Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

Agreed.  I don't think there are even renderings yet.  I was just told it's going to be taller.  If you look at the PDF it says the programs grown from 138 students to 2,011 since the completion of Cook-Devos.  Hopefully it's huge, not sure if anyone knows the SF on the lot and could do an estimate of height.  I think for now GVSU is focusing on the other project, once that gets started we'll probably see more info on this.

59 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

Agreed.  I don't think there are even renderings yet.  I was just told it's going to be taller.  If you look at the PDF it says the programs grown from 138 students to 2,011 since the completion of Cook-Devos.  Hopefully it's huge, not sure if anyone knows the SF on the lot and could do an estimate of height.  I think for now GVSU is focusing on the other project, once that gets started we'll probably see more info on this.

The property they own is nearly 60,000 sf, so I think it's almost bigger than the Cook Devos footprint. But that's not to say that they aren't building on only a portion of it. I just hope the design compliments the other, although Design+ did Cook Devos and they've scattered to the winds. 

As mielsonwheels mentioned earlier, this whole area along Lafayette where the new health sciences building (North of the highway) is fenced off now. Houses all have no trespassing signs on them and look like they're ready to come down. 

GVSU Fence.jpg

As a reminder, that would be to make way for this building:

IMG_0964.JPG

32 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I thought GVSU had an agreement to not knock down any houses until construction was imminent. Does that mean they are ready to get started?

Joe

Yes, per the meetings GVSU had with the neighborhood over the last year or so, their projected start date for this building was summer 2016, so it seems like they are right on track.  I'm curious if they figured out the portion on the north side of the block GRDadof3 highlighted, which is supposed to be mixed use retail/housing done by a private developer.  I really hope they are planning on doing everything at the same time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 9:03 AM, arcturus said:

For some reason I get an uneasy vibe from this area when cycling.  Maybe it's just me.  Hopefully this project will change the neighborhood for the better.

Well if you believe so, then you're in luck. There are a bunch of projects like this, including the new GVSU facility, on deck for Belknap.

On 9/13/2016 at 10:17 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Speaking of Belknap developments, there's another one before the planning commission at 611 Fairview for a 3 building/11 unit project. It appears to be this collection of homes on the hill side of Fairview. CopperRock Construction. 

611 Fairview.JPG

I was wondering if this was going to make a comeback from the last neighborhood meeting I went to, the people along Trowbridge were pretty adamant that they did not want this in their backyard. 

They have some renderings on the listing on Zillow:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/23805153_zpid/0-300000_price/0-1053_mp/featured_sort/42.979825,-85.658609,42.966025,-85.681676_rect/15_zm/

1 hour ago, mielsonwheels said:

I was wondering if this was going to make a comeback from the last neighborhood meeting I went to, the people along Trowbridge were pretty adamant that they did not want this in their backyard. 

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/23805153_zpid/0-300000_price/0-1053_mp/featured_sort/42.979825,-85.658609,42.966025,-85.681676_rect/15_zm/

Ahh, interesting. 

3 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

What was their criticism?

I really hate to break it to Belknap hill, but this is the future.

That area is the most desirable residential development zone outside of Uptown. And with available land almost nonexistent on the other side of the highway, and with their unique location, that is an equation you cant really defeat.

I would recommend that they work to ensure that these developments adhere to some good urban and aesthetic values instead of blowing all of there energy trying to stop development from happening, because they will quickly become exhausted and demoralized.

This development, while a bit meh looking, especially that garage setup, is on a dead-end street, and really isnt going to be visible from Fairview. But who knows?

They kind of remind me of the homes in Grand Haven that overlook the lake.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I really hate to break it to Belknap hill, but this is the future.

That area is the most desirable residential development zone outside of Uptown. And with available land almost nonexistent on the other side of the highway, and with their unique location, that is an equation you cant really defeat.

I would recommend that they work to ensure that these developments adhere to some good urban and aesthetic values instead of blowing all of there energy trying to stop development from happening, because they will quickly become exhausted and demoralized.

This development, while a bit meh looking, especially that garage setup, is on a dead-end street, and really isnt going to be visible from Fairview. But who knows?

They kind of remind me of the homes in Grand Haven that overlook the lake.

They did actually go through an exhaustive area-specific plan maybe 5 or 6 years ago, because they knew growth would be coming their way.

I have to agree with the neighbors though. These buildings are kinda fugly. I wouldn't want to see them out my back window. But I guess there's always Rockford if you want to look at woods out your back window. 

That yellow house looks like the one that's currently sitting on Fairview, just renovated.

613 Fairview.JPG

Fairview.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2016 at 2:16 PM, GRDadof3 said:

As mielsonwheels mentioned earlier, this whole area along Lafayette where the new health sciences building (North of the highway) is fenced off now. Houses all have no trespassing signs on them and look like they're ready to come down. 

GVSU Fence.jpg

As a reminder, that would be to make way for this building:

IMG_0964.JPG

Fence is up, decorated. 

GVSU Fence 1.jpg

• Like 2

Over 300 trees were planted today as part of the GreenUpGr program to add to the city's tree canopy, many of them in Belknap and along I-196. 

I also saw that major street upgrades are coming to Belknap:

http://grcity.us/engineering-department/Construction-Updates/Documents for Revamped Site/Hastings, Trowbridge, Prospect/Mailer - Trowbridge and Prospect Construction Prep.pdf

And don't forget that I-196 Westbound over the Grand River will be completely closed down in 2018. Plan ahead!

Well it's been awhile since I did some update shots, so here goes nutting:

First up Clancy Lofts:
IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

And the Gateway:
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG

And the GVSU site (sorry it's so dark):
IMG_1481.JPG

And finally, they have started the path that goes from the Hastings/Coit overpass down to Monroe:

IMG_1491.JPG

I noticed the parking behind Clancy Lofts was built under the alleyway, it was too dark to snap a pic but I'll get one in the next day or two, I thought it was pretty interesting the way they handled the parking for that project.

Edited by mielsonwheels
  • Like 1