on+parking+ramp&imgrc=_

9 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The picture is not very good. The battery in my camera died so I had to use my phone in poor lighting conditions. They are just as you describe, like giant A/C unit louvers. 

I believe a common refrain during most initial architectural review discussions is, "Hmmm... it's nice but, what would really set this building off would be more louvers." 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...