Gaslight Village

upnorthnow

3 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Sorry for the double post. But to clarify this is the empty lot by the parking garage.

20181215_112820.jpg

I saw that the other day. I thinks it's parking though. Spectrum has been using the Gaslight ramp for Blodgett while their new ramp is being built. There's a lot of hubbub over this because Spectrum people have been using the lower level and are supposed to use the upper. Lower level retail shop owners are not happy. It's why they're adding pay stations in the ramp. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I saw that the other day. I thinks it's parking though. Spectrum has been using the Gaslight ramp for Blodgett while their new ramp is being built. There's a lot of hubbub over this because Spectrum people have been using the lower level and are supposed to use the upper. Lower level retail shop owners are not happy. It's why they're adding pay stations in the ramp. 

Ah, makes sense. I thought maybe Mobile GR took over EGRs parking contract (the pay stations). But if they are adding parking, that definitely not in their playbook. :) :) 

Joe

“Not going to fight the lights and congestion of accessing Gaslight from the north side of EGR,” XXXXXXXX said. “Ramp made it possible during busy times. Will be easier to shop in Forest Hills.”

Really????????????? $1.25 for the first hour. Skip a Biggby grande lattee and you can park for an hour almost 5  times a week. (My wife and I just bought 2 for 1 on the way home from church lol). Must be there is no traffic, congestion or traffic lights on Cascade Ave,, East Paris, or Forest Hills Ave during busy times:rolleyes:. The business association or better yet the businesses could comp the 2nd 1/2 hour or even a 3rd.  We parked there a couple times to get ice cream this summer and I thought it was unusual to not have to pay in a ramp structure.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've not ever struggled to find parking there and I think it's funny that people are upside that a private party is going to start charging. If this was a city lot, I can get some negative feelings.  But, man, I wouldn't ever want that petty of a comment attributed to me.  The traffic lights are too time consuming. That's comedy.

1 hour ago, jdkacz said:

I've not ever struggled to find parking there and I think it's funny that people are upside that a private party is going to start charging. If this was a city lot, I can get some negative feelings.  But, man, I wouldn't ever want that petty of a comment attributed to me.  The traffic lights are too time consuming. That's comedy.

There are absolutely no lights on the North side of Gaslight Village. In fact, there are traffic lights out at Robinson/Cascade Rd but the entire rest of the way is stop signs. :)

I think news outlets have to be careful pulling "feedback" off of Facebook pages. 

A. What the hell is she talking about? Busy times? It's a rare time when I can't get a street spot in Gaslight Village. If I can't, I park in the strip mall parking lot where parking is plentiful. She is now going to shop in Ada - a totally separate city - because one of the three parking options is no longer free in her own city? She sounds like a real treat/life of the party.

B. I wonder what happened to the idea of tearing that ramp down and extending Gaslight Village into that area? I would think it would be a much better use of space seeing as how the ramp is usually empty and by the sound of it will be even more empty going forward.

The ramp was a big part of building The Derby Development (which I still hope to see some day), so CWD May be playing the long game with the ramp. 

The one thing nobody has mentioned, it does seem odd that (according to Mlive), CWD didn’t talk to the city at all. It’s their property, but definitely seems like there would be some sort of communication about it. 

Speaking of The Derby, does anyone still have renderings of the original project?

Also, whatever happened to the plans on Lakeside Drive to add height to that complex? At first, it seemed like a blocking move to steal the Derby’s views  but then it seemed like a legitimate project.  

Sorry, must be taking a walk down memory lane. Or I’m being visited by the ghosts of developments past? :)

Joe

4 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

The ramp was a big part of building The Derby Development (which I still hope to see some day), so CWD May be playing the long game with the ramp. 

The one thing nobody has mentioned, it does seem odd that (according to Mlive), CWD didn’t talk to the city at all. It’s their property, but definitely seems like there would be some sort of communication about it. 

Speaking of The Derby, does anyone still have renderings of the original project?

Also, whatever happened to the plans on Lakeside Drive to add height to that complex? At first, it seemed like a blocking move to steal the Derby’s views  but then it seemed like a legitimate project.  

Sorry, must be taking a walk down memory lane. Or I’m being visited by the ghosts of developments past? :)

Joe

This is all I could find out there on the interwebs. Not a great view by any means, but it gives a general idea.

9504796-large.jpg

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

A. What the hell is she talking about? Busy times? It's a rare time when I can't get a street spot in Gaslight Village. If I can't, I park in the strip mall parking lot where parking is plentiful. She is now going to shop in Ada - a totally separate city - because one of the three parking options is no longer free in her own city? She sounds like a real treat/life of the party.

B. I wonder what happened to the idea of tearing that ramp down and extending Gaslight Village into that area? I would think it would be a much better use of space seeing as how the ramp is usually empty and by the sound of it will be even more empty going forward.

That ramp is full quite a bit, especially lately. It's being used for Spectrum Blodgett shuttle parking. 

When I googled that development and cwd, a number of lawsuits popped up that I had forgotten about.

On 12/24/2018 at 10:33 AM, GRDadof3 said:

That ramp is full quite a bit, especially lately. It's being used for Spectrum Blodgett shuttle parking. 

When I googled that development and cwd, a number of lawsuits popped up that I had forgotten about.

Is that during the rebuild of the parking ramp at Blodgett or a permanent thing?  If they have some guaranteed income from a deal with Spectrum to use the ramp for shuttle parking, it would be easier to implement a pay structure and not worry about a fall off from some punters now avoiding use of the ramp.

I thought from the city's master planning sessions that the ramp was nearing the end of its useful life and the city did not feel that the amount of parking in the ramp was needed. That the overall parking available within the entire Gaslight Village area was sufficient, but that the master plan wanted to see the area being currently occupied by the ramp redeveloped along with the empty lot next to it and the empty field behind the ramp. 

For all of the economic activity in the GR metro and the amount of single family houses that get bought, demolished and rebuilt, I am continually surprised that there is empty commercial property that has sat relatively empty.

21 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

I thought from the city's master planning sessions that the ramp was nearing the end of its useful life and the city did not feel that the amount of parking in the ramp was needed. That the overall parking available within the entire Gaslight Village area was sufficient, but that the master plan wanted to see the area being currently occupied by the ramp redeveloped along with the empty lot next to it and the empty field behind the ramp. 

For all of the economic activity in the GR metro and the amount of single family houses that get bought, demolished and rebuilt, I am continually surprised that there is empty commercial property that has sat relatively empty.

I'm surprised the Ramona Medical center site next door to the ramp (behind the grocery store) has sat undeveloped. They're tearing down $300,000 homes in EGR to build new MegaMansions and yet that lot sits empty too. 

27 minutes ago, ProtoSapien said:

Is that during the rebuild of the parking ramp at Blodgett or a permanent thing?  If they have some guaranteed income from a deal with Spectrum to use the ramp for shuttle parking, it would be easier to implement a pay structure and not worry about a fall off from some punters now avoiding use of the ramp.

That I don't know. I've only been getting bits and pieces from a business owner who resides in Gaslight Village. 

2 hours ago, jdkacz said:

That was my thought with this whole thing as well. The 2018 master plan calls for an extension of Gaslight Village into that area and back to the empty lot.

Document?documentId=1254Document?documentId=1250

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

That's interesting. I know the vacant building across the street on the corner there of Wealthy is getting an Asian Kitchen.  I always thought there sticky wings were delicious (not nearly as good if they were delivered). Sad to see it go. I am not sure why that's a tough corner (Biggby, Wok & Mortar, etc). Appears to be an excellent location.

2 hours ago, egrguy said:

That's interesting. I know the vacant building across the street on the corner there of Wealthy is getting an Asian Kitchen.  I always thought there sticky wings were delicious (not nearly as good if they were delivered). Sad to see it go. I am not sure why that's a tough corner (Biggby, Wok & Mortar, etc). Appears to be an excellent location.

Wow, and I thought they did a really good job with the renovation too. There are just sooo many other options in Gaslight Village now though. 

In similar news, Little Bangkok in their new location after they had the fire and renovated, is packed every time I go. Near Forest Hills and Cascade. We had to wait for a table today for lunch. 

On 3/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Wow, and I thought they did a really good job with the renovation too. There are just sooo many other options in Gaslight Village now though. 

In similar news, Little Bangkok in their new location after they had the fire and renovated, is packed every time I go. Near Forest Hills and Cascade. We had to wait for a table today for lunch. 

It may just be a case of the owners wanting to pursue other things. It appears they are trying to sell the business to keep it open.

As for Little Bangkok, that place is phenomenal. It is right near my parents house, used to get takeout from there in high school and summers when I’d be back from college. Glad to hear they are still doing well.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, egrguy said:

Didn't grab a photo, but Derby Station closed. Great location for someone to come in an knock it out of the park.

That was an unexpected closing to be sure. Having then been told the reasoning behind it, it became less surprising. I would love to see someone come in and honestly do the same concept but better. I enjoy a good Irish pub if it's done right. I feel like Derby Station had a good concept but went way too basic. Also, I don't think the menu changed in years. It was a half-hearted attempt at a great concept for that location.