Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I drove through and took a look at the projects in this neighborhood a few days ago.  I didn't realize the scope of everything going on in this neighborhood.  Right now once all of these projects get completed I think it's going to look awkward with brand new strips of more urban buildings (on each north/south street) mixed in with the slightly neglected housing stock.  If more development is attracted to the area it has the potential to be an urban node on the other side of the highway.  Belknap really has the potential to be the most transformed neighborhood in the city.

1 hour ago, MJLO said:

I drove through and took a look at the projects in this neighborhood a few days ago.  I didn't realize the scope of everything going on in this neighborhood.  Right now once all of these projects get completed I think it's going to look awkward with brand new strips of more urban buildings (on each north/south street) mixed in with the slightly neglected housing stock.  If more development is attracted to the area it has the potential to be an urban node on the other side of the highway.  Belknap really has the potential to be the most transformed neighborhood in the city.

It will be really dramatic when the Coit Square project is added and GVSU starts construction on its first phase. Although West Side or Belknap? I think they're both going through dramatic changes. 

Some more media.

The ones fronting Coit will be larger triplexes and duplexes, with smaller cottage sized units in the back off of a courtyard that runs the length of the project. 

26075639780_d8a6c985c3_b.jpg

26282280651_c835e5c7c9_b.jpg

26075641090_3ab00ff72e_b.jpg

26282281711_9d3556a62c_b.jpg

26282281951_1efb1a0a43_b.jpg

It's my understanding that the massing of the building was more imposing, but was scaled down to try to have more of a neighborhood feel.  Additionally, it will apparently include retail/cafe space along Lafayette.  The site will also include housing in the future, to be built by a private developer. 

4 hours ago, mpchicago said:

It's my understanding that the massing of the building was more imposing, but was scaled down to try to have more of a neighborhood feel.  Additionally, it will apparently include retail/cafe space along Lafayette.  The site will also include housing in the future, to be built by a private developer. 

That's great. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

It's been awhile so I thought I'd get some update shots.

First up is Clancy Lofts:

3ed6fcfb1bc42437758510c9c65ce1f4.jpg

28b7c5e5f07b508f3bcad6bf940edcb0.jpg

And the Gateway:

cd327cea5118e4637b57903c12643402.jpg

1a2183741f87aa6afa1dc1dfb340fcba.jpg

And in a fun development, the block around the first GVSU building has had a chain link fence installed, looks like some more houses are about to come down:

eea3f970f687d9c930e2e6b55a79f3f5.jpg

469961d0dcbed7b17b6240fb46806c3d.jpg

Would have been nice to see some cornice work on the brick on the Gateway (corners, around the windows, etc) but I guess it's brick so I shouldn't complain too much. The patios are cool. 

So GVSU is happening!

12 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I'm confused about what's going on with GVSU,  are they also moving forward with something next to Cook-Devos as well?  I'm pretty sure we saw that.

I think so. This one in Belknap is further along. 

Yes, in their capital outlay request for the proposed building next Cook Devos, they show April 2017 as an estimated start date:

https://www.gvsu.edu/cms4/asset/83D77566-0FCE-1482-0E85CB93ACE30B91/capital_outlay_request_2017_priority_1_final.pdf