Urban Apartment Boom (Durham)

orulz

I'd like to start compiling a list of the apartment buildings projects planned, underway or recently completed in Durham as well. Since I don't follow Durham development as closely as that in Raleigh, I'm sure I'm missing plenty. Here is the list so far. Anyone keen to fill in the gaps?

Partly based on my own research, partly based on this list compiled by Bull City Rising

Downtown area(Loop, West Village, American Tobacco)

West Village phase I & II (453 units) - completed

American Tobacco apartments (70 units) - completed

Center City Tower (133 units) - proposed

West Village phase III (156 units) - proposed

Liberty Warehouse (250 units) - proposed

605 West Chapel Hill St (342 units) - demolition underway?

Greenfire / Armada Hoffler project (208 units) - proposed

9th / Broad area

Station Nine (323 units) - completed

Circle 9th Street (303 units) - construction

300 Swift (202 units) - construction

Circle Main Street (208 units) - proposed

Erwin Road / Duke West Campus area

Lofts at Lakeview (352 units) - completed

Trinity Commons (239 units) - completed

Tower at Lakeview (320 units) - proposed

Erwin Terrace Apartments (?? units) - completed

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Durham City/County Planning Department has a flash-based web map up, called Development Tracker.

I wish it more simply displayed the major projects, like you have outlined, but I don't think the general public is the natural audience.  Still, you should find it useful.

The Greenfire project across from the bus station is now listed as a 208-unit project.  Ah, Greenfire.  It just makes me sad to think of them anymore.

I had seen that site before but struggled to find anything useful. After poking around a bit more, I found that most of the action is going on at "Search Cases -> Minor Site Plan".

This gives me a few data points to use to update the list. Thanks!

Regarding Greenfire, for this apartment project they have Armada Hoffler on board so hopefully it will actually go somewhere.

• 6 months later...

Under Construction

- WV III

- 605 W Chapel Hill

- Circle/ Crescent Main

- Greenfire/ Armada

Almost complete

- Southside Phase I

- Circle/ Crescent Ninth

- Riggsbee St. Co-Housing Project ~80 units

That is over 1500 apartments within a mile of City Center!

It will be great to see the Liberty Warehouse and City Center Tower projects break ground.  The West Village III building is probably most important since institutional money is on the table.  Its success could put Durham on the radar of other public REITs.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would post some more info on the Southside redevelopment. The first units will be opening soon. I think this area will be popular. It will also transfer some of the momentum from downtown proper and American Tobacco/Warehouse District to the areas just south of the Durham Freeway.http://durhamnc.gov/ich/cb/cdd/Documents/SSB.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think the difference between Durham and Raleigh is that there is a sufficient amount of brainpower driving the developments with a common goal of creating a intellectual urban environment whereas Raleigh is just a bunch of suits looking to slap up buildings.

I was gonna frame it as a bunch of bros in khakis and croakies who prefer the Cameron Village lens on life over a real downtown lens who are doing the renting...

I was gonna frame it as a bunch of bros in khakis and croakies who prefer the Cameron Village lens on life over a real downtown lens who are doing the renting...

Perfect! I have been out of the South for a few years but that image makes me gack! Maybe some forward thinking Raleigh folks will pull up stakes and head down to the Bull City. 

Before we go anointing Durham the best place for urban design, let us not forget they have some of (if not THE) most bland and basic apartments going up in and near their downtown...605 West (http://www.605westapartments.com/index.php/prop/home) and another complex at Willard/Jackson Streets near the bus station.

The point being, there is a lack of good architecture all around the Triangle, and I hope someone steps up to the plate soon with something more interesting than big slab sided buildings.

• 4 months later...

Not a map, but interesting information. The new 156 apartment building at West Village between Main and Morgan under construction was originally going to be accompanied by a second, 44-unit building just to the north between Morgan and Fernway, but that was postponed by the developer due to some issue with the Historic Preservation Commission. The building was canceled at that point but it may be resurrected at some point. article

That Harris Teeter is a total cluster. 

Most likely because of the way the ingress/egress is for vehicular traffic.  It's easy to get in, but can be an absolute nightmare at times to get out of as you can't go back the same way you came.

I think the difference between Durham and Raleigh is that there is a sufficient amount of brainpower driving the developments with a common goal of creating a intellectual urban environment whereas Raleigh is just a bunch of suits looking to slap up buildings.

Well, based on the pictures just recently posted, I'd say the majority of new buildings in Durham are just as bland as Raleigh.

• 3 months later...

Archived