St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

In fact, the only way Kip can win this battle is if the city and St. George compromise and let St. George have its own school district under the circumstance the city is annexed into BR. 

Also if it were to be annexed, Baton Rouge would have roughly a population of 340,000. This would be 40,000 short of New Orleans and economically would make the city stronger. From an economic perspective it makes more sense to become one large city rather then two mid-sized ones which is why the city and the state must allow St. George to have its own school district. 

would be smart if both work together and get the school system in that area, and in return annex that area in to Baton Rouge. 

• Like 1

would be smart if both work together and get the school system in that area, and in return annex that area in to Baton Rouge. 

No it wouldn't. St. George should have its own school district, but not its own city. Baton Rouge needs some type of alternative education from the horrible system we have if we expect the city to grow at all. And lets face it, the growth is happening in the St. George area. 

• Like 1

No it wouldn't. St. George should have its own school district, but not its own city. Baton Rouge needs some type of alternative education from the horrible system we have if we expect the city to grow at all. And lets face it, the growth is happening in the St. George area. 

I never said St George should have their own city. What I said is St George and Baton Rouge should work together to help that area get a schools system, and in return St George annex that area in to Baton Rouge city limits.

Edited by greg225

• 1 month later...

Clock ticking on St. George petition effort, 2,694 signatures short, Registrar’s Office says

http://theadvocate.com/news/11977709-125/st-george-petition-2694-signatures

St. George proponents confident they can get 2,700 additional signatures needed to get incorporation on fall ballot

http://www.businessreport.com/article/st-george-proponents-confident-can-get-2700-additional-signatures-needed-get-incorporation-fall-ballot

I think they have a plan and are riding the clock to get the vote put up for the most favorable time. Or maybe they feel that if it takes long enough, by the time it goes to ballot, all the opponents will "be over it" and won't bother going out of their way to vote no. Either way, I've come to point where, if this is what the people want then... And like Cajun and I had mentioned before, I think this provides an attractive place to live as opposed to an attractive area (Prairieville, Central, etc.)

I think they have a plan and are riding the clock to get the vote put up for the most favorable time. Or maybe they feel that if it takes long enough, by the time it goes to ballot, all the opponents will "be over it" and won't bother going out of their way to vote no. Either way, I've come to point where, if this is what the people want then... And like Cajun and I had mentioned before, I think this provides an attractive place to live as opposed to an attractive area (Prairieville, Central, etc.)

If the people really wanted it, then it would have been on the ballot already. 75% of that areas population has not signed the petition, if the whole are actually cared then they would have had at least 51% signing it.

If the people really wanted it, then it would have been on the ballot already. 75% of that areas population has not signed the petition, if the whole are actually cared then they would have had at least 51% signing it.

Well if that's the case, then there's nothing to worry about. :)

• 1 month later...

Does the truth lie somewhere in between?? BR says "Yes"..Taxes will go up...St.George says "No" they will not....

St. George budget off by $12.5 million, taxes would be raised, latest CPA report says

The issue of whether St. George would have to raise taxes has been used ammunition by opponents of the movement. St. George leaders have maintained they’d run a more efficient government that wouldn’t require additional taxes to operate.

http://blogs.theadvocate.com/cityhallbuzz/2015/05/20/st-george-budget-off-by-12-5-million-taxes-would-be-raised-lastest-cpa-report-says/

I've said this a thousand time this not what is best for EBR Parish hope it never happens. All this will do if happens will divide EBR  for a long time. This what I mean  it will divide for a long time it would  be Baton Rouge vs St George or St. George vs Baton Rouge and it will be ugly for a long time I don't want that for EBR. I prayed to God St George won't happen and I put my faith in God it won't happen.

Edited by greg225

Does the truth lie somewhere in between?? BR says "Yes"..Taxes will go up...St.George says "No" they will not....

St. George budget off by $12.5 million, taxes would be raised, latest CPA report says

The issue of whether St. George would have to raise taxes has been used ammunition by opponents of the movement. St. George leaders have maintained they’d run a more efficient government that wouldn’t require additional taxes to operate.

http://blogs.theadvocate.com/cityhallbuzz/2015/05/20/st-george-budget-off-by-12-5-million-taxes-would-be-raised-lastest-cpa-report-says/

However, officials with East Baton Rouge Parish government contend the CRI report is based on flawed data, erroneously counting revenue for St. George from the north Baton Rouge industrial corridor, which is not in the footprint of the proposed city.

“The industrial corridor is a huge pocket of the unincorporated portion of the parish that is not in the proposed St. George,” East Baton Rouge Parish Chief Financial Officer Marsha Hanlon says.  

However, officials with East Baton Rouge Parish government contend the CRI report is based on flawed data, erroneously counting revenue for St. George from the north Baton Rouge industrial corridor, which is not in the footprint of the proposed city.

“The industrial corridor is a huge pocket of the unincorporated portion of the parish that is not in the proposed St. George,” East Baton Rouge Parish Chief Financial Officer Marsha Hanlon says.  

Lol. 

I'm right there with you greg, praying to God this doesn't happen.

Something is very fishy about those numbers that they have turned in today. I bet a good bit  would be trowed out and they this won't make the count. St George = Racism, White Flight, Greed, and what they don't understand they are hurt EBR. Baton Rouge years ago should have became a independent city no parish, own school system and left EBR to carry their own weight. 

Going to respectfully disagree with the "racism"  as some medias pundits may have tried to twist/slant this in that direction...if that were True??...then St. George would not also be incorporating "Gardere"...as rough as any area in the 70805 ....

I'd rather not see St. George happen either; would rather Baton Rouge figure this school thing out...maybe newly elected superintendent  Warren Drake can work some magic??....but in the  past EBR School System forced SE BR's hand...they are getting NO bang for their $$buck$$ + too see the EBR system go from 67,000 in 1979 to around 42,000—a 36% drop—while the number of parish residents grew by 25%,”....is disturbing!

There are black people who live in the proposed St. George who don't send their kids to EBR Public school system...they are also moving to suburbs to get away from crime ridden area's. People can only take so much Thuggin it & lovin' it...

• Like 1

Going to respectfully disagree with the "racism"  as some medias pundits may have tried to twist/slant this in that direction...if that were True??...then St. George would not also be incorporating "Gardere"...as rough as any area in the 70805 ....

I'd rather not see St. George happen either; would rather Baton Rouge figure this school thing out...maybe newly elected superintendent  Warren Drake can work some magic??....but in the  past EBR School System forced SE BR's hand...they are getting NO bang for their $$buck$$ + too see the EBR system go from 67,000 in 1979 to around 42,000—a 36% drop—while the number of parish residents grew by 25%,”....is disturbing!

There are black people who live in the proposed St. George who don't send their kids to EBR Public school system...they are also moving to suburbs to get away from crime ridden area's. People can only take so much Thuggin it & lovin' it...

First of all Gardere is not in the 70805 the 70805 is in North Baton Rouge. Second I say St George racist because article they wrote back in  2013 and it been clear to me every since.  If you look at the map Gardere is very small neighborhood. You say how numbers in  EBR school system declined EBR was mostly white in 1979 and that change due to white flight. The school system wasn't bad in 1990, but white people left parish then. Livingston Parish is mostly white they have just as much crime I think people gotta open their eyes.  If St George so focus on school why wasn't it in the recent study they done about taxes. 

Edited by greg225

I know Gardere is NOT 70805...Never said it was....I know EXACTLY where 70805 is...in NBR.........communicating on internet isn't always easy...

White flight is a phenomenon all over...Detroit, Atlanta, Washington DC, Memphis, St.Louis, Chicago, etc...not just BR

At the Baton Rouge Press Club  Sen. Bodi White said, “Some people say it’s just white flight. It’s not true. It’s middle-class and upper-middle-class flight is what it is.”

Crime is such a broad definition...true crimes are committed everywhere...Livingston is known as the crystal meth capital of Louisiana. But the murder rate/shootings in BR tells a whole different  story.

You have a right to your opinion...

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

^

^

^Thanks for bringing up those points. It's OK Richy, you can call what they did by its name, lying. I already was skeptical of media but now I know for sure. I read some terrible articles from national news sources, all with various white vs black titles to create mess, make a sensational story and there by bring in $$$. One said the words that the rich white people want to secede from Baton Rouge proper because the city still houses the 200,000+ displaced New Orleanians, who have mostly settled in North BR. And no national media outlet, not even the PBS special, has mentioned how Zachary, Baker, or Central did the same thing to add context to the situation.

I believe there are people who are racist but I don't think this is the case. On the PBS special BR desegregation attorney said residents chose to flee instead of face the unknown. I think a perfect sentiment to sum this all up is why take a losing chance with your most precious investment (child)?

Edited by dan326

I know Gardere is NOT 70805...Never said it was....I know EXACTLY where 70805 is...in NBR.........communicating on internet isn't always easy...

White flight is a phenomenon all over...Detroit, Atlanta, Washington DC, Memphis, St.Louis, Chicago, etc...not just BR

At the Baton Rouge Press Club  Sen. Bodi White said, “Some people say it’s just white flight. It’s not true. It’s middle-class and upper-middle-class flight is what it is.”

Crime is such a broad definition...true crimes are committed everywhere...Livingston is known as the crystal meth capital of Louisiana. But the murder rate/shootings in BR tells a whole different  story.

You have a right to your opinion...

^

^

^Thanks for bringing up those points. It's OK Richy, you can call what they did by its name, lying. I already was skeptical of media but now I know for sure. I read some terrible articles from national news sources, all with various white vs black titles to create mess, make a sensational story and there by bring in $$$. One said the words that the rich white people want to secede from Baton Rouge proper because the city still houses the 200,000+ displaced New Orleanians, who have mostly settled in North BR. And no national media outlet, not even the PBS special, has mentioned how Zachary, Baker, or Central did the same thing to add context to the situation.

I believe there are people who are racist but I don't think this is the case. On the PBS special BR desegregation attorney said residents chose to flee instead of face the unknown. I think a perfect sentiment to sum this all up is why take a losing chance with your most precious investment (child)?

Baker and Zachary been cities since the 1800's so they are different. Central is different also when they choose to become a city they open their books with the Parish President they did it the right way. They plan of government was talk about now what St George is doing they are not letting their plan be know to no one.  Never saw a title say black vs white, but the article I read was there words that why I'm against them.

Edited by greg225

You have a right to your opinion...

I disagree with Sen. Bodi White he is someone I have no respect for 

I would agree with White's comments. Although it must be added that most upper and middle class families are white. 

I also beg you to look at those other cities in the Parish which as far as I know (with the exception of Baker which I think is starting to see a falter in their schools), those cities are predominantly white. 

Personally I think that the racism in the St. George debate is a BS problem. Anyone that has lived in this city knows that SBR is white and NBR is black. St. George happening or not happening is not going to change that reality. It is SBR that is the Parishes cash cow so I sympathize with those who say that BR is not properly allocating tax funds to that area of the city, in fact I think they are completely correct. These people are conservative, and conservative ideals are very basic in the belief that you reap what you sow and government should be small and community oriented. What these people see is a city government that does not focus on the issues facing SBR, is not working to really fixing the schools, and is diverting money away from SBR to fund projects downtown and in LSU. 

For urban planning nerds like us we love talk of renewing downtown's, building light rail, and revitalizing run down communities and neighborhoods, but for others they do not see the advantages of that. Instead they see a distant city government. So in that case why wouldn't they want to split? Keep the money that they generate and use it for projects they care about. It honestly makes perfect sense and has nothing to do with racism. I'm sure there are some racist jerks in St. George but they do not make up the majority and racism is not the fuel behind this project, it is frustration with the city government. 

To put it frankly the government of this city needs to look at community wide problems, especially those in SBR because whether we like it or not that is the area of the city growing the most, and the area that right now needs attention and focus. Especially with all of the traffic problems SBR faces, they need the money, the money they for the most part generate. 

IMHO the racism card was played to garner sympathy and was a cheap attempt by the city government to beat St. George. If the city government wants to end St. George they need to promise to change their ways, to devolve the school district, and to focus on fixing the problems SBR faces and help expand that area. If that sounds like too much or too SBR focused well then maybe it is time they make their own city.

Edited by mr. bernham