Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

Wow, legos version of Grand Rapids, I'm so proud of GVSU. Their "MAKING". Thats what I'm getting at. Pardon the gun printing stuff. I just wanted that ~15 second quote where I linked to. GVSU doesn't impress me. I was at KCTC 10 years ago when they had their first 3d printer. It was in the room I studied in. It's usefulness hasn't evolved much sense then with people building things like legos. 

I had to edit the link to to part where I wanted you to hear the proper quote. The guy's a little weird, I know. Watch from 18:26.

Edited by crinzema

18 hours ago, crinzema said:

Wow, legos version of Grand Rapids, I'm so proud of GVSU. Their "MAKING". Thats what I'm getting at. Pardon the gun printing stuff. I just wanted that ~15 second quote where I linked to. GVSU doesn't impress me. I was at KCTC 10 years ago when they had their first 3d printer. It was in the room I studied in. It's usefulness hasn't evolved much sense then with people building things like legos. 

I had to edit the link to to part where I wanted you to hear the proper quote. The guy's a little weird, I know. Watch from 18:26.

Who is that guy? 

19 hours ago, crinzema said:

It does seem a bit over the top on GVSU's part to take the hours it does to print that stuff out, just to do this little photo shoot. They could have easily did the same with Maya or 3D Studio Max. And holy crap those models are tiny!

I'm looking for a 3D printer myself, but this tech has a looooong way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Some big changes are coming to Belknap, and I'm guessing it's only the tip of the iceberg. I was really surprised to see that they already cleared the land for the project on Fairview.  

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/03/new_apartments_are_beginning_t.html#incart_gallery

And just saw this about the GVSU campus, I sure will miss sitting in on these neighborhood meetings:

https://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/24616-gvsu-meets-continued-resistance-to-belknap-campus-plan

Edited by mielsonwheels

17 hours ago, Aiga said:

Meritage getting cold feet .  Concerned with parking or the lack of sufficient on street parking .  :tw_anguished:   Although they did sign a five year lease. 

-a0e267273699c9a5.JPG

This picture from the MLive article (note the properly cited source) shows the on-site parking available for customers of the commercial tenets.  They had to provide off street parking due to the permit parking requirements in this part of Belknap. According to the guys at Orion, parking will be validated to make sure neighborhood residents don't take over what's intended for the commercial customers.

Also, at the top left of the parking deck you can see the ramp that leads down to the apartment residents covered parking area, an area that includes the exposed parking deck as well as underneath the entire apartment complex itself.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mielsonwheels said:

-a0e267273699c9a5.JPG

This picture from the MLive article (note the properly cited source) shows the on-site parking available for customers of the commercial tenets.  They had to provide off street parking due to the permit parking requirements in this part of Belknap. According to the guys at Orion, parking will be validated to make sure neighborhood residents don't take over what's intended for the commercial customers.

Also, at the top left of the parking deck you can see the ramp that leads down to the apartment residents covered parking area, an area that includes the exposed parking deck as well as underneath the entire apartment complex itself.

That's pretty nice, and well hidden. Not a great view for those residents but those apartments are probably a bit cheaper than a view of Medical Mile.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

The roof is going up on GVSU. I think this has to be one of the fastest developments I've seen. Are they hoping to be open for the start of this school year?! Haha. 

Joe

I have a picture for that! (I took a bunch the other day)

35476416095_875054e571_b.jpg

2 actually...

35089860160_d289cfac38_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sign for the new Meritage restaurant coming 2018.20171116_102933.thumb.jpg.8cb1466fe838ca936f90fa21a8231772.jpg

I’m surprised Meritage hasn’t expanded Twisted Rooster locations. Food is decent, beer is good, place is always packed. I’ve gone to both Wheelhouse and Crooked Goose and it wasn’t bad, but forgettable. 

Either way, glad to see some of these street level locations filling up!

joe

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I’m surprised Meritage hasn’t expanded Twisted Rooster locations. Food is decent, beer is good, place is always packed. I’ve gone to both Wheelhouse and Crooked Goose and it wasn’t bad, but forgettable. 

joe

Twisted Rooster has two additional locations in metro Detroit. But I agree it's surprising that they haven't expanded further, especially here where Meritage is based. There was a Holland location planned a few years ago that never materialized.

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

joe

Agreed, I've not heard fabulous things about Crooked Goose, and Wheelhouse's atmosphere is awesome, especially around the holidays, but the food was good but not great.  Twisted Rooster does pretty well in a very crowded field (40+ restaurants on the E Beltline). 

• Like 1

Rowster Coffee moving into the space on the corner of Clancy and Hastings.  Meritage was concerned with parking,  going to be a smaller space now. I dont think they are still sure what kind of setting they will have.. Breakfast option would be great.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AG3 said:

Rowster Coffee moving into the space on the corner of Clancy and Hastings.  Meritage was concerned with parking,  going to be a smaller space now. I dont think they are still sure what kind of setting they will have.. Breakfast option would be great.. 

Excited for Rowster. They must be doing well with how fast they are expanding.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Excited for Rowster. They must be doing well with how fast they are expanding.

I agree. I don't know the owners personally, but I am happy for them.. I know they have worked butts off and have a deep passions for coffee.  Not just about the dollar.

• 2 months later...