TIF's...Good or Bad?

richyb83

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What hotel don't we have that could go downtown in that building? W, Hyatt, or a second Marriott or full Holiday Inn??

In my opinion, what's cool about W's (or at least the nola one) stand out a little from their surroundings. I just don't see this having the same opportunity unless they demolish the existing building, which is what bums me out about it. It just seems like another hotel.

• 1 year later...

I will have to recount the #number of Downtown Hotel Rooms...are they already factoring Wampold's Watermark hotel renovation a block away?? Saying 1,200? with Courtyard addition? which I'd prefer bec it will be a new built from the ground-up project on the Third Street parking lot @ Florida St....the old-vintage Watermark should have been residential instead

POLL in A.M. Business Report.....

Should the Metro Council approve a tax increment financing district to help fund construction of a Courtyard Marriott hotel downtown?

>>>Yes.... All of the other new hotels downtown got a TIF and this one should, too.

>>>No.... At some point the council needs to stop creating TIFs for hotel developments downtown.

>>>I’m undecided

Does Baton Rouge's downtown now have too many hotel rooms? Council questions TIF, website reports

http://www.nola.com/business/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2015/07/does_baton_rouges_downtown_now.html

*Watermark shown in the background

16606861-mmmain_zpsafz9uxe7.jpg

I say yes,  they want it to be a 24 hour destination so they need to focus on nightlife and high paying jobs to attract young professionals and tourist.  

So what you're saying is that they should let the market inflate and then burst? They should let more hotels take up valuable space that instead could work on creating a local population or adding more attractions? Or more office space?

TIFS can be good to spur initial development. You could offer some pretty nice incentives to place a sweet development in NBR which include a TIF. Once an area starts to stand on its own two feet they shouldn't be used. Even for areas that need them they should be used sparingly.

So what you're saying is that they should let the market inflate and then burst? They should let more hotels take up valuable space that instead could work on creating a local population or adding more attractions? Or more office space?

I meant to say no,  I was saying add more office space  which could add more high paying jobs for young professionals . Downtown to add to its nightlife if it want to be a 24 hour destination. Now I do think the TIF's could be used for other thing other than hotels it could be use to grow Mid City. Mid City is the gateway for redevelopment in North Baton Rouge.

I meant to say no,  I was saying add more office space  which could add more high paying jobs for young professionals . Downtown to add to its nightlife if it want to be a 24 hour destination. Now I do think the TIF's could be used for other thing other than hotels it could be use to grow Mid City. Mid City is the gateway for redevelopment in North Baton Rouge.

That's what I thought you were trying to say, I apologize for the harsh tone. 

I agree though, Mid City is the gateway not just for NBR redevelopment, but the gateway for Baton Rouge's future. 

Archived