College Park

orlandoguy

13 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Is there really such a high level of opposition to this project around the CP area?

I knew there was some initially, but I haven't heard anymore about it since it was approved.

Yes, lots of neighbors didn't want this project.  I think the attorney fees finally became too much for them to handle. Personally, this project for me replaces the eyesore of what was there before.

I purchased a home nearby a few years back. I wish this project had existed as I likely would have rented there first. Of the rental homes I saw in my price range, most aren't very well kept (including a few by my house). 

I believe it's good for the community as a whole for there to be more rental options. It won't make the landlords happy but competition from the princeton will motivate some to improve the homes to compete to get the desired rental rates. 

Edited by Kaz
  • Like 4

I'm not a big fan of painting all NIMBY's with the same broad brush.  I'm not excited with the design of the Princeton but I like the size and location.  Those that argued "it's ugly" have my sympathy.  Those that say the scale doesn't fit (most of them) have no leg to stand on. Before the Princeton was even a thing, neighborhood meetings were held and zoning was approved for that size at that location.  The developers stayed within the approved zoning., 

Example, I'm the biggest fan of the Yard, yet a devout NIMBY (I don't live there) of the Baldwin-Fairchild on grounds of size, fit and design.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kaz said:

Yes, lots of neighbors didn't want this project.  I think the attorney fees finally became too much for them to handle. Personally, this project for me replaces the eyesore of what was there before.

I purchased a home nearby a few years back. I wish this project had existed as I likely would have rented there first. Of the rental homes I saw in my price range, most aren't very well kept (including a few by my house). 

I believe it's good for the community as a whole for there to be more rental options. It won't make the landlords happy but competition from the princeton will motivate some to improve the homes to compete to get the desired rental rates. 

I just figured the intensity of it had died down somewhat by now.

According to some friends who live over there (so just secondhand hearsay) the hatred is real and still active.  Like was said, the fees pretty much made this a lost cause.  Except it was a lost cause the second the developer lived up to the agreed upon conditions.

It's true that NIMBY folks come in many different shapes/sizes.  However, on this project, the level of hypocrisy of those leading the charge was extremely high.  They basically stuck all of their eggs in one basket against this project and the developer said "Ok, it's going to cost a fortune, but I'll do that re-design" and the NIMBY folks here went "Oh, that wasn't really what we were opposed to.  We were actually just hoping that would deter you from doing it and lied."

I also subscribe to some sites with historic photos of central Florida and was surprised at the vitriol directed at the Wellesley condos that came up in a discussion of a 1950's-era view of Edgewater Drive. The Sun Bank building it replaced was completely non-descript (they had to add on to the structure back when First National of College Park began doing installment loans years ago) and uninspiring. Nevertheless, you would have thought the structure was an architectural masterpiece from the protests. Oddly, the photo which led to the discussion showed College Park at a time it was not much more than a highway with a couple of gas stations. Fascinating.

I should mention though that if we're preserving bank buildings, the Chase branch at Edgewater and Vassar (which started out life as a First Federal branch) is a good-looking '60's building. It, along with the 1960's Colonial-style Chase branches (originally Orlando Federal) are probably the last bank branches from that era still in use for their original purpose locally (some of the SunTrust branches are, but they've been refurbed so much they barely resemble their original designs.) HankStrong will notice a pattern of architecturally distinct S&L buildings given his love for the famous brise at American Federal on Orange Avenue <g> !

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 5:42 PM, Jernigan said:

I love that the garages go up first.   Makes all the NIMBYs shake that all their worst fears will be realized and that the whole project will be a concrete box.    

LOL, this is so true. Downtown Maitland City Centre put up their concrete monolith garage looming high and people are going nuts like that will be the finished product.

Edited by Pete C

On 2/5/2017 at 9:22 AM, JFW657 said:

I just figured the intensity of it had died down somewhat by now.

A portion of the NIMBY crowd is now focused on getting someone to run against Commissioner Stuart because he backed it.  It mostly misplaced anger, and I doubt they will get much support to oust him. Unlike the East Orange County folks that pushed Edwards out for his support of the Lake Pickett area developments, the anti-growth college park crowd is a vocal minority.  Most - including the business owners on Edgewater - seem to agree that this is definitely better than what was there

It's probably just an optical illusion caused by the camera lens, but from that 2nd picture above, it doesn't look like they left themselves much room to build the apartments out to the sidewalk.

Looking at this elevation from the Edgewater Dr side...

princelev.jpg

...and using the height dimension as a comparison reference, those apartments project out a good 40' or so from each side of the garage.

From the above photo, it appears as if there is only about 10'-15' from the side of the garage to the fence.

I also notice that, aside from a minor change in appearance, it seems that the garage has grown another level, from 5 to 6.

On 9/30/2014 at 9:56 PM, Bungalower-MattBroffman said:

Developer told us he wont go above the five floors...I think part of the reason is cost of construction in addition to knowing it won't make people happy.

http://bungalower.com/2014/09/council-votes-move-princeton-college-park-density-closer-edgewater-drive/

Looks like there was a bit of a redesign proposed...

Princeton_Transect.png

Looks like the portion nearest to Edgewater Dr has grown from 5 to 7 floors while one section further back has shrunk a couple of floors.

Based on the additional floor on the parking garage, I'd say this is likely what the finished project will be.

• Like 2