St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

Then who does the government steal from?

I think y'all meant to say corporations. :good: haha

That's the same thing I said,  lol 

The ones who will fail the classes or do not care  :P

Honestly, the US needs to embrace start-up capitalism, not crony capitalism.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry but to include those facilities in their tax estimates was rather foolish. I just knew there was absolutely no way the city of B.R. was going to let someone else take all that good money.

England wasn't too keen on letting their colonies walk away either.....

Do they have the 18.5k signatures?

Nope, their aiming for December. Even then things don't look bright, it will take weeks to verify those signatures and given it took them this long to collect such a low number of signatures is not a good sign that the support will be there for the vote. Plus most people are going to vote in November and call it quits, I doubt December would have a big turn out. 

• Like 1

I think to pass it's based on actual votes not percentage of registered voters like it is to get on the ballot. They might need 18.5k signatures to get on a ballot but if 20 people vote they only need 11 yes votes to win. When you look at the general apathy of the American people getting 25% of registered voters is a significant task.

Nope, their aiming for December. Even then things don't look bright, it will take weeks to verify those signatures and given it took them this long to collect such a low number of signatures is not a good sign that the support will be there for the vote. Plus most people are going to vote in November and call it quits, I doubt December would have a big turn out.

That makes no sense. They just need enough yes votes to pass. Whether it's November or December is irrelevant.

They have nearly 18,000 verified signatures...which is possibly all they need already since an exact number hasn't been provided by the registrar. They don't require a percentage of "likely" voters.....they require a percentage of their entire voting pool. That's a massive hurdle, and they are nearly there.

It will pass with flying colors. Baton Rouge knows that well enough to hastily annex anything they can get their hands on.

Prepare yourself for the city of St George.

I think to pass it's based on actual votes not percentage of registered voters like it is to get on the ballot. They might need 18.5k signatures to get on a ballot but if 20 people vote they only need 11 yes votes to win. When you look at the general apathy of the American people getting 25% of registered voters is a significant task.

This. The Green Light Plan was passed with less than 20% turnout. That's a tiny fraction of the population actually deciding the issues. It's very rare to see more than 65% turnout.

They have nearly 18,000 verified signatures...which is possibly all they need already since an exact number hasn't been provided by the registrar. They don't require a percentage of "likely" voters.....they require a percentage of their entire voting pool. That's a massive hurdle, and they are nearly there.

It will pass with flying colors. Baton Rouge knows that well enough to hastily annex anything they can get their hands on.

Prepare yourself for the city of St George.

http://theadvocate.com/news/9879171-123/verifying-st-george-petition-signatures

Another article which I can not find right now talked about how they still need 1000 more signatures to make the December ballot. 

Personally I think that St. George would be a good thing, but I just do not see it happening. 

This. The Green Light Plan was passed with less than 20% turnout. That's a tiny fraction of the population actually deciding the issues. It's very rare to see more than 65% turnout.

True, though in this case I wonder if the city would say some BS like it is not legitimate because there was not enough turn out. In short St. George is not going to happen based on a vote, Holden will do anything he can to prevent it from happening. 

St. George is not going to happen with out a visit to the courts and a complete political upheaval...just watch. 

I'm thinking that it will create wounds that will exist for a long time. It will divide the city in a very negative way.

A little melodramatic, don't you think? Are there wounds from when Zachary split off? What about Baker?

The city is already divided. One half is tired of having god awful schools and the other half doesn't want to or doesn't seem capable of trying to fix the schools.

A little melodramatic, don't you think? Are there wounds from when Zachary split off? What about Baker?

Difference is in the proposed St. George...people already have Baton Rouge addresses; that would change. Baker & Zachary have always been their own towns with their own address; even before they started their own school districts