158 Weston SW - Arena Place Mixed-Use Development

John E

Another sunny day today before the rain moves in for the week. 

17334262971_a51dd88ebf_b.jpg

I would guess they're about to start on the actual "building" levels, and the parking levels are finished. 

14807600383_0a71668fd9_z.jpg

17334264841_d54711bcc1_b.jpg

I hope this is just temporary placement for this dumpster:

17147079600_bacd677e9d_b.jpg

Yeah, it was an awesome piece of work. Would be great if the artist could come back and work on another building. 

And is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed when they rename old buildings? The Fox Family Building? Bah! Keep the names of old buildings as-is. :)

Joe

For those not familiar, the artwork mentioned is Daan Hoekstra's 2009 ArtPrize entry Humanity at the Crossroads. I guess the construction of Arena Place adds a twist to the theme of the piece. Maybe the mural is close enough to the street that folks will still notice it and take a peak in the alley.

634x375aP9270619_851.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oE9On2YwBnk

Edited by Quercus

For those not familiar, the artwork mentioned is Daan Hoekstra's 2009 ArtPrize entry Humanity at the Crossroads. I guess the construction of Arena Place adds a twist to the theme of the piece. Maybe the mural is close enough to the street that folks will still notice it and take a peak in the alley.

634x375aP9270619_851.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oE9On2YwBnk

As long as the dumpster's not in the way..

I thought it'd be cool to turn that entire alley into a "mural" alley, that would draw people in to see Hoekstra's work. IIRC, He drove himself all the way up from central Mexico in an old beat up pickup to create the mural. 

Outside of the fact that they have a name that sucks what's the story behind you lack of excitement for "DMG" moving in?

Sort of ironic that a marketing firm has what may take the grand prize for absurdly stupid business name...  At least until DoMoreGood convinces a hardware store they should  rebrand as SnazzBurgerPizzaCream. 

• Like 1

Sort of ironic that a marketing firm has what may take the grand prize for absurdly stupid business name...  At least until DoMoreGood convinces a hardware store they should  rebrand as SnazzBurgerPizzaCream. 

I think the name came from a merger with CSK Group out of Colorado Springs.  Yet I don't see much change in the CSK branding only Hannon.

I think the name came from a merger with CSK Group out of Colorado Springs.  Yet I don't see much change in the CSK branding only Hannon.

I believe that merger is dead, or it's not really a merger anymore? Not sure if any of the CSK people are left? Although there is still a cache of clients from that area listed on their website (Focus on the Family being the big one that is HQ'd in Colo Springs). 

I believe that merger is dead, or it's not really a merger anymore? Not sure if any of the CSK people are left? Although there is still a cache of clients from that area listed on their website (Focus on the Family being the big one that is HQ'd in Colo Springs). 

Seeing as Mindscape has separated from DoMoreGood.  And CSK group has changed names to  SIGNAL CSK  that might be true.  But it still seems like there is some work share going on.  Probably because of the crossover in clients served.  Christian based organizations that have GR roots or satellites.

Personally, I think we'll all like the building when it is done and we're getting overly worked up about something that we'd bitch about if the project was announced and then fell through. And as far as the mural goes, it is one of my favorite ArtPrize pieces, but it seemed somewhat temporary in design and technique. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the mural would have faded away sooner than later (and in my head, almost by design). [shrug].

Joe

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This building changes the area dramatically. Imagine when its more finished and not bare beams.

Wish it were 12 stories. 

Just kidding, I was thinking the same thing today when I was driving through Heartside. If the Arena South vision ever comes to fruition,with developments like this packed into that area, it won't even feel like Grand Rapids anymore. (not the GR we're all used to)

Edited by GRDadof3