St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

A little melodramatic, don't you think? Are there wounds from when Zachary split off? What about Baker?

The city is already divided. One half is tired of having god awful schools and the other half doesn't want to or doesn't seem capable of trying to fix the schools.

To try and reverberate what Richy said from an outsiders perspective, this looks different. St. George is already considered a part of Baton Rouge, it's public identifies itself as Baton Rougians, and businesses in that area consider themselves Baton Rouge businesses. This effort would force all of that to be considered a new city, something that has become apart of the cities fabric and identity will be cut off and declared a new city. It appears that this effort is ten years short, they waited to long and that area has become Baton Rouge. 

And in general this entire ordeal has strayed very far from 'Better Schools'. It is not about the schools at this point...

To try and reverberate what Richy said from an outsiders perspective, this looks different. St. George is already considered a part of Baton Rouge, it's public identifies itself as Baton Rougians, and businesses in that area consider themselves Baton Rouge businesses. This effort would force all of that to be considered a new city, something that has become apart of the cities fabric and identity will be cut off and declared a new city. It appears that this effort is ten years short, they waited to long and that area has become Baton Rouge.

And in general this entire ordeal has strayed very far from 'Better Schools'. It is not about the schools at this point...

So what you and Richy are saying is that because the people and businesses of St George will have a new city address name that it's just too much for the people in the BR area to understand so therefore the people if St George should just accept their crappy schools?

I'm pretty sure when this passes and the people of St. George get a new city name, there won't be mass calamity and the sun will still come up the next day.

And yes this is about schools. The same reason Zachary and Baker went their own way. Anti-St George race baiters would want you to believe otherwise.

Edited by itsjustme3

And yes this is about schools. The same reason Zachary and Baker went their own way. Anti-St George race baiters would want you to believe otherwise.

This. 

The proposed district is supposed to be like 30% black, isn't it? That may not sound large to people in Louisiana, who are used to cities being at least 50% minority, but it's far from the image of lily-white suburbia that the race-baiters are trying to paint. The picture they paint definitely breezes right over the fact that Gardere would be included in the new district. It goes against what they want everyone to think about St. George. 

If I am right with that 30% figure, St. George would actually be more diverse than a handful of our larger cities here in the U.S.

Edited by garrett_225

I do not think that it has become a racial fight I think it has become a money fight. Baton Rouge is not and was not (from what I read) dependent on Zachary and Baker for money, however Baton Rouge is reliant on the money that comes from St. George. That single fact makes this entire event very different from any incorporation that previously happened. 

It has become a fight for money, the money that comes from what would be St. George. 

Not to mention, like others have said, what would be St. George is already considered a part of Baton Rouge proper.

I do not think that it has become a racial fight I think it has become a money fight. Baton Rouge is not and was not (from what I read) dependent on Zachary and Baker for money, however Baton Rouge is reliant on the money that comes from St. George. That single fact makes this entire event very different from any incorporation that previously happened. 

Of course it's a money fight. But a money fight doesn't bring about the same type of emotional outrage that race-baiting does. 

Edited by garrett_225

SHAME on the race baiters...yeah St. George will have Gardere(looks like it's now called Riverland) in the new city; but they conveniently overlook that....

With a population of 107,000 people; & only ONE High School(Woodlawn)...there is going to be some serious overcrowding until they can build more H.S.'s...that will take some time!

Not really a fan of the "name" St. George....WHO Voted on that name?? Isn't there ENOUGH Parishes with that... St. James; St.John the Baptist; St.Bernard, St.Charles; St.Tammany; St.Mary; St.Landry; St. Martin

Edited by richyb83

It has become a fight for money, the money that comes from what would be St. George. 

Not to mention, like others have said, what would be St. George is already considered a part of Baton Rouge proper.

I do believe money is the root here especially with the scramble to annex unincorporated areas. The areas aren't really considered a part of the city proper. The Garden District residents don't have the "I'm In" signs displayed in their yards. Same goes for Westminster residents and "Stronger Together" signs.

Of course it's a money fight. But a money fight doesn't bring about the same type of emotional outrage that race-baiting does. 

It's so easy to use race when you compare the demographics of the proposed city to Baton Rouge.

Not really a fan of the "name" St. George....WHO Voted on that name?? Isn't there ENOUGH Parishes with that... St. James; St.John the Baptist; St.Bernard, St.Charles; St.Tammany; St.Mary; St.Landry; St. Martin

I never cared for the name!

SHAME on the race baiters...yeah St. George will have Gardere(looks like it's now called Riverland) in the new city; but they conveniently overlook that....

With a population of 107,000 people; & only ONE High School(Woodlawn)...there is going to be some serious overcrowding until they can build more H.S.'s...that will take some time!

Yeah, I agree. Who the hell came up with that? They should call it something catchy like Westminster. 

Also in case no one noticed, it appears that the city borders changed again. On Google maps it is showing a huge portion of what would be St. George has been annexed and to be honest if these borders are true I'm backing St. George all the way, it will be a nice little city next to the proper and I could see some serious potential to become Baton Rouge's own Parramatta (if developed properly.) 

It's so easy to use race when you compare the demographics of the proposed city to Baton Rouge.

I agree and it is sad, but if recent events are to say anything playing the race card sometimes works. 

Also in case no one noticed, it appears that the city borders changed again. On Google maps it is showing a huge portion of what would be St. George has been annexed and to be honest if these borders are true I'm backing St. George all the way, it will be a nice little city next to the proper and I could see some serious potential to become Baton Rouge's own Parramatta (if developed properly.) 

Google Maps content is managed by local users and I am pretty sure many of us have contributed. The city limits did change, however they are not accurate, nor were they previously accurate, so I would image someone is trolling the St. George promoters. 

Below is a map of a Baton Rouge edit I made, but it has what would be the St. George city based on Google's boundary's. Also, excuse the massive Harbor and the fact that St. George is named Westminster.

30csqaa.png

Congrats. You made a very inaccurate map.

I see you have St. George dipping down into Prairieville.

And missing everything south of 10.

I see you have St. George dipping down into Prairieville.

Prairieville is further south. 

Congrats. You made a very inaccurate map.

And missing everything south of 10.

Thanks, once again this was created by using Google's boundaries...puts perspective of how bad they are. Still I would prefer a smaller St. George rather then the massive city they propose. 

One general question after watching tonight's Separate and Unequal, why in the hell did the St. George backers not try and start a movement to change the public schools? They probably could have gotten a lot more done and much larger backing/support. Not to mention if it is all about the kids why not try and improve the schools for all the kids not the ones that would be in St. George? 

Edited by mr. bernham

Prairieville is further south. 

Thanks, once again this was created by using Google's boundaries...puts perspective of how bad they are. Still I would prefer a smaller St. George rather then the massive city they propose. 

One general question after watching tonight's Separate and Unequal, why in the hell did the St. George backers not try and start a movement to change the public schools? They probably could have gotten a lot more done and much larger backing/support. Not to mention if it is all about the kids why not try and improve the schools for all the kids not the ones that would be in St. George? 

Ascension Parish begins at Bayou Manchac. So everything south of Santa Maria is Prairieville.

St. George area residents attempted to create their own school district, however, the Louisiana Legislature denied their request based on the fact that they do not have their own municipality.

...and here we are.

• Like 1

They did. It's well publicized. The documentary crew left it out. Shows that the documentary crew had a agenda from the start.

Ascension Parish begins at Bayou Manchac. So everything south of Santa Maria is Prairieville.

St. George area residents attempted to create their own school district, however, the Louisiana Legislature denied their request based on the fact that they do not have their own municipality.

...and here we are.

That is still doing the same thing, why did they not use all this political might to change the entire EBR system. There is no need to separate when you can change the whole thing for everyone. 

What makes me the most angry about this is that they made it about education, but what they are doing is not fixing education. They had the opportunity to change the entire system, and I know that had they made a petition for that it would have gotten 18,000 plus signatures in a month. Plus this city could have gotten a documentary that showed Baton Rouge as a place advocating for change, not a false image of a racist and segregated city. 

Edited by mr. bernham

That is still doing the same thing, why did they not use all this political might to change the entire EBR system. There is no need to separate when you can change the whole thing for everyone.

What makes me the most angry about this is that they made it about education, but what they are doing is not fixing education. They had the opportunity to change the entire system, and I know that had they made a petition for that it would have gotten 18,000 plus signatures in a month. Plus this city could have gotten a documentary that showed Baton Rouge as a place advocating for change, not a false image of a racist and segregated city.

No offense but on this subject you are wayyy in the dark because you are a new resident to Louisiana.

You think you are going to tell the BR school district to do a better job? You think you or a group of people are going to change anything? You've got to be kidding me. And a petition was going to fix the schools? The failing schools just needed a petition?? C'mon.

You act like these people (who have watched their schools completely fail their students while Zachary, Bakes and Ascension are doing better jobs) just woke up and decided to split off?

And you said "Plus this city could have gotten a documentary that showed Baton Rouge as a place advocating for change, not a false image of a racist and segregated city."....why would the people of St George care what a bunch of racists are calling them? Some people resort to name calling and others attempt to FIX problems.

Edited by itsjustme3

No offense but on this subject you are wayyy in the dark because you are a new resident to Louisiana.

You think you are going to tell the BR school district to do a better job? You think you or a group of people are going to change anything? You've got to be kidding me. And a petition was going to fix the schools? The failing schools just needed a petition?? C'mon.

You act like these people (who have watched their schools completely fail their students while Zachary, Bakes and Ascension are doing better jobs) just woke up and decided to split off?

And you said "Plus this city could have gotten a documentary that showed Baton Rouge as a place advocating for change, not a false image of a racist and segregated city."....why would the people of St George care what a bunch of racists are calling them? Some people resort to name calling and others attempt to FIX problems.

Though this does not fix anything, sure maybe for the students that will be lucky to live in St. George. 

The American system is created to allow for change, sure Louisiana has it's ignorant politicians, but that is what threats and elections are for. 

In my mind everyone here knows the schools suck and if the St. George people put everything they put into this towards a city wide educational change it would have had massive backing from everyone. Hell, I would back it and sign my name in big bold letters. To ignore a movement like that would have been a terrible political decision. 

Still you have not answered my question, why did they not try and push for city wide change of the schools if they care so much about them? Makes no sense to me. 

Maybe you are right maybe I am new and do not know much about this city, but I was not born yesterday and I know that too many people here do not like the public schools and if given the hope and chance to fix them they would have done it. After all St. George has 18,000 signatures proving that people here want change.  

Never hurt anyone to try now did it? St. George has become more then a petition, it started discussion about the schools and how we fix them. That is the perfect spark to ignite a flame of change. 

For some reason it's making me nervous to see all that imaginary water.

Nah mate, make nice area for a harbor  :P

^Lol, I guess that map and talking about documentaries makes me think of those global warming documentaries that'll have you thinking you'll wake up with your bed floating in the ocean. Well, I think education is sort of a buzzword that most people don' truly know what it all entails, myself included. I think this effort is partly about "education" but not entirely, not to say its about racism though. I think people want a quick fix to "education" without having to put in any personal effort and signing a petition is a easy way to feel like one has done a lot.

• Like 1