St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

1 hour ago, greg225 said:

It would not surprise me if Perkins Rowe is annex next only because it was originally supposed to be included  in BR Health District.    

Actually because of a new state law, annexations are much more difficult to undertake while petition for incorporation is underway in that parish.   

Edited by cajun

10 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

Well as stupid as I think this is in some respects, because I've always considered parts of the proposed boundaries Baton Rouge proper, I think it'll be a success. It will be a vote on Broome, not on actual incorporation. 

Corruption, incompetence, and divisiveness have only gotten worse in the past 3-4 years.    The schools have not improved.

Highly likely that we at least see a vote for a new city in East Baton Rouge next year.

IMO anything that slow the flow of suburban tax dollars running to Ascension and Livingston is a good thing for the long term viability of East Baton Rouge parish as a whole - which is good for the city of Baton Rouge and  the region.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, cajun said:

Corruption, incompetence, and divisiveness have only gotten worse in the past 3-4 years.    The schools have not improved.

Highly likely that we at least see a vote for a new city in East Baton Rouge next year.

IMO anything that slow the flow of suburban tax dollars running to Ascension and Livingston is a good thing for the long term viability of East Baton Rouge parish as a whole - which is good for the city of Baton Rouge and  the region.

I agree. I just hope that it becomes a city during a Republican governor.  If a Dem is in office the new city council will be appointed by the governor, not the community.  I think it's fair to say that such a move would be bad for the new city.

19 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

I agree. I just hope that it becomes a city during a Republican governor.  If a Dem is in office the new city council will be appointed by the governor, not the community.  I think it's fair to say that such a move would be bad for the new city.

Meh.   JBE wants to win re-election.   He's already on thin ice with a lot of suburban voters (particularly in Baton Rouge).    He'll probably try to appease the locals as much as he can.  

On 3/6/2018 at 5:44 PM, cajun said:

Meh.   JBE wants to win re-election.   He's already on thin ice with a lot of suburban voters (particularly in Baton Rouge).    He'll probably try to appease the locals as much as he can.  

He will have won re-election or not won by the time the vote happens. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

You're right. I'm still not sure they didn't do something funny to make the number of signatures taken back just happen to be right the amount needed to invalidate the effort, but we'll see how this goes. Just from casually watching the news they don't seem to report on Mayor Broom too much like when she first got elected, so I figured the St George people have just given up on her and are trying to this movement.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Is St.George really one step closer to becoming reality?  Will BR annex anymore land (or area business ask to be incorporated into BR) ; including Perkins Rowe?

After St. George supporters secure required signatures, what's next? 'An election looks inevitable'

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_3a19f4cc-3935-11e9-8228-c770e4392883.html

• 1 month later...

I'm glad people are trying to take charge in their community instead of just not caring.    

I support St. George.   What is already a part of another city is off limits, but what is unincorporated should be left up to the people who live there to decide.   Baton Rouge elected not to annex that area as it developed decades ago.     If they can get a good school district up and running, maybe it will help improve the Parish's fortunes and help the Capital area attract and retain better employers and professionals.   That is the rising tide that will lift all ships, including Baton Rouge's skiff in the long term.   

Anyone opting to buy a home or move to the Baton Rouge area should have a broad range of options within the boundaries of East Baton Rouge parish.   You shouldn't have to move to Ascension or Livingston to get good schools.    And your offspring shouldn't have to move to Houston or Atlanta to get good jobs.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 1:08 PM, cajun said:

I'm glad people are trying to take charge in their community instead of just not caring.    

I support St. George.   What is already a part of another city is off limits, but what is unincorporated should be left up to the people who live there to decide.   Baton Rouge elected not to annex that area as it developed decades ago.     If they can get a good school district up and running, maybe it will help improve the Parish's fortunes and help the Capital area attract and retain better employers and professionals.   That is the rising tide that will lift all ships, including Baton Rouge's skiff in the long term.   

Anyone opting to buy a home or move to the Baton Rouge area should have a broad range of options within the boundaries of East Baton Rouge parish.   You shouldn't have to move to Ascension or Livingston to get good schools.    And your offspring shouldn't have to move to Houston or Atlanta to get good jobs.  

This. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.aera.net/Newsroom/Study-School-District-Secessions-in-the-South-Have-Deepened-Racial-Segregation-between-School-Systems

“Our findings show that after district secessions, students are increasingly being sorted into different school districts by race,” said study coauthor Erica Frankenberg, a professor of education and demography at Pennsylvania State University. “Given the relative scarcity of students crossing district lines, the implications of this trend are profound. School segregation is becoming more entrenched, with potential long-term effects for residential integration patterns as well.”

The authors found that secession has occurred in large Southern school systems that have substantially lower shares of white students—roughly 33 percent white on average—than are typical of Southern schools overall—43 percent—“suggesting that racial threat and competition may be at work,” said Frankenberg.

“It’s hard not to look at many of these instances of secession and see them as a modern-day effort by Southern whites to avoid diverse schools,” said Siegel-Hawley, an associate professor of educational leadership, policy, and justice at Virginia Commonwealth University. “This is especially true given the obstacles to comprehensive cross-district integration policies.”

• 3 weeks later...

Going to be interesting to watch unfold ...

Some of those proposed boundaries are whack! The way it takes a section of just Coursey near Sherwood Commons making it look like a jig saw puzzle. I expect some places to be annexed by BR before it's all said & done(Mall  of La. & Celtic Studio previously).  Like Siegen Lane/Industriplex....Perkins Rowe in St.George?

Does the "ORANGE" precincts that Voted "No"  get  to stay out ??  That would make St.George roughly 1/3 smaller. The new city"GREEN" would basically be EAST of Pecue /Stumberg...but get fragmented  chunks University Club & Westminster

timage.png.978abc4c3303347b2842c206df1ac2ee.png

18 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Some of those proposed boundaries are whack! The way it takes a section of just Coursey near Sherwood Commons making it look like a jig saw puzzle. I expect some places to be annexed by BR before it's all said & done(Mall  of La. & Celtic Studio previously).  Like Siegen Lane/Industriplex....Perkins Rowe in St.George?

Does the "ORANGE" precincts that Voted "No"  get  to stay out ??  That would make St.George roughly 1/3 smaller. The new city"GREEN" would basically be EAST of Pecue /Stumberg...but get fragmented  chunks University Club & Westminster

St. George neighborhoods explore annexation into Baton Rouge, legal strategy takes shape                                                                                                            https://www.businessreport.com/newsletters/st-george-neighborhoods-explore-annexation-into-baton-rouge-as-legal-strategy-takes-shape

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 9:28 PM, richyb83 said:

Odds are...yes. There's still plenty of time for the final boundaries to be worked out and I have a feeling that when all is said and done, Pecue Lane/Highland Rd. will become the main dividing line between the two cities. 

The biggest question is how our Parish government changes after this. Frankly, I think BR reformers should try and push for a New York Borough like form of government.