Sign in to follow this  
orlandoguy

College Park

As expected, the "we're only against it because it doesn't meet the codes!" argument was a 100% lie.  I think most everyone expected that to be the case.  They were just using that because they thought it would be enough to shut the project down.  When it didn't, they conveniently forgot the reasons they claimed they were against it.

http://bungalower.com/2014/12/top-ten-things-need-know-week-december-8-2014/

This scenario is why you shouldn't base your NIMBY motives on something unless that's ACTUALLY why you are opposed to a project.  Just admit you're some curmudgeon that doesn't want it, no matter what the options are.

• Like 4

Agreed. I live two blocks from the project and actually am happy to see what's there get torn down. What they would like there instead will never happen and is just a way to get people to support saying no. The city is not going to put a park in the island. Retail should front edgewater not Princeton. College park needs something to balance out the height of buildings due to the condos.

• Like 1

The redevelopment of the buildings along Edgewater is what has me most excited about this project. The Art Deco touches will really give some major curb appeal.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

The redevelopment of the buildings along Edgewater is what has me most excited about this project. The Art Deco touches will really give some major curb appeal.

Those buildings really could use some sprucing up. Maybe some architectural details added to the flat, featureless facades. What is there now looks like the side of a warehouse.

edgwtrdr01_01.jpg

I do like the turrets on each end, though. I suppose whatever they do, they'll keep those.

14 hours ago, metal93 said:

It might be a bit much, but it would be nice to see a little vertical treatment too, perhaps a false second floor?

If not a false second floor, heighten and maybe enhance the existing parapet.

I like it better than how it is now.  Edgewater is such a mish-mash of styles anyway.  I believe, during the bubble, that this lot was supposed to have a companion condo/retail project similar to the one across the street with the suntrust

I actually think this design fits in quite well with the art deco styles prevalent in the immediate area as well as Princeton/Ivanhoe.  Even if it didnt, i'd still love it -- art deco just works so well in Florida.

Edited by prahaboheme

Agreed with Prahboheme.  There is quite a bit of architectural style (or lack thereof) in the area.  This will match some of the better designed buildings, such as the Art Deco Publix, some of the older art deco/50s style small retail, drive-in type restaurants with outdoor spaces, etc.  Plus the arcade is awesome!

Considering all the noise my neighbors made about this when it was proposed, I haven't heard a peep since they started to build it.  There's was plenty of speculation that even the construction process would make Princeton traffic unbearable and kill the businesses near it on Edgewater...unsurprisingly, that has not been the case.  Personally, I'm looking forward to bringing some more folks into that area and cleaning up that blighted piece of property

• Like 2

The parking garage is going up fairly quick.   I think it's really going to improve the area when combined with the renovation of the existing retail.