Gaslight Village

upnorthnow

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Were Grayson’s Crossing and Derby station still affiliated, or did they have different ownership at the end?

Joe

Graydon's was sold at the end of 2017 to Kevin Farhat (owner of Garage Bar) and Eric Albertson (owner of Speak EZ). They worked together previously before owning their respective establishments. Third Coast bought the building as a part of the deal too.

As for Derby shutting down, I had heard they were struggling. It may have been partly due to Gaslight being such a high rent area, but I don't know for certain. 

I'm going to clear the air on the Derby Station closing since a lot of speculation is going around social media. Larry’s lease was up this month, he had a mutual understanding with the owner that he could operate for two more months on a month to month payment (the staff at Derby was aware of this.) At the last minute the owner of the building backtracked on that and shut him out completely when the lease was up. The doors got locked and the staff can’t even get back in to retrieve personal belongings. I’ve been reading about a lot of people blaming Larry, but it was the owners of the building who made this call. Yes, Larry did sell off Grayson’s to Kevin last year, but Larry still owns Logan’s Alley. I hope this can clear up any confusion about the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

EGR’s Gaslight Village faces turnover, assesses ground-floor use

I found it interesting that the article mentioned the planned and approved condo development that got crushed in the recession. With the economy doing so well, its one development I am surprised to see has not seen any revival. I think regardless of where you live, having a strong central shopping/restaurant district can be a strong selling point for any West Michigan city. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From East GRs e-newsletter, in the Mayors Corner:

We have had very exciting news regarding Gaslight Village. Jade Pig, who redeveloped the old Jacobson's store and reignited the business district a dozen years ago, has announced they are preparing to develop the vacant property behind the parking ramp, and are projecting a $30 million investment. They see Gaslight Village as a huge success they want to build upon. The plans have not yet been brought to the City.”

• Like 4

On 7/29/2019 at 11:05 AM, localtalent said:

Anyone hear rumblings of a reboot of the old Jade Pig condo project?

I've seen recent mentions in private correspondence of a $30 million deal being considered for EGR...

Looks like this is moving ahead. Its pending an official presentation to the city.

1 hour ago, twoshort said:

From East GRs e-newsletter, in the Mayors Corner:

We have had very exciting news regarding Gaslight Village. Jade Pig, who redeveloped the old Jacobson's store and reignited the business district a dozen years ago, has announced they are preparing to develop the vacant property behind the parking ramp, and are projecting a $30 million investment. They see Gaslight Village as a huge success they want to build upon. The plans have not yet been brought to the City.”

It's about time.  Wonder why it took them so long to get this going again.   Look forward to seeing the plans.

On 9/19/2019 at 4:40 PM, mpchicago said:

It's about time.  Wonder why it took them so long to get this going again.   Look forward to seeing the plans.

It will be interesting to see what they do here. Same plan as before?

Also, I can't believe the lot behind D&W has stayed undeveloped for so long. What's the holdout? That area back there has such potential but it's such a cluster now with all of those streets intersecting at different points, vacant lots and crumbled drives. 

Roundabout!

320136982_EGRstreets.thumb.jpg.8d5416438e37ecd0988e6dc55fb6c86f.jpg

My wife and I frequent Gaslight Village, so this is an exciting possibility. The only thing that throws me off is that they're planning on developing the empty lot behind the parking ramp/D&W. If it's mixed-use space, I would think it would not benefit the businesses going into there to be so cut off from the Wealthy Street corridor that makes up Gaslight Village. They would have two barriers in between. Now if it's all residential, it doesn't really matter.

3 hours ago, GRLaker said:

My wife and I frequent Gaslight Village, so this is an exciting possibility. The only thing that throws me off is that they're planning on developing the empty lot behind the parking ramp/D&W. If it's mixed-use space, I would think it would not benefit the businesses going into there to be so cut off from the Wealthy Street corridor that makes up Gaslight Village. They would have two barriers in between. Now if it's all residential, it doesn't really matter.

I don't have any specifics, but if you consider that this new development would be done by the owner(s) of the parking ramp, options may become more clear.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GRLaker said:

It would be nice to know what property they're talking about. I would call the old project site, wedged between the parking ramp and the existing condos, as "behind the parking ramp." But I would also consider the beat up drive off the North side of the parking ramp "behind the parking ramp." I would not call the Ramona lot behind D&W "behind the parking ramp." It all depends on who's defining the "behind." 

On 9/9/2019 at 8:35 AM, egrguy said:

I heard a rumor that the owner Bowdies Chophouse in Saugatuk/Lansing was looking at the Derby Station space. It would be interesting if they keep the high end steakhouse vibe or something different (if true at all).

Looks like you were right!  Expected to open in late fall.

https://www.grbj.com/articles/94343-upscale-steakhouse-moving-into-former-pub

Edited by waygo
Edit
  • Like 2

I'm glad to see a hotel as part of these plans. EGR is an excellent location for especially convention-goers that would like someplace a little more orientated away from the busy city core (though with still easy access to), but not out in the land of strip malls.

Having access to needed conveniences, and EGR's obvious natural assets is going to make it a popular choice.

5 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Good spot for a hotel, hopefully not so cookie cutter village like another 4 story holiday inn or something  (celebration village?) but more like new brand name not a flagship, still on the smaller side but maybe 8-10-12 stories like a 4-points, aloft or cambria

I don't think East would allow a pleb, common-folk hotel like a holiday inn.  It will probably be some type of boutique-y concept, similar to city flats?

2 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I don't think East would allow a pleb, common-folk hotel like a holiday inn.  It will probably be some type of boutique-y concept, similar to city flats?

Something like that or what Orion is doing in Rockford, although I don't think we've seen the "plans" for that yet?