Sign in to follow this  
orlandoguy

College Park

On 11/28/2018 at 10:32 PM, AndyPok1 said:

@dwSouthEola you're a good test case.  What direction do you tend to go for "chains"... Colonialtown or SoDo?

As far as Target goes, South Eola is perfectly situated that E. Colonial and SoDo are both 2.5mi away, it simply depends on which one has what we want in stock.. we go to both equally taking Summerlin down to avoid S. Orange & Robinson to avoid Colonial. The HD are both hit or miss, E. Colonial is closer but Lee Rd sometimes has better stuff.  Somehow Orlando (the land of chain restaurants) has left downtown without an Uno's, TGiF or Friendly Confines.. places we like to visit either out of town or in surrounding areas.

Tbh after moving back to FL/the South Eola neighborhood we didn't even own a car for 6mo bc it's the most walkable neighborhood in Orlando. Love that we only need 7min to walk to Publix,  we have awesome restaurants here, bars, etc.  Who needs a chain ??

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dwSouthEola said:

As far as Target goes, South Eola is perfectly situated that E. Colonial and SoDo are both 2.5mi away, it simply depends on which one has what we want in stock.. we go to both equally taking Summerlin down to avoid S. Orange & Robinson to avoid Colonial. The HD are both hit or miss, E. Colonial is closer but Lee Rd sometimes has better stuff.  Somehow Orlando (the land of chain restaurants) has left downtown without an Uno's, TGiF or Friendly Confines.. places we like to visit either out of town or in surrounding areas.

Tbh after moving back to FL/the South Eola neighborhood we didn't even own a car for 6mo bc it's the most walkable neighborhood in Orlando. Love that we only need 7min to walk to Publix,  we have awesome restaurants here, bars, etc.  Who needs a chain ??

I live in South Eola - and like dw said, it depends on what else I'm doing. I'd typically choose SoDo over Colonial if both sides had the store I need. No idea why - they're equally as close and TBH - the Colonial one's would be easier to get to (just go down Robinson). Orange Ave (South) - especially during the day is a nightmare to drive on. 

I will always choose the SoDo Target due to it being a Super Target. Everything else is fair game. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bqknight said:

Orange Ave (South) - especially during the day is a nightmare to drive on. 

I will always choose the SoDo Target due to it being a Super Target. Everything else is fair game. 

Try Summerlin until it ends (Harding) then Harding to Delaney make a left and then a right on Grant.    

• Like 2

Meh.

Article says they're mostly old palm trees growing along the sidewalk.

Arbor Man doesn't don his cape for tatty old palm trees.

Arbor Man is more of an oak tree guy.

Maybe the occasional elm.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Meh.

Article says they're mostly old palm trees growing along the sidewalk.

Arbor Man doesn't don his cape for tatty old palm trees.

Arbor Man is more of an oak tree guy.

Maybe the occasional elm.

I agree about the palm trees. I guess I just hate they’re giving up on greening it up at all and just paving it over with concrete.

God knows it’s so pleasant to walk down Edgewater Drive when it’s 90 degrees 8 months a year.

Yeah, downtown College Park is quaint and all, but kinda concrete and barren looking.

Don't see why they don't replace those palms with Drake elms like the ones they replaced the old palm trees with on Orange Ave in DTO.

Maybe they feel the sidewalks are too narrow.

Otoh, looking on GSV, I see there are already some small oak type trees interspersed with the old palms, so maybe those will eventually grow into shade providers.

Or maybe they'll widen the sidewalks someday and plant new trees.

Arbor Man is getting a headache. :huh:

• Like 1