158 Weston SW - Arena Place Mixed-Use Development

John E

7 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

Why not? There's two Starbucks, two Jimmy Johns, two Old World Olive Presses.

I think closing the McKay Tower location would be a mistake, it's usually  fairly busy when I'm in there, and in a high profile location; but it is a super small location.

McKay is staying open, I am not even sure it is the same franchise owner

On March 17, 2016 at 4:41 PM, GRDadof3 said:

40 new workers to Grand Rapids and downtown. Sounds like they're building this office from scratch? 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2016/03/fast-growing_staffing_agency_b.html

IT recruiting is going to be a competitive market in the area.  OST already has been doing it along with Otterbase and a few others.  40 people is a pretty big leap, hope they stay afloat.

The hard part, getting people here, area companies often pay too little.

On 11/29/2015 at 1:56 PM, ctpgr34 said:

Already mentioned but Option One confirmed- http://www.grbj.com/articles/83929-arena-place-names-next-tenant

I am assuming the Cascade Ctr for Rehabilitation is The Center for Physical Rehabilitation?  If it is, they have 4 locations all in the 4 quadrants of GR, wondering if this would be a 5th, central location.

Confirmation from C for P R- http://www.grbj.com/articles/84830-physical-therapy-clinic-moves-into-downtown

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Does anyone know if there are plans to screen the large HVAC units on the roof?

If I was a betting man I would say no. If they can't manage to screen the parking deck, they sure as heck aren't going to screen the HVAC.

BTW, nice pics Kevin.  Thanks for bringing your pics over to UP! 

Edited by mpchicago

1 hour ago, droonus2000 said:

Had to look up their website. Maru Sushi and One Carlton are about all I came up with, and both seemed to have strong NA involvement. Gazelle Sports is pretty nice as far as big boxes go, but nothing to write home about. 

They did Cedar Springs Brewing too, I liked that.

Edited by RegalTDP

It's pretty sad when the Internets says everything you build is ugly, and the best thing is a brewery that isn't even as attractive (in my opinion) on the exterior as an old warehouse.  And when your reputation for building ugly barf buildings and not caring seems to be so bad that virtually no one thinks something like this would be fixed.  Ouch.

Edited by x99

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wheelhouse appears to be almost open. I was thinking it was going in on the other end of the building. Your screening is in place, oh great citizens of Grand Rapids. 

Yes!  I thought it was going to be down in the office tower section too!   

I think it's always going to look unfinished.  I particularly love the gap between the parking screen, the support beam, and the apartment building.   #halfassed.

Edited by mpchicago

28 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Yes!  I thought it was going to be down in the office tower section too!   

I think it's always going to look unfinished.  I particularly love the gap between the parking screen, the support beam, and the apartment building.   #halfassed.

I know, it's like the building has highwaters on. "Joe, did you say 28.5 feet tall louvers?! I thought you said 27.5 feet louvers. Doh!"

I like how they carried the black masonry all the way up between the commercial and apartment buildings (seriously), but then it looks like someone missed that on the side elevation of the apartments. So the apartment buildings looks like a modular home set on top of the parking garage. We're a modular world, so our housing should look modular. 

• Like 2