College Park

orlandoguy

The packing district, while calling back to what it was historically, seems like it is trying to hard to be "hipster" now. Also, I keep picturing the meat truck "Layla" scene from Goodfellas, not oranges being packed up for shipping up north.  LOL. 

Maybe we can call it NODO | COPA.

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

The packing district, while calling back to what it was historically, seems like it is trying to hard to be "hipster" now. Also, I keep picturing the meat truck "Layla" scene from Goodfellas, not oranges being packed up for shipping up north.  LOL. 

Maybe we can call it NODO | COPA.

So if they called it COPA, would that make this....

image002.jpg?resize=1068,673

....the COPA Cabana?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

We seem to be losing some of the former packing houses in the Packing District.

http://www.community-paper.com/2018/02/01/more-land-cleared-for-the-packing-district/

From the College Park Community Paper

Does anyone remember what that building looked like? Was it something worthwhile keeping, or was it a rather non-descript, generic looking industrial warehouse looking building?

I have a vague memory of something that wasn't particularly save-worthy.

Checked Google Maps Satellite and Street View, but the available pics are all post demolition.

Edit: My bad. I was looking at a different parcel closer to the intersection.

Here's the building in question:

gemaire3.png

gemaire1.png

Seems like they could've repurposed that building.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

One can imagine the kinds of things, both exterior and interior they could've done with that building. Even if they demo'd part of the back to make room for parking, they'd have still had a big section left to use for whatever.

I keep thinking of what they could've done with that vertical sign wall thing on the front which is/was just screaming for signage, both painted and neon or backlit, across the top.

Waste.

The thing of it is, most Dr Phillips buildings were built to withstand nuclear attack like an old Western Electric phone. The darn things are all up and down OBT and downtown. 

They Eisenhowered the front of it so it's pretty hideous but, once upon a time when it was Crown Cork and Seal it was white with little portholes in the front. The back had huge windows like the Amazon Hose and Rubber building around the corner and could have been some killer lofts. Oh well, another piece of Orlando history bites the dust.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 1:04 PM, spenser1058 said:

More about the move of the Orlando Tennis Center from the Davis Armory at Creative Village to the Packing District:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-cfb-real-estate-orlando-packing-district-tennis-20180316-story.html

From the Sentinel

OMG.  I clicked on the article-- and I thought it said "Maglev."  LMAO.

• 1 month later...

I continue to be impressed with the amazing diversity of shopping choices popping up in College Park. They've got a little bit of everything from Dollar Tree to the latest, Saxon-Clark upscale home furnishings (not to mention one of the most famous Publix facades), all along a walkable stretch.

What once was a typical Mayberryesque downtown nearly fell apart in the '70's and '80's but is back and more than holding its own today. The range of housing options also continues to be quite broad although, like most of metro Orlando prices are beginning to get a little out of hand.

The College Park crowd also tends to be fully invested in the neighborhood and the local schools have amazing support from the community.

http://bungalower.com/2018/05/08/saxon-clark-opening-new-furniture-store-in-college-park/

From Bungalower

• Like 1

I've long wondered why the edgewater commercial district has not received some TLC from the city. I really think this stretch would be significantly  improved with a streetscape beautification project (ornamental lamps, extended sidewalks, shade trees). With the right attention, I don't see why Edgewater couldn't rival Park Ave or Plant St. 

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

I suspect, more than anything else, it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." While I also think it would be a great idea, after surviving the road diet and Wellesley/Princeton battles, I think there was a call for a separate peace.

After a few years, I think we can revisit it as the neighborhood continues to move forward. Since both Buddy and Robert Stuart are longtime residents, I think they are cautious about rocking their neighbors' boats.

In some ways it's a lot like the Audubon Park Sidewalk War. In that one, Patty had to get herself redistricted and the retired military folks had to die off or move to Brevard before something as simple as sidewalks could be allowed.

• Like 1

Edgewater is really one of the best things that CP has going for it. It isn't downtown, but it has its own downtown feel on the main strip around Princeton. Good options for stores/restaurants, decent parks, and good scale, "not quite urban" living with fairly immediate access to the downtown and creative village area without getting on a limited access highway. There are a lot of pluses to the area, and it would be one of the main places I would be looking if I still wanted to try to buy a home in central Florida in the coming years. 

• Like 2