Oh Snap! Aubrey Layne puts the schmack down on City Council and BT's valet cul-de-sac. Ouch. 

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/columnist/kerry-dougherty/not-so-fast-on-atlantic-avenue/article_aa6e84e0-2328-5a20-8d9d-5aced6b8cc8d.html

Honestly, I couldn't say that I disagree with Mr. Layne or blame him for his frustration. There's been quite a bit of incompetence coupled with arrogance and a leadership vacuum on Council with respect to light rail, the $20 million repayment and this latest request for additional state dollars.

Edited by baobabs727

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Apparently, these guys are well on  their way to a sellout.

Here's one of the listings. Note there is no lot to speak of, no privacy and only 1400 ft.².  Oh, and the price for ALL of that ? 

$665,000.00

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/352-Dorsey-Ln-Virginia-Beach-VA-23451/2094055354_zpid/

Want more square footage and not really much extra land? Well, you'll have to come up with almost $2 million for anything even remotely approaching a mini-McMansion.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4113-Fitzgerald-Way-Virginia-Beach-VA-23451/124840090_zpid/

And that's even not the highest priced one. Currently there's one at $1.95M, & there had been one over $2M.

I suppose the old cliché "Location, Location, Location"  is as relevant as ever.

Edited by baobabs727

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, mistermetaj said:

Original was slightly nicer, but this is beautiful and a perfect resort hotel. I wish we had this quality up and down the entire strip. Very impressed.

I drove down Pacific earlier today and thought the same thing. We're seeing it from 31st St on up, and slowly in the teens and 20s. But I'd love to see more hotels like this, the Hilton or the new Hyatt. Hopefully the city opts for the new pier/hotel development.

• Like 1

I’m really liking this:

“It (the Marriott) will be part of The Cavalier campus and they will share amenities, operations, charging privileges. It will be part of the campus,” Thompson said.

The Marriott Oceanfront won’t be a Marriott Autograph Collection hotel like The Cavalier, but it will be full-service and possibly a luxury JW Marriott, Thompson said.

The hotel will have three restaurants, including a beach bar, a sushi bar with an Asian influence, and an “eclectic” rooftop restaurant that will “feel like Grain” (at Hilton Norfolk The Main) and have a panoramic oceanfront dining room, Thompson said.”

If you haven’t been to Grain it’s absolutely fantastic, but crowded. Being the only thing of that caliber in this area the crowds never died down from the initial opening. If anything, it’s even more popular. This area can definitely support another location like that, especially at the oceanfront, which could use a few more classy places. I will be visiting opening day.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty excited for this. I think the architecture is a step above everything at the oceanfront No, two steps above. And the fit, fixtures, finish and amenities will be on par with The Main I'm sure. Another game changer from Bruce Thompson. Why can't we clone him?!  I hope he has a few mentees waiting to continue his legacy....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hotel is opening in April before SITW and will have a Peruvian Sushi rooftop restaurant. Also

https://www.pilotonline.com/food-drink/vp-db-marriott-cavalier-orions-roof-20200224-iijftyc36vhztjjvonqsgjjuiq-story.html

”The hotel and the ground-floor restaurant will need to be open by mid-April, Sass said — unless they want to disappoint Pharrell Williams during the superstar’s music festival. “We’re going to be opening right before Something in the Water," Sass said. “They bought out the whole hotel.””

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • vdogg unpinned this topic

When you go to this part of the beach, it feels like a different city. I can honestly say I am stunned at the level of this hotel. It does not feel like I'm in VA. Beach right now. Unfortunately, Orion's Roof doesn't open until late June though. :(

*That wall is made up of thousands of individual potted plants, each independently watered by an irrigation system.

IMG_20200522_154653_MP.jpg

IMG_20200522_154559_MP.jpg

IMG_20200522_154529_MP.jpg

IMG_20200522_154455_MP.jpg

IMG_20200522_154309_MP.jpg

IMG_20200522_154228_MP.jpg

IMG_20200522_154152_MP.jpg

IMG_20200522_154113_MP.jpg

IMG_20200522_154046_MP.jpg

• Like 2