• Savannah
    • Brunswick
    • Dalton
    • Valdosta
    • Other...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savannah is a great city, but I recently spent some time in Athens, and I must say I was quite impressed. It has a fairly good sized core area with lots of restaurants and lofts. Good pedestrian activity, and a fair amount of construction. The UGA presence was obvious, but it helps the city out tremendously.

I still voted for Savannah, for obvious reasons, but Athens ran a close second. :)

Athens all the way.

My second vote would be Valdosta. It's a great city with a college that is gaining more and more respect (Val State). The downtown area is really nice also. I grew up in North/Central FL, so I have visited Valdosta frequently. It seems Valdosta rarely gets the respect it deserves from mid/upper GA residents. Keep it up and Valdosta might just get annexed into Florida - hehe. We'll take it and be proud of it.

Savannah, well, it's gorgeous, but........ it's kinda like calling Orlando your favorite FL city. Savannah is a great vacation destination, but not a place I could ever see myself living. Besides, it's historic district, then slums on every side (man, that's not very PC is it?).

Since we are not including Atlanta, I would go with Columbus because of its strong corporate base. Savannah is probably my favorite other than Columbus because it has so much history. Savannah is a beautiful city.

• 1 year later...

Athens - have been to Savannah, which is great, but did AthFest a few years in a row, and was an instant Athens convert - like Chapel Hill, but not so retentive. The kinda town where if you go to a club to see a band, people actually clap and respond, instead of standing around trying to look cool. :shok:

Archived