Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

8 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Wood is reporting that the building, and the one across the street, have "unfit for habitation" (buildings condemned?) notices from the city on them, and that the fate of either should be known in the next day.

I'm still thinking the big one comes down. A week is a bit does seem like a long time for not even bringing in some tarps if they really are looking to protect what is left. However, the report also showed that the lower floors mostly got by intact, and people were able to move their belongings, so who knows.

If the top floors are in need of complete and total rebuilding (which I suspect would be the case from water damage in that storm and the rains the next day), and all floors below are fully protected already due to concrete floors, I'm not sure tarps would really be all that necessary? The only thing the tarps would be protecting is that which is already damaged.

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I’m rooting for it to come down, honestly. That’s prime real estate for something pretty amazing. 

Not that I like demolition via tornado, but it’s a great spot. Please no Grandville Castle  Part Deux. :)

Joe 

I hope it stays. GR only has a track record of about 1/4 of the residential projects that have gone up lately to have a "pretty amazing" look to them. I see a hokey boxy semi-modern quasi shipping container development going up in its place, especially with Land & Co owning it. Sorry to be a debbie downer but seriously, no hope.  It will be worse than the castle, way worse and much more high profile. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

So here you guys were saying this was owned by Terri Lynn Lands company.  The article states that is family owned by Minciotti family.   (Tax records also state owned by "Minciotti Albert A Trust")

Is there a connection between the two or does this have nothing to with Terri Lynn Lands company?

Edited by JoeSchmo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmo said:

So here you guys were saying this was owned by Terri Lynn Lands company.  The article states that is family owned by Minciotti family.   (Tax records also state owned by "Minciotti Albert A Trust")

Is there a connection between the two or does this have nothing to with Terri Lynn Lands company?

I saw that too.  I don’t remember which poster said it was part of land and co’s portfolio but I didn’t remember that being the case.  

15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I hope it stays. GR only has a track record of about 1/4 of the residential projects that have gone up lately to have a "pretty amazing" look to them. I see a hokey boxy semi-modern quasi shipping container development going up in its place, especially with Land & Co owning it. Sorry to be a debbie downer but seriously, no hope.  It will be worse than the castle, way worse and much more high profile. 

I disagree. I think it's been an eyesore from the get go (I always thought that building was a wasted opportunity, but that was back in the early 90's and Grand Rapids and Belknap had bigger problems than an ugly apartment building) and the potential is great (no matter who owns it) to add units (more stories). With all of the other activity in the area, it could fetch a good rent with amazing views. 

Joe

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 1:47 PM, GRLaker said:

Third Coast is building low income (70%) and market rate (30%) housing behind GVSU's new health building in Belknap.

1000%5B1531495268%5D.jpg1000%5B1531495321%5D.jpg1000%5B1531495361%5D.jpg1000%5B1531495446%5D.jpg

https://www.gvsu.edu/gvnow/article-index.htm?articleId=CA2CBD7B-AD3E-EA87-D2702660AEA69126

Could be expecting to see some movement here soonish. As a refresher, project location is north of the FinkelEinhorn Hall:

image.png.39c47c8af9aa4a4f662f15fd1c57aba8.png

Don't have any new renderings to pass along unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, grandrollerz said:

The new roof is on the apartment building, appliances are being swapped out.  

Finally the house across the street is getting demo'd starting today.

14+ months later and they are still not done with the apartments.  They are finally putting the facing on the front so maybe they are getting close.  I would love to see whats in store for these units.  The valley facing side is all windows now, which looks great.

Also, that house across the street never did get demolished. It was completely gutted to the studs and then built back up.  The build looks OK, but a little odd. I'll get pic laters.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:18 PM, joeDowntown said:

Bazzani building is fully enclosed:

E1E7F365-7A82-4F22-8D3A-52455BDE48C4.thumb.JPG.4b2dacb788754db3406a96b68a7f5aac.JPG

Now leasing and looking good.  There is a ground floor retail there in the front, will be interesting to see what comes in there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ModSquad said:

:tw_open_mouth: Seriously?  We are looking to put a 1,400 sf home in that neighborhood and are wondering what the market is bringing for new construction.  Granted our home will be further in the neighborhood but holy crap!

I'm just kidding but it wouldn't surprise me. Unless they're split up into multiple units and just look like SF homes. 

Actually, looking closer at those renderings and I think they are multiple units (up and down). 

image.thumb.png.7a326957860bab9c963ba21310cd9ad5.png

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm just kidding but it wouldn't surprise me. Unless they're split up into multiple units and just look like SF homes. 

Actually, looking closer at those renderings and I think they are multiple units (up and down). 

image.thumb.png.7a326957860bab9c963ba21310cd9ad5.png

Middle house looks out of place and more suburban than the others 

30 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Really? I think it looks like a lot of the homes on Fairview. 

https://goo.gl/maps/tw6RhnNcaA9JbZP58

I agree. Historically speaking, the house in the middle fits in with the single family homes in Belknap. The row houses are out of place (based on what the neighborhood used to look like). I like the mixture.

Joe

• Like 1