St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

I would agree with White's comments. Although it must be added that most upper and middle class families are white. 

I also beg you to look at those other cities in the Parish which as far as I know (with the exception of Baker which I think is starting to see a falter in their schools), those cities are predominantly white. 

Personally I think that the racism in the St. George debate is a BS problem. Anyone that has lived in this city knows that SBR is white and NBR is black. St. George happening or not happening is not going to change that reality. It is SBR that is the Parishes cash cow so I sympathize with those who say that BR is not properly allocating tax funds to that area of the city, in fact I think they are completely correct. These people are conservative, and conservative ideals are very basic in the belief that you reap what you sow and government should be small and community oriented. What these people see is a city government that does not focus on the issues facing SBR, is not working to really fixing the schools, and is diverting money away from SBR to fund projects downtown and in LSU. 

For urban planning nerds like us we love talk of renewing downtown's, building light rail, and revitalizing run down communities and neighborhoods, but for others they do not see the advantages of that. Instead they see a distant city government. So in that case why wouldn't they want to split? Keep the money that they generate and use it for projects they care about. It honestly makes perfect sense and has nothing to do with racism. I'm sure there are some racist jerks in St. George but they do not make up the majority and racism is not the fuel behind this project, it is frustration with the city government. 

To put it frankly the government of this city needs to look at community wide problems, especially those in SBR because whether we like it or not that is the area of the city growing the most, and the area that right now needs attention and focus. Especially with all of the traffic problems SBR faces, they need the money, the money they for the most part generate. 

IMHO the racism card was played to garner sympathy and was a cheap attempt by the city government to beat St. George. If the city government wants to end St. George they need to promise to change their ways, to devolve the school district, and to focus on fixing the problems SBR faces and help expand that area. If that sounds like too much or too SBR focused well then maybe it is time they make their own city.

The racism claim I stand by that back in 2013 they had article in the Advocate  they had a tone that took it there. Never heard the city-parish said nothing about race only I heard say anything is St. George. The parish invested parish tax dollar in to that area when that area was wood and farm land, but they keep saying the parish stealing from them which is a lie.  St George  becoming city won't fix traffic, won't make EBR schools better, won't improve transit. St George suppose be about good schools, but didn't included that the tax study.  Again never heard Baton Rouge use the race card .

The racism claim I stand by that back in 2013 they had article in the Advocate  they had a tone that took it there. Never heard the city-parish said nothing about race only I heard say anything is St. George. The parish invested parish tax dollar in to that area when that area was wood and farm land, but they keep saying the parish stealing from them which is a lie.  St George  becoming city won't fix traffic, won't make EBR schools better, won't improve transit. St George suppose be about good schools, but didn't included that the tax study.  Again never heard Baton Rouge use the race card .

Did you not watch the PBS documentary? There were so many city officials that painted St. George as racist. 

And yes they are being 'stolen' from. That area pays the most in taxes, but see's the least investment. That's not right. You're correct that St. George happening will not fix EBR schools, but for those in the St. George area it will, as for traffic who knows what a new city could do. The point is that the city government MUST change how it invests their money and must do something to show they care about the whole city, not just NBR and Downtown.

Did you not watch the PBS documentary? There were so many city officials that painted St. George as racist. 

And yes they are being 'stolen' from. That area pays the most in taxes, but see's the least investment. That's not right. You're correct that St. George happening will not fix EBR schools, but for those in the St. George area it will, as for traffic who knows what a new city could do. The point is that the city government MUST change how it invests their money and must do something to show they care about the whole city, not just NBR and Downtown.

Yes I watched every one wasn't city official there is where you are wrong I saw pastors and residents to.  EBR built that area up from farm land and wooded area and open fields the money come from residents. That part of the parish didn't pay a dime for that, and when come DDD its in tax in DDD and surrounding area of DDD. St George won't fix traffic not that is BS traffic is not EBR just its the BR Metro area problem. That area residents pay the least taxes in the state of Louisiana the 2 highest  in the state is in Baker and Central. You need to look it up Southeast and Southwest of the parish  taxes are not that high that's just BS and you know it. I guess now you are St George support based on your support?

Edited by greg225

Yes I watched every one wasn't city official there is where you are wrong I saw pastors and residents to.  EBR built that area up from farm land and wooded area and open fields the money come from residents. That part of the parish didn't pay a dime for that, and when come DDD its in tax in DDD and surrounding area of DDD. St George won't fix traffic not that is BS traffic is not EBR just its the BR Metro area problem. That area residents pay the least taxes in the state of Louisiana the 2 highest  in the state is in Baker and Central. You need to look it up Southeast and Southwest of the parish  taxes are not that high that's just BS and you know it. I guess now you are St George support based on your support?

Private enterprise built up that area, not the city or state this is not China. And the DDD gets money from the parish, now I personally believe that downtown looks great and amazing, but lets face it the city has even bigger problems right now and the city is not properly allocating those funds and then asking for the public to give the city more money. 

Now, I'm not talking about how high the taxes are, but the people in St. George pay the most because 1. That is where the BR economy is really centered 2. That is the wealthiest part of this city so by definition they give the city more money than any other area. 

And no I do not support St. George, I support smarter government.

Private enterprise built up that area, not the city or state this is not China. And the DDD gets money from the parish, now I personally believe that downtown looks great and amazing, but lets face it the city has even bigger problems right now and the city is not properly allocating those funds and then asking for the public to give the city more money. 

Now, I'm not talking about how high the taxes are, but the people in St. George pay the most because 1. That is where the BR economy is really centered 2. That is the wealthiest part of this city so by definition they give the city more money than any other area. 

And no I do not support St. George, I support smarter government.

Mall of Louisiana was a parish investment which sparked growth in that area. Now Mall of Louisiana been annexation and other properties have been also. Now about taxes been spread evenly I agree example  the Green Light program invested too much money in South part of the parish which they want to be a city. Zachary been waiting a bridge to be repaired by the Green Light Program for years never happen yet. My problem is that the south part of parish benefit from other people taxes that's not seeing it in there city or neighborhoods. The parish taxes been paying for that area for to long they say the parish stealing for then they stealing from Baker, Zachary, Central, Baton Rouge and other unincorporated areas in the parish.

Edited by greg225

Mall of Louisiana was a parish investment which sparked growth in that area. Now Mall of Louisiana been annexation and other properties have been also. Now about taxes been spread evenly I agree example  the Green Light program invested too much money in South part of the parish which they want to be a city. Zachary been waiting a bridge to be repaired by the Green Light Program for years never happen yet. My problem is that the south part of parish benefit from other people taxes that's not seeing it in there city or neighborhoods. The parish taxes been paying for that area for to long they say the parish stealing for then they stealing from Baker, Zachary, Central, Baton Rouge and other unincorporated areas in the parish.

I'm sorry, I simply disagree. South Baton Rouge including the area that would be St. George gives the parish the most money. That is why the city annexed as many of the big money makers as they could.

I'm sorry, I simply disagree. South Baton Rouge including the area that would be St. George gives the parish the most money. That is why the city annexed as many of the big money makers as they could.

Lets say if that area tax payers taxes only was used and lets say taxes from business in that area was only used it would not be a enough. That's why Zachary, Baker, Central, Baton Rouge and other unincorprated area tax payers are important. The  plants which is most in the north part of the parish bring million into the parish and other industrial jobs. North part of the parish maybe don't have the big retail centers, but the industrial jobs play a key factor.

Edited by greg225

Lets say if that area tax payers taxes only was used and lets say taxes from business in that area was only used it would not be a enough. That's why Zachary, Baker, Central, Baton Rouge and other unincorprated area tax payers are important. The  plants which is most in the north part of the parish bring million into the parish and other industrial jobs. North part of the parish maybe don't have the big retail centers, but the industrial jobs play a key factor.

You are correct that the industrial centers in North Baton Rouge do bring in millions, South Baton Rouge also brings in a solid few million dollars. I would argue that when you take out the industrial zones (which given that the Exxon Plant is not even in city limits) South Baton Rouge brings in more money in taxes than any other area. I've been to Baker and Baker is nothing more than a slightly more rural version of North Baton Rouge and I'm sure Central does not bring in that much money compared to SBR. And just so you know when I talk about South Baton Rouge I'm referring to everything south of Florida blvd. to the parish line.

The point is that the people of SBR/St.George give the city way more in taxes than any other area and all the see is a city with a terrible crime rate, horrible schools, and painfully bad traffic. Would you want to live in a city that has an annual budget of almost 1 billion dollars and still has those problems? 

I have an idea, why doesn't South Baton Rouge just go and make it's own city. Everything South of Florida Blvd and all of downtown that way the parish could see how much that half is important to the cities future.

You are correct that the industrial centers in North Baton Rouge do bring in millions, South Baton Rouge also brings in a solid few million dollars. I would argue that when you take out the industrial zones (which given that the Exxon Plant is not even in city limits) South Baton Rouge brings in more money in taxes than any other area. I've been to Baker and Baker is nothing more than a slightly more rural version of North Baton Rouge and I'm sure Central does not bring in that much money compared to SBR. And just so you know when I talk about South Baton Rouge I'm referring to everything south of Florida blvd. to the parish line.

The point is that the people of SBR/St.George give the city way more in taxes than any other area and all the see is a city with a terrible crime rate, horrible schools, and painfully bad traffic. Would you want to live in a city that has an annual budget of almost 1 billion dollars and still has those problems? 

I have an idea, why doesn't South Baton Rouge just go and make it's own city. Everything South of Florida Blvd and all of downtown that way the parish could see how much that half is important to the cities future.

Won't be good for Baton Rouge if everything south of Florida Blvd had become city and I don't like it. People leaving a area behind ain't the right way not trying to fix a problem is not the right way to go. Mid City redevelopment is the key for fixing NBR when Mid City it's redevelopment complete eveything in between Airline and Florida Blvd will be redeveloped. Baton Rouge FutureBR plan started in 2011 its only 2015 I think gotta give it time to work. Baker nothing like NBR other than it's mostly African American Baker is the the most safe city in the state of Louisiana.

Edited by greg225

Won't be good for Baton Rouge if everything south of Florida Blvd had become city and I don't like it. People leaving a area behind ain't the right way not trying to fix a problem is not the right way to go. Mid City redevelopment is the key for fixing NBR when Mid City it's redevelopment complete eveything in between Airline and Florida Blvd will be redeveloped. Baton Rouge FutureBR plan started in 2011 its only 2015 I think gotta give it time to work. Baker nothing like NBR other than it's mostly African American Baker is the the most safe city in the state of Louisiana.

Actually it would be great for South Baton Rouge, North BR would become more of a wasteland, but SBR would greatly benefit. 

FutureBR Plan was nothing more than a collection of ideas, none of which have actually been put into place in the five years since. BR needs a new plan, a plan that works.

If FutureBR wasn't good enough, I don't think anything else ever will be.

I don't think you understand what I was saying the point is FutureBR only been a  plan for 4 years. Plan Baton Rouge a 20 year plan been out since 1998 look at Downtown Baton Rouge the plan will be finish in 2018. FutureBR is a plan for the entire parish its only in the begin stages it takes time and money for plan to work. You can't say something isn't good enough after short 4 years.South Medical District, Mid City Redevelopment, Streetcar and BRT system, that's all in that plan plus more.

• 2 weeks later...

Registrar’s office finds St. George petition drive falls short of signatures required to bring incorporation to a vote                                 

After 21 months, hundreds of hours of volunteering and thousands of signatures, the ill-fated city of St. George came up short a mere 71 names.

The Registrar of Voters Office announced Saturday night that the St. George incorporation petition did not meet the requirement of signatures from 25 percent of voters in the proposed boundaries of the city. The petition was short by less than half of 1 percent of the total required signatures.

That effectively means there can be no election, the petition is voided and an effort cannot be renewed for two years.

But St. George organizers say the fight is far from over.

“We still believe we have enough signatures, and every option is on the table right now,” said Lionel Rainey, St. George spokesman. “For anyone to say this is over, that’s just inaccurate. This is something we’ve been prepared for, and we’ll continue to fight to make sure people’s voices are heard.”

In a Facebook post, the St. George leaders said Saturday night that there were “clear errors throughout the process” and that they are “reviewing the verification and tabulation process as well as preparing a legal challenge.”

But opponents of the St. George effort were already celebrating.

M.E. Cormier, a leader with anti-St. George group Better Together, said she started crying tears of happiness when she heard the news.

“It’s a tremendous step forward for Baton Rouge,” she said. “The St. George petition was two steps backward, but this can be taken as a step toward bettering our city and schools and people.”

It was her grass-roots organization that identified and publicized a tactic that ultimately proved successful. They targeted people who signed the petition and asked them to consider withdrawing their names. Ultimately, the group collected 1,180 valid withdrawal forms, subtracting that many names from the petition.

Cormier turned in more than 100 of those forms to the Registrar’s Office as recently as Thursday, ultimately securing the petition’s demise.

In total, St. George organizers needed 17,859 valid signatures on the petition. After the withdrawal forms were considered, the petition had 17,788 valid signatures, according to the Registrar’s Office.

Initially, St. George turned in 18,353 signatures in the fall. At the end of March, the Registrar announced the group was short because 17 percent of the names were invalidated for reasons such as not being a registered voter or not living within the proposed new city’s boundaries.

St. George leaders were given two months to close the gap of 2,694 signatures. They came back with 4,627 additional names.

But after another round of invalidating signatures and counting up the withdrawal forms, St. George came up short.

“I’m very happy that Baton Rouge is not going to be divided and this divisive effort that’s gone on for 21 months or so is now over,” said Mary Olive Pierson, the attorney representing the city-parish in its efforts against St. George. “We can now get back to turning our attention and energy to improving schools and keeping Baton Rouge together and being a united community.”

Pierson said that while she expects St. George leaders to challenge the petition process in court, she feels confident that the process was fair.

“If these people think that there have been mistakes that went against them, then why didn’t they say that before today?” Pierson said.

Cormier noted that when her group cast doubts on the Registrar’s process, that it was Rainey who leapt to its defense, saying the Registrar’s Office should be left alone to do its work.

The effort to create the city of St. George was born in fall 2013, after the state Legislature rejected a second attempt to create an independent school system in the southeast portion of the parish. Legislators told school advocates that they couldn’t have a school system, in part, because they were not a city.

Led by St. George co-chairman Norman Browning, volunteers leapt into action, starting a petition drive that has become the largest of its kind in state history.

The issue has been divisive, with parish elected officials and residents taking up sides.

Opponents were fearful that the new city, comprising 25 percent of the parish population, would financially devastate the city-parish budget. If St. George was incorporated, it would be able to claim sales taxes generated in its boundaries.

East Baton Rouge Parish Metro Councilman John Delgado, one of the most vocal opponents of St. George, said it’s time to refocus the parish’s energy on fixing the school system. While he said Saturday’s announcement was promising, he acknowledged the issue was likely not finished.

“This has been a very emotionally trying issue for a lot of people in this community,” he said. “At least for now, we can sit back, take a deep breath and hope that tomorrow comes up better than today.”     http://theadvocate.com/news/12644262-125/st-george-petition-drive-falls

• Like 1

Warren Drake got to get a fair shot to turn EBR schools around. We want every school in EBR Parish to be a great school not just some. I believe many more options will be create when it comes to charter schools. If the St George leader really want change they must be willing to work with everybody not just their side of town. I'm not going to lie I'm happy its over I think good can from it though.

Edited by greg225

Warren Drake got to get a fair shot to turn EBR schools around. We want every school in EBR Parish to be a great school not just some. I believe many more options will be create when it comes to charter schools. If the St George leader really want change they must be willing to work with everybody not just their side of town. I'm not going to lie I'm happy its over I think good can from it though.

I'm right there with you Greg! This stupid idea is finally done, though I was kind of warming up to it because I thought it actually would happen. 

I think Charter schools are the only option at this point.

Charter schools nor St. George are the right choice. Both are easy cop-outs to a bigger social issue. Create the same type of environment for the kids that attend the schools like Dutchtown and Woodlawn. Let me tell you this, nothing great about Ascension Parish schools AT ALL. Only thing is, the children aren't poor living in crime infested neighborhoods.

Charter schools nor St. George are the right choice. Both are easy cop-outs to a bigger social issue. Create the same type of environment for the kids that attend the schools like Dutchtown and Woodlawn. Let me tell you this, nothing great about Ascension Parish schools AT ALL. Only thing is, the children aren't poor living in crime infested neighborhoods.

True, EBR Parish Schools need to stop over looking the poor areas of the parish. EBR Schools is C+ School System based on the state grading system could easy be A+ if they start working on failing schools problems. Most of the failing school buildings are falling apart and over crowded classrooms.

Edited by greg225

Then the only way for that environment to exist in this city is to build public boarding schools. 

I just moved to Frisco, TX and the difference is night and day. Here they passes a major tax initiative capping the max student population at 2400 per high school. They have 124 and counting elementary schools. This district is in the top 5% in the country. You get what you pay for in some respects. A 250k house has about an 8k property tax bill. Part of it is the home environment but proper funding is also critical.

*humph* lol!

Defintely sounds like a good idea. If they draw up a comprehensive and complete plan here, maybe they can market it like the Green Light Plan? Its interesting to think that adjusted for inflation, the spending has gone up but students have fallen below 1970's. I wonder if that's because now they use computers,food cost, etc.

Edited by dan326

• 2 years later...

After nearly a 3 year hiatus on UP ..St George back in the news....Curious to see the new/smaller boundaries

‘We’re back,’ St. George organizers declare

https://www.businessreport.com/article/news-alert-back-st-george-organizers-declare

Renewed St. George effort proposes smaller city with more people, draws fire from mayor

https://www.businessreport.com/article/renewed-st-george-effort-proposes-smaller-city-people-draws-fire-mayor

Thanks Greg :thumbsup:  Only caught a brief glimpse of it a minute ago on WAFB

I no longer live in the new  proposed St.George boundary like before.

While the 1st movement was going BR rightfully decided to annex Mall of La /Medical corridor area & Celtic Movie Studio ...Does BR annex Perkins Rowe next ??

Interesting how the line is drawn btwn Harveston/Gardere; Southmoor is cut out near Coursey Blvd; 

Likely most of the residence north of I-12 would rather remain BR?