Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smeagolsfree

St Louis Photo thread

7 posts in this topic

About 12 years ago I spent a month in a corporate rental unit in one of the ugly buildings in that first photo!  The only real redeeming feature was that it had a lovely view of the Union Station.  I would imagine that these buildings are from about the same time as Nashville's Capital Towers...nothing fancy about either development by today's standards!

St. Louis does, indeed, have some outstanding older building stock and the Basilica is nothing short of stunning!!!

Great job, Smeagolsfree. I've never been to St. Louis so it was really interesting to get such an in depth tour. St. Louis sure has a lot of great buildings and a lot going for it in the future.I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Nice photo's Ron. I have not been there since the mid 1990's, but I'll tell you Nashville has a long way to go before it's a "real" city. St. Louis is stellar.

Excellent shots, Ron. And, as 5th & Main notes, seeing this type city is humbling as we all realize how small and "less-then-urban" Nashville is. I've been to St. Louis three times (two of which I thoroughly explored the city) and find it a wonderful place. 

WW

Nashville could only learn from a photo thread like this, but alas we won't unless it effects the tourist trade. Great thread Ron.

I think that I have eaten at the restauarant in the historic building that you have pictured. 

Also, that very last photo looks a lot like the building that used to house the bar called Magnolia's (or "Mags") and the old Bad Dog.  Madrigals went way downhill, and I stopped going there, and Bad Dog moved to a new spot off of Vandeventer Ave, which is cleaner and much larger, and with a large parking lot.  Still a gritty area, but nowhere near as gritty as the old Bad Dog.

I really like the Soulard area just south of downtown.  They have (or used to have) a Mardi Gras parade in that area.  St. Louis does have a lot of French history, perhaps even more than New Orleans.  Of course, St. Louis is named after King Louis XIV.  The Soulard area also has a pretty awesome turn-of-the-century City Market (farmer's market) building.  You have also captured some of the Richardsonian Romanesque details and even the 2nd Empire-style buildings that St. Louis boasts.  There is a pretty gritty industrial area called Laclede's Landing next to downtown, which is supposed to have a lot of nightclubs and things like that.  I'm not into that scene, so I only drove through there in the daytime and wasn't too impressed.  But maybe it's one of those had-to-be-there things.

St. Louis does have a lot of stunning older buildings, but a lot of crappy new ones.  Lots of boxy blankness, which is especially apparent near the riverfront.  But St. Louis was one of the biggest cities in America at the turn of the last Century and benefitted from the City Beautiful movement that was going on at that time.  St. Louis was in competition with Chicago and Detroit, and in terms of turn-of-the-century architecture that really shows in all three cities.  It's just that Chicago's architectural competitiveness continues to the present day, whereas that is not the case with St. Louis (and definitely not Detroit).

Edited by bwithers1