Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

Can you have them come to our rentals on Coit and Clancy? ...a blank check? Yeah, send 'em. =)

The real question is: do we (as a community) want to have new developments offered up by one of the worst slumlords in the market? On my street they own two houses, and do virtually no screening on their new tenants. (Why does the one house have so many visitors who drive up, stop, interact with the residents, then drive away?) Given the company's track record of minimal repairs and zero customer service...

Perhaps they are just adding to their "motels on Boardwalk" and will unload my friend's house to the next opportunist. If that's the case, they'll bring the 'hood back down with their bad tenants and maintenance. (I guess that will make it look like a redevelopment would bring improvements.)

I see by their HQ signage that they now offer insurance. Yeah, right.

• 2 years later...

Nice looking brownstones being pitched for Belknap Lookout area:

http://www.mlive.com...t_river_default

Joe

They are okay. They look exactly like the row houses that are being built on tear-down lots all over the north and northwest side of Chicago right now (probably even the same architect).

I mean seeing these built, the quality will be nice, I'm just tired of seeing those particular designs because there are literally 100s of them in Chicago.

• 9 months later...

I couldn't find anything on this topic in the past but I remember reading about it. The article says it will be called "Clancy St Apartments" although its actually on Clancy Ave. I think this will be a good addition to that neighborhood but could use a little more like underground parking and balconies or a rooftop patio. There is a lot of potential there and values are surely going up which should drive density. I see it as being a Chicago-style neighborhood someday and always envisioned a much more attractive, and larger housing unit at that lookout point on Fairview st at Hastings as well as higher density row houses along Hastings and 196. This should be a good start. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/06/get_first_glimpse_of_belknap_l.html#incart_river_default

http://goo.gl/maps/2dm39 

Edited by GRDadof3

does look boring but I think it would be a good start for that neighborhood, this looks like an interesting development in that neighborhood off newberry, theres even a unit with solar panels! I  wonder if there is any kind of good use they can do with the old reservoir behind it such as a solar farm or even a wind turbine?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Grand+Rapids,+MI&hl=en&ll=42.97714,-85.665455&spn=0.001206,0.002064&sll=38.997934,-105.550567&sspn=7.382922,16.907959&oq=gra&t=h&hnear=Grand+Rapids,+Kent,+Michigan&z=20

When I read statements like -

“It’s not that we don’t want development. Just tone it down. It could be more friendly-looking, like a home instead of looking like a college student dorm.”

- Or - 

“This could set a precedent,” Commissioner Mary Angelo said. “I don’t want to turn this down, but I sure don’t want to approve it as it is.”

- My impression is that the neighbors: (a) have no concept of what an amenable proposal would look like, (b) don't want to encourage any more efforts to build apartments, and [c] just don't want denser housing in the neighborhood, period...  Regardless of the area-specific plan.

Edited by RegalTDP

Looks terrible. There is no street frontage, and also it's way too far back from the sidewalk

But I also feel bad for the developers that they have to make magic happen with dingbat NIMBYs carping at your rear.

"It could be more friendly-looking, like a home..."

It could be a house, but it's not. It's an APARTMENT. They are trying to go for density not replicate some Sears catalog house from 1906. Heck they should actually try to make it look like it was built in 2013 for once.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

Looks terrible. There is no street frontage, and also it's way too far back from the sidewalk

But I also feel bad for the developers that they have to make magic happen with dingbat NIMBYs carping at your rear.

It could be a house, but it's not. It's an APARTMENT. They are trying to go for density not replicate some Sears catalog house from 1906. Heck they should actually try to make it look like it was built in 2013 for once.

I just think they don't want it to look like all the dumbass looking apartment complexes around town, like the two at College and I-196, the one overlooking downtown next to I-196 (also in Belknap Lookout) or the ones scattered around Heritage Hill like on Lafayette.

I've stopped following all these proposals for Belknap. None of them have happened. I think there have been at least 8 or 9.

• 7 months later...

I was just thinking about this project the other day...glad to see it's finally moving forward. There's a lot of homes like these tucked around my neighborhood in Chicago. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/01/artesian_group_finally_sets_th.html#incart_river_default

June completion? That sounds like an aggressive timeframe..I like it! If someone could keep us updated on what time the wrecking ball is supposed to start swinging, that would be great.

June completion? That sounds like an aggressive timeframe..I like it! If someone could keep us updated on what time the wrecking ball is supposed to start swinging, that would be great.

Yeah, I don't see how they'll make the Spring parade of homes. You pretty much have to be framing right now to hit Memorial Day completion when the parade takes place, and they appear to still be demolishing the existing houses.

• 2 weeks later...