College Park

orlandoguy

1) Quick "up yours" to anyone complaining the Princeton will slow down traffic.   Apparently this wasn't an issue the other night when a pedestrian was mowed down by a truck at Smith and Edgewater in front of her family.

2) Thank goodness for board member and garage photographer extraordinaire @Kaz as I believe the news said that he (along with some Bishop Moore football players) were among the crowd of neighbors that lifted the truck off of the woman.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a CP resident who supports this project, I'm sort of enjoying the fact that it appears like the NIMBY's worst nightmare has come true (a huge monolithic structure surrounded by wasteland).  That said, I'm pretty surprised at how slow progress is on the actual residential structures both here and the Ivanhoe Village project on Alden. Seems like Lucerne and Modera will be done before these and I never would've expected that

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That sucks.

I've been there a couple of times and had planned to go by there again back in spring to pick up a bunch of annuals, but never got around to it. Lowe's and Walmart were so much closer I just went there instead.

Hate to see these old businesses go away.

On 6/9/2017 at 1:23 PM, Jernigan said:

This seems to be be moving slowly compared to what we are seeing in Maitland and Lucerne!  Not worried, just an observation.   

Yes, but, the one project in Maitland, the one at Sybelia, seems to have slowed down too; the garage seems to be done but no vertical construction- as of last week that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Some great old pics of CP from College Park Community Paper:

http://www.community-paper.com/2017/06/30/keeping-it-local-on-edgewater-drive/

I had to get my totally uncool Stride Rites from Wilson's Shoes to correct my flat feet (I guess it worked - I still run about 15 miles/week at the Y).

We used to go to the Toy Parade every couple of months to get the latest Matchbox catalog and use my lawn mowing money to buy the latest models.

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Some great old pics of CP from College Park Community Paper:

http://www.community-paper.com/2017/06/30/keeping-it-local-on-edgewater-drive/

I had to get my totally uncool Stride Rites from Wilson's Shoes to correct my flat feet (I guess it worked - I still run about 15 miles/week at the Y).

We used to go to the Toy Parade every couple of months to get the latest Matchbox catalog and use my lawn mowing money to buy the latest models.

I didn't move to Orlando until 1981, but I remember even back then Edgewater Dr was one of my favorite thoroughfares around here. Always had that small town Main St appeal.

• Like 1

Good to see more progress on the Princeton. I was getting concerned about the slow pace of construction, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm fine with wood frame being used, particularly on the first floor. I bet the NIMBYs have a hard time sleeping at night from seeing that giant side wall of the garage.

• Like 1

I'm sure that even the NIMBYs know that the garage wall will eventually be hidden by the residential facade when it's completed.

Gotta agree with questioning the wisdom of using wood framing on the bottom floor, though.

But I'm sure some engineers gave it the OK, otherwise it wouldn't be happening.

On 6/30/2017 at 8:04 PM, Jernigan said:

Dang.  Are these guys bidding on the Trump wall?

they won't get the bid if they are.  lol.

But to be fair, a few other projects seemed to be delayed as well though.  The one at the Ravinia site off Sybelia in Maitland comes to mind.  Maybe there was a back order of the wood unit wall frames or something b/c of all the demand right now in the area.