350 N. Main Street hotel.

gman430

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Having two restaurants indicates that it might be a quality addition (despite what brand it may end up being). Their current downtown property has/had me a little nervous. I'm really not quite sure what to expect design wise, but hopefully it will be a strong addition to the North End.

The Ogletree building desperately needs to be renovated to add retail on the first floor. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wasn't familiar with Home2 Suites by Hilton, so I looked it up.  It's basically their version of the modern/eco-friendly 2.5 star hotel concept like Aloft.  Yawn.

What's worse is that instead of 300 rooms, we get half that with this hotel.  Maybe they are scared off by the other hotels recently announced downtown.

I wasn't familiar with Home2 Suites by Hilton, so I looked it up. It's basically their version of the modern/eco-friendly 2.5 star hotel concept like Aloft. Yawn.

What's worse is that instead of 300 rooms, we get half that with this hotel. Maybe they are scared off by the other hotels recently announced downtown.

Sorry but not everybody including myself can afford the five star hotels. It's nice to see diversity in price range/star level hotels coming downtown.

Sorry but not everybody including myself can afford the five star hotels. It's nice to see diversity in price range/star level hotels coming downtown.

I'm not complaining because it's a 2.5 star hotel, but because I personally don't think the modern/minimalist vibe hotels like Aloft and Home2 Suites are a good fit for downtown Greenville.  I am sure they will do decent business, but it seems dumb to me to restrict yourself to the mostly 20-40 crowd when a lot of people who are traveling to downtown Greenville and staying overnight are in the 40-70 range and don't care about staying somewhere "hip."  Many of these travelers will find it weird, just as many do who mistakenly book a room at a W hotel thinking it's a regular Westin.

Hampton Inn and Marriott Courtyard are also in the 2.5-3 star range, but they appeal to a broader demographic in my opinion.  But as I said in my previous post, I hope I'm wrong.

Naturally, I’m disappointed that this is not a 50-story hotel, but eh, what the heck.  :-)

New construction north of the Hyatt may end up “extending” Main Street, maybe even encourage more stores, clubs, and restaurants. (In other words – jobs.)  It would be nice to see that part of Main finally getting the same improvements the rest of the street has.  As of now, you don’t want to venture past the (always known as) Daniel Building at night.  Maybe even during the day, for that matter.

The primary reason most pedestrians don't venture past Beattie Place / College Street is that there is almost nothing to see or do beyond that point. Springwood Cemetery is the only public attraction along that stretch until you cross over Academy. No storefronts, no restaurants, just one small "park" outside Springwood. The Home2 building will not encourage more pedestrian traffic unless it brings something unique to that area (Holiday Inn Express is already near that intersection). A taller building with a top floor restaurant would have helped. This would be another plain, single-use building with minimal interaction along North Main Street. A colossal waste of prime CBD real estate, in my opinion.

• 5 weeks later...

Better than a parking lot? Yes, however, any building constructed on this site is likely to remain for at least another thirty years. We will basically eliminate a prime piece of commercial real estate within the heart of our limited downtown "highrise district". Personally, I would prefer the lot remain vacant another year or two so that a more substantial development may be considered. A few years is a tiny fraction of the next thirty years. We don't know how much the demand for such properties will increase by 2043, however, the supply will be significantly more limited without a long-term vision.

Archived