Cackalack Origin?

Mr.Marc

I haven't posted on this site in years and recently thought about it when I happened to be thinking of where the origin of the term Cackalacky came from. I have searched and searched the internet and asked around but no one seems to know the origin. Some people told me that it originated in and is used to mainly refer to North Carolina (which I must say highly offended me  :dunno: ), others say it started with rappers mentioning it in their songs in the late 80s to early 90s. Some people stated that they have heard the term long before then. So my question is....where does the term come from? Do you consider it to be an offensive term or one of endearment? Personally, I think it's a cool nickname but I'd like to know more about the history of it so someone please school me . 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard various stories about this term. I think the term is much older than the 1980s, possibly dating to antebellum times or before. I have heard or read that it isa Gullah mispronunciation of "Carolina" (which would be in line with the way that language sounds). Growing up in South Carolina, I always interpreted it as a reference to "Carolina," however, since I moved to North Carolina I've learned that people who are from here say that the term only means 'North Carolina.'  In my view, you can't have a term that to me clearly indicates its intent to mean "Carolina" and not have it apply to both states. So, while it's possible that the term originated in North Carolina and was meant as a reference to 'North Carolina,' the fact is that the meaning of the word has clearly evolved to refer to both states. Similarly, the term "Carolina" used to only refer to South Carolina, even after North Carolina was created. My point in the debate is that words change meaning over time, and this is clearly a case where that has happened.

There is an old saying that "North Carolina is a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit" (referring to SC and VA's antebellum affluence and prominence). However, I find that more and more the opposite is true in modern times.

Thanks, Gigalopolis. The term being Gullah influenced makes a lot of sense. However, since the Gullah region is mainly in SC and a portion of GA, I'd like to think that would mean the term originated here. In any regard, I like the term and never once found it offensive.

Archived