First Freedom Center (under construction)

wrldcoupe4

Ground has finally been broken on the First Freedom Center project in Shockoe Slip at 14th and Cary streets and will include:

- 75 room Residence Inn

- 135 room Courtyard by Marriott

- exhibit and office space for the First Freedom Center

- $30 million investment by Apple REIT

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/05/13/after-long-slog-hotel-finds-the-starting-line/

http://www.nbc12.com/story/22259711/construction-begins-on-marriott-hotel-and-first-freedom-center

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Too close to the street to be an elevator shaft?  I'm at a loss, but good to see the work is progressing!

Based on the rendering I believe it is either an elevator shaft or a stairwell as that would line up with the windowless edge before the curvature at the corner.

If compared to construction of other hotels, this would be a stairwell.  From experience, elevators would be centrally located while the stairwells flank each end of the structure. 

Maybe this one could be different?

If compared construction of other hotels, this would be a stair well.  From experience, elevators would be centrally located whie the stairwells flank each end of the structure. 

Maybe this one could be different?

It looks like there could be an exit door on the ground level so I would bet on stairwell.  I am curious as to if there will be one central lobby in the center of the "U" or if there may be a lobby on each end.

Archived