Discovery Park, a project far from Nashville

volsfanwill

Just wanted to give some updates on Discovery Park of America opening this fall in Union City.  

I know it is far off the radar for Nashville, but it has been mentioned a few times on here.  Since I live here (for now) I will add more info when there is some.

First, one of the exhibits arrived last week.

http://www.nwtntoday.com/news.php?viewStory=85059

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
some pictures of Discovery Park nearing completion

9174494757_0906ef0d84.jpg
IMG_1361 by willfry, on Flickr

9176714500_a7d27c9460.jpg
IMG_1359 by willfry, on Flickr

9176715726_5b194ebdba.jpg
IMG_1356 by willfry, on Flickr
this one you can clearly see the unfinished I-69. overpasses were completed last year concrete exit ramps were poured and road beds were left ready for paving.  Federal funding ended and TDOT elected not to finish it without federal funds. So we now have a Highway to no where.
9176716210_08cfa96ea9.jpg
IMG_1355 by willfry, on Flickr
I69 in the other direction
9174499409_9c7ff3ba40.jpg
IMG_1351 by willfry, on Flickr
the train cars from the previously posted article.  
9176720094_f40beace1b.jpg
IMG_1348 by willfry, on Flickr

9176720526_b05343eb4f.jpg
IMG_1347 by willfry, on Flickr

It does look great, I haven't been able to tour it yet but a lot of people in town have.

Nashville could definitely use this. and it does look much more modern than cumberland. But I'm proud my hometown is getting it.  It is a great example of someone making their millions and then giving it back to the town that made them.

That's really great for Union City. A lot of our small towns and rural areas in Tennessee are struggling. I really hope this is successful and brings in some tourism to the area.

Once it gets established, it might be a good place to take my nieces.

this one you can clearly see the unfinished I-69. overpasses were completed last year concrete exit ramps were poured and road beds were left ready for paving.  Federal funding ended and TDOT elected not to finish it without federal funds. So we now have a Highway to no where.

Not quite sure where this park is, but a few months back TDOT released an FY2014-2016 plan that calls for the completion of a 2.6 mile segment to be completed from its current terminus to TN-5 south of Union City (as I'm understanding it).  I have a filling that TN-5 will be I-69's Terminus for a while after that though.  Here's a link. http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3841.75

• 2 weeks later...

as of right now it literally ends in corn fields on both ends. the southern end is supposed to merge into a highway section that was originally built to interstate standards the north end was as well. if they at least pave and connect both ends all it really means is that Union City now has a new bypass that almost exactly parallels the old one, the only difference being that the new one will be limited access and the old one is not.  

Archived