St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

NOLA.com (the old Times) has been vastly more clear and independent in their coverage than the Advocate, Salon, or HuffPo. I can tell that BRAC's publicists are earning their pay this month.

When they use words like "secede", publish misleading titles, or display inaccurate maps designed to create tension, they've lost all credibility on the subject and have abandoned any semblance of honesty.

Inflaming tension and throwing an emotional wrench into a logical debate makes the entire metro area and the entire state look absolute foolish. Journalists should be above that.

Edited by cajun

This is about money. Everyone who is opposed to St George is afraid of the cuts that will result. The loss of money from a group of people that have been held hostage and are tired of being ignored.

As for "journalists" somehow being above bias? Fat chance. The days of honest, non-opinion news is dead.

Edited by itsjustme3

If they incorporate my wife and I will very likely move from Ascension back to EBR to St. George. Having good competitive schools and the convenience of being "in the city" would be too much for us to pass by...The only reason we wouldn't would be if my work asks us to move.

Have heard that some new Ascension residents have expressed buyers remorse for several reasons...but are only staying because of the schools.

Crazy to think in the new St. George that people living in the Millerville area would have to go that far to Woodlawn HS way down Jefferson Hwy

St. George proponents propose six new schools in district

If successful in its incorporation effort, supporters of the city of St. George say they would build six new schools in addition to the 10 that the new district would inherit from the East Baton Rouge Parish School District. St. George proponents announced their proposal today, noting the new school district—called the St. George Independent School District—would be larger than the actual boundaries of the new city, which they say is allowed by state law. The proposed new high school, two middle schools and three elementary schools all would be located on the west side of Interstate 10. “Based on our research, we see no reason to raise taxes to build additional schools or to run this school district. This area currently pays 43.45 mils and a dedicated 2-cent sales tax,” reads the announcement. “The tax base in the proposed St. George Independent School District, recently verified by Dr. Jim Richardson, provides ample funds to build six new schools and run a school district.” See a map of the proposed school district. The Committee to Incorporate the City of St. George is holding a public meeting from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Woodlawn Baptist Church, 5805 Jones Creek Road. Also today, the The Baton Rouge Association of Firefighters Local 557, which represents the Baton Rouge Fire Department, issued a statement opposing the incorporation of a new city. —Staff report

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportPM&date=

I have heard from some new Ascension residents that they love raising their kids away from crime and are enjoying lower taxes.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Areas with that level of poor planning and control have short life spans even with good public schools.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Areas with that level of poor planning and control have short life spans even with good public schools.

Only northern Ascension suffers from lack of any planning. The area is too close to south Baton Rouge to suffer from great outward migration. Prairieville may incorporate or choose to be annexed by St. George (if that is even possible in Louisiana).

Yep. Don't want it turning into another Baton Rouge.

Only northern Ascension suffers from lack of any planning. The area is too close to south Baton Rouge to suffer from great outward migration. Prairieville may incorporate or choose to be annexed by St. George (if that is even possible in Louisiana).

Can't annex another parish

The city of Eunice lies in both Acadia and St. Landry Parishes. Based on that precedent (Unless it was grandfathered in somehow before certain laws took effect--I'm not sure how the Eunice situation came to be), it seems like St. George could theoretically cross a parish boundary. 

Edited by garrett_225

Baton Rouge doesn't suffer from that poor of planning. St. George does.

you mean the non-existing city. Yet.

hahaha

The city of Eunice lies in both Acadia and St. Landry Parishes. Based on that precedent (Unless it was grandfathered in somehow before certain laws took effect--I'm not sure how the Eunice situation came to be), it seems like St. George could theoretically cross a parish boundary.

Unless I'm mistaken I remember a case from north Louisiana that the state constitution doesn't allow annexing outside of parish boundarys.

you mean the non-existing city. Yet.

hahaha

Unless I'm mistaken I remember a case from north Louisiana that the state constitution doesn't allow annexing outside of parish boundarys.

Like I said, not sure when it happened in relation to any law that's now on the books, but it is the one case I can think of where the city limits overlap parish lines. 

:lol:

I'm sorry....was this a serious post?

As far as roads and transportation, there's no telling how the CATS tax debacle will finish out, the Green Light Plan won't be enough. St. George officials will have to raise taxes to pay for it's needed infrastructure. Baton Rouge has it's problems but the incorporation of St. George won't be an instant fix.

As far as roads and transportation, there's no telling how the CATS tax debacle will finish out, the Green Light Plan won't be enough. St. George officials will have to raise taxes to pay for it's needed infrastructure. Baton Rouge has it's problems but the incorporation of St. George won't be an instant fix.

Oh I thought you were implying that Baton Rouge was a well planned, functional city with adequate infrastructure.

St George, Ascension, and Livingston's planning and infrastructure problems only exist because of the same Baton Rouge model that gave us College Drive, retail-killing feeder roads on Florida Blvd, and a sewer system that is only just now being brought up to 1st world standards. St. George at least has the excuse of being used as Baton Rouge's unwilling colony. Livingston and Ascension should know better and have the political independence to deal with their problems.

St George will need years to fix Baton Rouge infrastructure problems (which I sincerely hope doesn't get treated like other infrastructure needs in the Capitol area). They need six new schools for Pete's sake.

Edited by cajun

With reactions like this, Baton Rouge will sink....and I honestly won't be that upset if this is the kind of attitude they have.  

St. George is a possibility at this point.   It is far from a certainty.   What is a certainty is that irreparable harm that these kinds of initiatives (CATS tax-style) will have on East Baton Rouge.   Employees of the parish won't be able to live in certain parts of the parish anymore.   

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2013/12/baton_rouge_metro_council_memb.html

Baton Rouge Metro Council members propose not hiring anyone from St. George, Baker, Central, Zachary
The proposed ordinance would require all city-parish employees hired after Jan. 31, 2014, to be “domiciled within the city limits of the city of Baton Rouge or in the unincorporated areas of East Baton Rouge Parish.”
Edited by cajun

With reactions like this, Baton Rouge will sink....and I honestly won't be that upset if this is the kind of attitude they have.

St. George is a possibility at this point. It is far from a certainty. What is a certainty is that irreparable harm that these kinds of initiatives (CATS tax-style) will have on East Baton Rouge. Employees of the parish won't be able to live in certain parts of the parish anymore.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2013/12/baton_rouge_metro_council_memb.html

BWAHAHAHAHA!! Imagine the qualified talent pool to choose from. I don't envy the hiring managers if that idea becomes implemented.