St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

Let me tell you this, Dutchtown was chock full of incompetent teachers. Not only that, I don't agree with our nations model for education anyway so I feel that plays a larger or equal role than quality of staff.

But I think a lot of these kids (regardless of how the system is set up) need some type of positive role model or influence. With the right staff a school can provide that for kids. 

And here is another related question, should we build more smaller schools rather then a few larger ones? 

But I think a lot of these kids (regardless of how the system is set up) need some type of positive role model or influence. With the right staff a school can provide that for kids. 

And here is another related question, should we build more smaller schools rather then a few larger ones? 

That's true, good point. But when teachers have 150 kids a year I think it's hard for them to gain a real connection.

Another good point, I would imagine smaller schools will be more intimate. The new Lee High should be interesting.

St George will have to figure that out on their own. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.....but I do have a preference for smaller elementary schools, moderate intermediate schools (less than 1100 students), and larger high schools (2,000-3,000).

That's not a "one sized fits all" approach. St George may get better results with a different setup. Zachary has a funny setup that's worked well for them.

News alert: St. George supporters submitting petition today

Organizers of the city of St. George incorporation effort are submitting more than 18,000 petition signatures to the East Baton Rouge Registrar of Voters office today, potentially clearing the way for voters in unincorporated East Baton Rouge Parish to weigh in on the issue in the Dec. 6 election. Registrar of Voters Elaine Lamb says Tuesday is the deadline for submissions to be placed on the December ballot, though her office must still verify the petition signatures and determine roughly 17,750 are valid in order for a vote on the issue to go forward. "It's going to take several weeks to verify them because early voting starts tomorrow and all four of my offices will be bombarded," Lamb says. In a prepared statement, St. George spokesman Lionel Rainey says the group chose to turn in the petition today—even though it does not yet have the 20,000 signatures that would ensure enough of those on the petition are valid—due to "the constant efforts by the City of Baton Rouge to undermine the democratic process." Local attorney Mary Olive Pierson, who is representing the city-parish in its efforts to prevent the incorporation, has said the city would immediately file a legal challenge once the petition was submitted. Pierson could not immediately be reached for comment this morning. —Stephanie Riegel

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportAM

City-parish vows to file suit challenging St. George petition

Mary Olive Pierson, who is representing the city-parish in its efforts to prevent the city of St. George from incorporating, says a suit will be filed soon to challenge the petition that organizers of the incorporation effort submitted to the East Baton Rouge Registrar of Voters office earlier today.

"We will file suit shortly," Pierson tells Daily Report. "The petition is legally insufficient." While organizers championed the petition submission today, Pierson says they fell short of their goal. "They did not get the signatures they wanted and their margin is small," she says.

The St. George organizers submitted more than 18,000 petition signatures, potentially clearing the way for voters in unincorporated East Baton Rouge Parish to weigh in on the issue in the Dec. 6 election.

*rest of article

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportPM&date=20141020

• 2 months later...

If this proposed city of St. George does happen....how much (if any) will property taxes go up? Hearing conflicting reports. And would the taxes be different for the Eastside Fire protection district as opposed to the St. George fire protection district?

I read somewhere that they would be considerably higher then they currently are. I think double or triple the current cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that they would be considerably higher then they currently are. I think double or triple the current cost.

If St George wants to tax themselves to build state of the art schools or the state's best public safety system, that is their choice.

It's highly unlikely that taxes would double or triple. People towing that line are fear mongering.

If St George wants to tax themselves to build state of the art schools or the state's best public safety system, that is their choice.

It's highly unlikely that taxes would double or triple. People towing that line are fear mongering.

And who says they will not want the best schools and public safety in the state? This whole thing was about fixing the things wrong with BR.

And who says they will not want the best schools and public safety in the state? This whole thing was about fixing the things wrong with BR.

No one is suggesting that they would half-arse a chance to setup their own schools. It's just asinine to suggest that property taxes would rise at all, much double or triple at this point.

If property taxes go up anywhere in East Baton Rouge, it will be because the voters there wanted it. St George, if incorporated, can control their own destiny in that respect.

Edited by cajun

YES it is dividing the parish and you know what I meant PRAY TO GOD IT NEVER HAPPEN

No I don't. No one is splitting away from the parish. This is merely an incorporation effort to gain access to new municipal schools. It's great that people are trying to improve their situation instead of moving away to Prarieville, Walker, Gonzales, or Watson.

I'm praying that it does happen. A decent school district in EBR parish keeps the tax base here long term, and provides locals another option other than Livingston or Ascension.....which keeps the capital region viable and competitive.

I'm tired of seeing the middle class squeezed out to outlying suburban districts out of concerns for public school quality. A decent St George school district would be the most effective tool to fight the trend of outward migration into Ascension and Livingston.

Edited by cajun

I agree, thats public money that is going to be taken away from city wide public services. However, I think it (being the referendums) should be limited to large swaths of land like St. George.

It's obvious that Baton Rouge feels threatened, but I don't understand why. We should be doing anything and everything we possibly can to make East Baton Rouge more attractive. St George would provide another option that isn't Denham Springs or Prarieville.

Cajun you dont live in EBR and if live hear you understand what I meant about the parish been divide. Second if people yes to these St George people to be a city that mean city but not schools they may never have their own schools. Third they wont even a police the department that some on her think. NO TO ST GEORGE LET EVERYONE IN EBR VOTE!!!

What I hate about those people on the St George side they acted like no one can disagree with them. When they start there this non sense they bad mouthing the whole Baton Rouge and EBR I will never forget that.  25 Percent of sign  75 Percent didn't  I'm with the 75 Percent I stand with them.