Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
temporary.name

Is It Time To Bring Back The West Michigan Grand Prix To Downtown Grand Rapids? [Poll]

6 posts in this topic

Even if they could get the money now, Steen says a reprise is unlikely now because of all of the changes and development downtown.

Monaco seems to handle it just fine, and they've got far less space to work with than we do.  The tight spaces of that track help make it even more famous, actually.

I think when people pose questions like these, it should be something that the CITY could possibly do, or the DDA. The city would never put on something like this, as it doesn't really put on any of its own events. I'm sure if someone came to them with a good solid plan for this, the city would consider it (like they did Bike Week(end) and Rock The Rapids).

I don't understand what they mean by how the "changes and development" downtown make organizing the event more difficult.  There hasn't been much change along the route.  Are they worried about running into conflicts with future construction projects that spill into the street?

It was a great circuit, by the way.

176669005_38e92bdcd8.jpg

I don't understand what they mean by how the "changes and development" downtown make organizing the event more difficult.  There hasn't been much change along the route.  Are they worried about running into conflicts with future construction projects that spill into the street?

It was a great circuit, by the way.

176669005_38e92bdcd8.jpg

It was a cool course. And strangely I remember that the Monroe Center ramp where Leo's is now was not there and they had an outdoor half pipe for skateboarders going on??  And a big bounce house? Anyone else remember that? They also had a children's play area in the parking lot where the JW Marriott now stands. So weird to think about.

I agree I don't really see what the difference would be logistically. Some of those streets are in horrible shape (Pearl for instance) and would have to be seriously brought up to a better state.

I could very easily see those "playgrounds" being at the BOB.  And if it were me, I'd change that little section of Ionia to go down Louis and Fulton, because every good circuit needs a hairpin.  Something those oval-loving nascar fans could learn a thing or two about.  I certainly don't see how any logistics may have changed, though.  Perhaps the guy who said that never really goes downtown and just knows "downtown" has changed?  I suppose the JW Ramp may cause some complications for guests, necessitating that they commandeer another ramp and provide shuttle service to and from the Amway for JW guests, but that's about all I can think of, really.