Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, grandrollerz said:

...oh, and HealthBar took this old printing building on Coldbrook....and made it yellow?!? :sick:

Little more info on the two tennants https://grbj.com/news/real-estate/healthbar-deksia-open-joint-headquarters/

i hadn't heard the term "biophillic" before so had to google it: https://www.ambius.com/blog/biophilic-design-trends-guide-2020/  -- i think it means they have a lot of plants inside the building??

On 3/16/2021 at 4:42 PM, grandrollerz said:

Also, I believe this project was recently approved in Dec 2020.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/01/grand-rapids-condo-project-grows-in-size-units-drop-in-price.html

The whole block basically, 50 units.

Looks like the houses along Coit for this project are finally coming down!!

IMG_1001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting. There's a proposal before the planning commission to turn the ground floor retail space at Belknap Gateway into residential units. I don't think that corner retail space has ever been leased.

Who the heck would want those interior studios with no windows? 

576061972_Belknapgateway.thumb.jpg.1e88c7a0fa6d2eb02afa269b7d76d110.jpg

21 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Interesting. There's a proposal before the planning commission to turn the ground floor retail space at Belknap Gateway into residential units. I don't think that corner retail space has ever been leased.

Who the heck would want those interior studios with no windows? 

576061972_Belknapgateway.thumb.jpg.1e88c7a0fa6d2eb02afa269b7d76d110.jpg

Yeah, seems like studio B and Studio H should just be a gym or laundry area. That would be crazy to have no windows (or way out in case of a fire). Weird!

Joe

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Allison Slater said:

Want? Nobody. Will take what they can get? Students, and anybody desperate for (assuming) more affordable housing. Which in this economy of rapidly rising rents, is going to be a lot.

I agree that they’d get rented quickly. I don’t think the city should start a precedent of allowing apartments that are completely inside a building with no external walls/windows. 

Joe

On 9/9/2022 at 1:38 PM, Khorasaurus1 said:

I'm pretty sure dwelling units without windows are illegal under the building code...

Not my(our) project, but perspective as an Architect...

A building like that is reviewed under the Michigan Building (Commercial) Code - not the Michigan Residential Code - where there is an exception that allows for windowless spaces provided adequate artificial lighting is provided (MBC Section 1205.1/1205.3). There is a maximum "common path of travel" distance allowed within the unit to a point in the corridor where you have the ability to get to two exits, and they appear to have that covered. The City of GR Ordinance is silent on the interior environment of multi-family residential units. So, its not illegal.

There have been some stories in the news media in the last year about proposed university dormitories that included those types of units for density purposes. Lots of critical backlash. Developers must believe there is a market for them.

I'm all for good urban density, but I can't ever imagine living in an environment like that and wouldn't be opposed to local or national code amendments that would prohibit residential units without access to natural light.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

1792477520_ScreenShot2023-02-07at4_39_03PM.thumb.png.58acb3ef49cb89a4626195efb19c9c34.pngYe

Yet another project in Belknap.  52 apartments with parking underneath.  This is on Coit, directly north of the current project being developed.

I wonder how much longer it will be until this whole area is all higher density.  It would be great if they could increase the height limits for this neighborhood.  I could really see this picking up on the westside near downtown with similar housing stock.

More info in the latest PC agenda packet

Edited by Jonesey
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonesey said:

1792477520_ScreenShot2023-02-07at4_39_03PM.thumb.png.58acb3ef49cb89a4626195efb19c9c34.pngYe

Yet another project in Belknap.  52 apartments with parking underneath.  This is on Coit, directly north of the current project being developed.

I wonder how much longer it will be until this whole area is all higher density.  It would be great if they could increase the height limits for this neighborhood.  I could really see this picking up on the westside near downtown with similar housing stock.

More info in the latest PC agenda packet

The building right on top of the hill that got crushed in that storm a few summers ago, I was a little surprised they didn't demo that completely and add something with height. That view would command top dollar.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 7:42 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

The building right on top of the hill that got crushed in that storm a few summers ago, I was a little surprised they didn't demo that completely and add something with height. That view would command top dollar.

That frigging thing is still not occupied. I have no idea wtf is going on there. They were installing flooring a few weeks back. Seems to go in spurts. So bizarre. 

16 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

That frigging thing is still not occupied. I have no idea wtf is going on there. They were installing flooring a few weeks back. Seems to go in spurts. So bizarre. 

Seriously? It's been two and a half years, or more, right?

Seriously, demo that obsolete building, add a 12 story condo, and watch the money pour in.