University Town Center

Justiceham

A large mixed use development is well underway in Murfreesboro, TN. Aspen Height residential development will provide a variety of homes for students and families and is a part of the much larger University Town Center being developed by CBRE. The town center is under construction and will provide more than 500,000 sq. ft. of major retail. Additional uses will include MTSU space for new academic programs, a golf course, and Regal Movie Theater. The development is adjacent to Wal-mart Super Center and will have entrances from John Bragg Highway (Hwy. 70) and Rutherford Boulevard. Other establishments already in the area are Zaxby's, Starbucks, Hibbett Sports, Sally Beauty Supply, and other small restaurants.

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/A/C/E/ACE6CFE5-A510-45AA-8017-0A74B132B6AD.pdf

http://looplink.natl.cbre.com/xNet/Looplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?stid=cbre7&LID=17823151&LL=true&PinProfile=true&UOMListing=&UOMMoneyCurrency=&RentPer=PY&SRID=3303046931

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the sprawl but this amount of retail is needed on the eastern side of the city. Everything is pretty much concentrated along I-24 between Med. Center Pkwy and Old Fort Pkwy. Plus, more student housing is needed because MTSU just can't keep up.

I hate the sprawl but this amount of retail is needed on the eastern side of the city. Everything is pretty much concentrated along I-24 between Med. Center Pkwy and Old Fort Pkwy. Plus, more student housing is needed because MTSU just can't keep up.

That said, it seems to be 'same ol story' for Murfreesboro. More big box retail, more low-medium density housing. When I look at MTSU's housing situation, I think about how much underused land they have on campus. I realize that many students want to live off campus...but I think MTSU could fit so many more into that space if they would just build up a little bit. UT isn't that much bigger than MTSU (modestly, when you throw in the number of grad students)...but they have at least 6 fairly large parking garages. Can Middle not do the same? UT also has a number of dorms in the 8-14 story range. It's almost as if MTSU doesn't realize they are as big as they are. The same could be said with Murfreesboro as a city. Rather than building up, they're continuing to spread out.

Is there a need for retail on that side of town? Yes, probably so. My worry is that rather than infill sprawl (towards Nashville) this will spark more outgoing sprawl down towards Woodbury.

• 2 months later...

I'm not certain if this is part of the University Town Center development, but a request has been made to annex 274 acres south of John Bragg Highway (Highway 70 S) for the University Villas apartments. The Murfreesboro planning commission will hear a request on August 7th.

http://www.murfreesborotn.gov/DocumentCenter/View/804

Archived