Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

It looks like they are enlarging/extending a portion of the retaining wall that runs along Hastings and 196. Did I miss this somewhere in the thread? Are they planning on extending this all the way to the mural or just the short section they are build now?

Joe

I'm pretty sure that is going to be the path that runs down around the hill to the stairs on Division.

I took a picture of it a week or so back.

2 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

I'm pretty sure that is going to be the path that runs down around the hill to the stairs on Division.

I took a picture of it a week or so back.

sorry @mielsonwheels, I see it now. I was so busy looking at the building photos, I didn't notice. I didn't realize they were building a path all the way to Monroe. Very cool. That will have a great view of the city!

Joe

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

sorry @mielsonwheels, I see it now. I was so busy looking at the building photos, I didn't notice. I didn't realize they were building a path all the way to Monroe. Very cool. That will have a great view of the city!

Joe

I didn't realize that's what that was either. That's cool. 

IMG_1491.thumb.JPG.f457ced877c98fd645472

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Groundbreaking:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/11/gvsu_breaks_ground_on_new_heal.html

Question: Who is Raleigh Finklestein? That's a name I'm not familiar with. I always like seeing new major donors get into the mix. 

He was one of the three or four brothers that owned MC Sporting Goods.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2016 at 11:18 AM, GRDadof3 said:

It will be really dramatic when the Coit Square project is added and GVSU starts construction on its first phase. Although West Side or Belknap? I think they're both going through dramatic changes. 

Some more media.

The ones fronting Coit will be larger triplexes and duplexes, with smaller cottage sized units in the back off of a courtyard that runs the length of the project. 

26282281711_9d3556a62c_b.jpg

26282281951_1efb1a0a43_b.jpg

Looks like the Coit Square project has gotten quite a dramatic revamp per the new renderings posted by the Artesian Group on their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/Artesian-Group-241557175965627/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There will be another GVSU/Belknap update meeting March 13th at the Coit School.

Website for anybody interested: http://gvsunoblplanning.org/

Presentation from last update meeting: http://gvsunoblplanning.org/sites/gvsunoblplanning.org/files/document/pdf/GVSU Belknap 2016-12-21_Community Meeting_FINAL UPDATES.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet as there are about four threads discussing Grand Valley, but GVSU is looking to build a very large 600+ parking ramp on one of their parcels.  Sounds like the neighbours are not pleased

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 9:39 AM, GRDadof3 said:

"Belknap Bluffs" seems to have grown in size. 

Belknap Bluffs.JPG

Well I'll be... Wish I was at the neighborhood meeting when this was announced. 

I was wondering if those properties were ever gonna sell. 621, 629, 631, and 637 Fairview were listed together for something like a million bucks. I think this sort of stuff is going to be great for the neighborhood, although quite a few that live there wouldn't agree. If all the river developments happen and Monroe North continues to gent... err... get fixed up, there might not be a place with a better view than what these will offer.

If only somebody with some foresight and financial fortitude would start buying up the abandoned buildings along Lafayette north and south of Bradford, they could turn it into a decent retail section.  Maybe do a mixed use building like the Diamond Place is going to be on Michigan, between GVSU students and people working at the hospitals, I don't think any apartment would ever see more than a day of vacancy.

Lafayette and Bradford

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

If all the river developments happen and Monroe North continues to gent... err... get fixed up,

Splitting hairs here, but can you really use the term "gentrification" for Monroe North? For as long as I've been around, it's never had residents displaced (as there weren't any). And most of the work in the area has been fixing up vacant properties or changing the use of buildings that were onsolete for their current use. Just an observation. Continue. 

Joe

• Like 2