Twin Cities Breweries

Twin Citian

Being Minneapolis - St. Paul was recently ranked number 6 on the America's Best Beer Cities list, I thought I would start a thread about the area's growing brewery scene.

One of my favorite brewers, Surly Brewing Co., recently announced their plans to build a $20 million "destination brewery" that will be located along the new Central Corridor light rail line (Green Line).  The site is located in Minneapolis, just east of the University of Minnesota and just blocks from St. Paul.  Since Surly announced its plans 3 more brewers have announced their plans to open along or near the Green Line.  Urban Growler Brewing Co. (St. Paul), Bang Brewing Co. (St. Paul), and Burning Brothers Brewing (St. Paul) will be opening opening soon.

Here is a list of Twin Cities brewers:

612 Brew (Minneapolis)

Boom Island Brewing Co. (Minneapolis)

Dangerous Man Brewing Co. (Minneapolis)

Fulton Brewing Co. (Minneapolis)

Harriet Brewing (Minneapolis)

Indeed Brewing Co. (Minneapolis)

Northgate Brewing (Minneapolis)

Bang Brewing Co. (St. Paul)

Blue Diamond Brewing Co. (St. Paul)

Burning Brothers Brewing (St. Paul)

Flat Earth Brewing Co. (St. Paul)

Pig's Eye Brewing Co. (St. Paul)

Summit Brewing Co. (St. Paul)

Urban Growler (St. Paul)

Vine Park Brewing Co. (St. Paul)

Bad Weather Brewing (Minnetonka)

Badger Hill Brewing Co. (Minnetonka)

Big Wood Brewery (White Bear Lake)

Excelsior Brewing Co. (Excelsior)

HammerHeart Brewery (Lino Lakes)

Lift Bridge Brewery (Stillwater)

Lucid Brewing (Minnetonka)

Pour Decisions Brewing Co. (Roseville)

Staples Mill Brewing Co. (Stillwater)

Steel Toe Brewing Co. (St. Louis Park)

* Surly Brewing Co. (Brooklyn Center)

* Surly will be moving its operations from Brooklyn Center to Minneapolis.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I will be researching this myself, but thought I'd ask (for a visit in November) which of these breweries are close-ish to the Hyatt on  Nicollet Mall? Also in general looking for the most eclectic, laid back, cool...non starch shirt neighborhoods to ramble around in.  Sorry for being a tad off topic with a general info request, but any input is appreciated. I hear good things about Minneapolis out here in the east coast and look forward to checking it out. 

• 1 month later...

I will be researching this myself, but thought I'd ask (for a visit in November) which of these breweries are close-ish to the Hyatt on  Nicollet Mall? Also in general looking for the most eclectic, laid back, cool...non starch shirt neighborhoods to ramble around in.  Sorry for being a tad off topic with a general info request, but any input is appreciated. I hear good things about Minneapolis out here in the east coast and look forward to checking it out. 

Hey Jones133.  The closest LOCAL brewery to Nicollet is Fulton, which is located about 2.5 blocks west of Target Field in downtown.  You can take the light rail and get off at the Target Field station.  Unfortunately, the majority of breweries are located in neighborhoods throughout MPLS and STPL.  You should consider, however, taking a short cab ride over to NE Minneapolis and check out Indeed, 612 Brew, and Dangerous Man; all three are decent breweries.

As far as neighborhoods, if you are already going to be in NE Minneapolis, check out the some of the following bars - * 331 Club, Grumpy's, Mayslacks, Shaws, Knight Cap, Gasthof Zur / Marios Keller Bar, * Psycho Suzi's, * Nye's, Donny Dirk's,  

The Cedar - Riverside - West Bank neighborhood also offers up some diverse options.  The Triple Rock, Palmer's Bar, Nomad, Acadia Cafe, Town Hall Brewery, and the Republic are all worth checking out.  These bars are all within walking distance.

* Recommend

Update on the local brewers list:

Bard's (Minneapolis)

Herkimer (Minneapolis)

Lake Monster (Minneapolis)

Northbound (Minneapolis)

Sociable Cider Werks (Minneapolis)

St. Croix Brewing (St. Paul)

Theodore Fyten (St. Paul)

Bent (Roseville)

Founding Fathers (Orono)

Archived