• 605 Chestnut Street (Chatt)
    • Jaycee Towers (Chatt)
    • Gayoso Place (Mem)
    • Other

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Since Bellsouth is my favorite and seems to be a lot of other folks as well I decided to pick another and list my 2nd favorite building in the state. The Historic Maclellan Building in Chattanooga, Built in 1924 Emporis shows this building @ 13 floors and 158 ft high offically making it a highrise. I like the look of the old buildings with the ornate details... very nice

• 1 month later...

My vote might have gone to the First Tennessee Bank Building in Chattanooga if it still looked like this (tall building on the far right):

chattanoogaskyline1955.jpg

Instead, someone covered it with the current tacky sheet metal cladding, so now it looks like this.

Emporis

Hopefully, it will be removed and restored to its original beauty.

My vote might have gone to the First Tennessee Bank Building in Chattanooga if it still looked like this (tall building on the far right):

Instead, someone covered it with the current tacky sheet metal cladding, so now it looks like this.

Here, here. I've talked about this beautiful early 20th century gem before. If they could remove the hideous siding on the old Castner-Knott Department Store building in downtown Nashville, they can restore First Tennessee to its original grandour. :thumbsup:

chattanoogaskyline1955.jpg

Emporis

Looks identical to a building in Lexington, KY. I mean a virtual TWIN! Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The BellSouth bldg. is so ugly...i don't understand how anyone could like that bldg.

I actually think BellSouth looks good. Its the only building in Downtown Nashville that really stands out and oddly enough, it goes well with the city. Even after the Signature gets built, I think I'll still like BellSouth more. Its really a matter of opinion though so its not really something people can debate on.

However, my favorite skyscaper at night is the Hilton Memphis. East Memphis/Germantown is a pretty nice place to cruise around after dark.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to say ONE NASHVILLE PLACE (The old Dominion Tower). Thay never should have taken the lights down. The lights were an origional downtown. That building stood out from the rest before the Batman building. I say put the lights up!!!

You know, you're exactly right. That is something I feel is lacking from Nashville scrapers. I am not proposing that Nashville be like other cities, but cities like Dallas and Cincinnati have taken advantage of a bright and balanced skyline, especially Cincinnati, it's simply beautiful with the reds and oranges and blues that illuminate the sky at night time. I think that is something signature tower and a few other proposed towers should take care of, though.

• 1 month later...

The Lincoln-American Tower is a one-third scale replica of the Woolworth Building in NYC:

Following three photos courtesy of poster MCC from skyscrapercity.com:

34355383.jpg

34355427.jpg

34355355.jpg

According to downtownmemphis.com, the building is planned as "Mixed use development in three historically significant buildings which will include 80 apartments and 50,000sf of commercial space.":

courtsquarecenter.jpg

Man, looked at the work on Licoln-American Tower..As far as design/history, Memphis has the best towers but for a modern perspective (which I prefer), the Bellsouth but it took a while to grow onto me..

Man, looked at the work on Lincoln-American Tower..As far as design/history, Memphis has the best towers but for a modern perspective (which I prefer), the Bellsouth but it took a while to grow onto me..

Lincoln-American IS the most beautiful skyscraper in Tennessee, bar none (and I say that as a lifelong Nashvillian).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived