St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

BWAHAHAHAHA!! Imagine the qualified talent pool to choose from. I don't envy the hiring managers if that idea becomes implemented.

This has bigger implications than that.   These reactions (including accusations of racism and very flawed "sky is falling" predictions) will cause more harm to the parish than the actual incorporation of St. George.  

I predict Holden holds a press conference within the next day.   He needs to be neutral and advise constituents to research the proposed city in detail and consider all the impacts with a cool head.   

Oh I thought you were implying that Baton Rouge was a well planned, functional city with adequate infrastructure.

St George, Ascension, and Livingston's planning and infrastructure problems only exist because of the same Baton Rouge model that gave us College Drive, retail-killing feeder roads on Florida Blvd, and a sewer system that is only just now being brought up to 1st world standards. St. George at least has the excuse of being used as Baton Rouge's unwilling colony. Livingston and Ascension should know better and have the political independence to deal with their problems.

St George will need years to fix Baton Rouge infrastructure problems (which I sincerely hope doesn't get treated like other infrastructure needs in the Capitol area). They need six new schools for Pete's sake.

Ascension leaders don't know the first thing about planning for growth. It's hard to pay for infrastructure when you don't have companies moving in nearly as fast as middle-class residents. If Prairieville doesn't get it's marbles together, it will lose much of it's growth to St. George.

With reactions like this, Baton Rouge will sink....and I honestly won't be that upset if this is the kind of attitude they have.  

St. George is a possibility at this point.   It is far from a certainty.   What is a certainty is that irreparable harm that these kinds of initiatives (CATS tax-style) will have on East Baton Rouge.   Employees of the parish won't be able to live in certain parts of the parish anymore.   

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2013/12/baton_rouge_metro_council_memb.html

I don't think hiring citizens is a bad idea at all, however, with Baton Rouge demographics...

I don't think hiring citizens is a bad idea at all, however, with Baton Rouge demographics...

This isn't about hiring citizens. It's about eliminating some citizens from the hiring pool. Remember that the metro-council government provides services all over the parish and is funded by taxes from the entire parish...not just in Baton Rouge.

It could be interpreted as racially motivated and will face a legal challenge if it passes (check the link I posted). Laws like this serve no purpose unless it only involves employees who are taking government vehicles home every night. My biggest problem with it is that the council members who are pushing this are doing exactly what they are accusing St. George citizens of doing.....creating division and driving a wedge in the community.

More damage has been done to East Baton Rouge by the St. George opponents recently that what St. George could ever accomplish by incorporating.

Edited by cajun

Let the crawfishing begin:

http://businessreport.com/article/20131212/BUSINESSREPORT0112/131219881

"The Parish Attorney's Office says a proposed ordinance that would impose residency requirements on city-parish employees would not apply to the mayor or members of the Metro Council."

Way to go Metro Council. Bravo!

More fuel for the pro-St George movement.

• 3 weeks later...

With 153 replies already/good info/maps...etc...hated to see this topic/thread just fall by the way side....it's not "officially St.George yet...maybe there is a way we can morph the topics with St. George news...

Here is a good article from Business Report

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20131223/BUSINESSREPORT0208/312239996

Pics of the proposed boundaries are in the back of this thread already...lets see if this map is too small? It will be interesting to see where the battle-lines will be drawn...while schools have gotten the shaft...there is question about the land grab

klv7.jpg

The opponents are starting to organize and the onslaught of negative news almost daily. It's clear to see how the advocate feels about this topic. I still hope this happens. It will take about 5 years after St George is incorporated but it will become one of the best school districts in the state.

The opponents are starting to organize and the onslaught of negative news almost daily. It's clear to see how the advocate feels about this topic. I still hope this happens. It will take about 5 years after St George is incorporated but it will become one of the best school districts in the state.

Its a fair bet if they weren't scared sh*tless, the opponents wouldn't even be giving this the time of day. The supporters of St. George will get what they want one way the other. Even if it means finally giving up on EBR and moving to the 'burbs. I'm not sure if the opponents have realized that yet. 

Give them their schools, or they will take their tax dollars to a different parish. 

Edited by garrett_225

Something I thought about. If the incorporation goes through, will it become the St. George Advocate? Isn't their office in the unincorporated Siegen area?

That would imply that The Advocate only serves St. George. The paper serves the entire Baton Rouge metro area, not the St. George metro area.

• Like 1

The opponents are starting to organize and the onslaught of negative news almost daily. It's clear to see how the advocate feels about this topic.

The Advocate's editorial opinions pours into their front page way too much these days.....their St George coverage is especially slanted.

People say print media is dying because they can't compete with cable or internet media. I'm starting to think they are dying because they are losing the perspective and ethics that made the popular.

This is not the only example of The Advocate's lack of professionalism and slanted views. They've become irrelevant to me. I get my Capitol area news from the business report or NOLA's BR edition.

Edited by cajun

I'd have to agree there. That last piece on St. George was terrible.

They seem to have taken their queue from a Baton Rouge publicist. I still can't believe how completely dishonest and inflammatory the national outlets have been.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New city or not, consolidated EBR government might be changed

East Baton Rouge went to a consolidated metropolitan form of government in the 1940s, largely to provide services to unincorporated areas. So if the city of St. George incorporates as proposed, leaving very few residents in unincorporated areas, does that make the current system of government obsolete? "Our system might be obsolete already," says Metro Councilman Buddy Amoroso. Perhaps EBR should consider separate offices for Baton Rouge mayor and parish president, he says, whether St. George incorporates or not. "You wouldn't have any unincorporated parts of the parish left," says Metro Councilman John Delgado. "I don't want to say it's obsolete, because I think it's the only way we can all work together." Amoroso and Delgado spoke at a Leaders With Vision luncheon today about the proposed incorporation, as did LSU economist Jim Richardson, who stood by his disputed assessment that incorporation would create a $53 million hole in the city-parish budget. Supporters of the incorporation effort—who were initially announced to appear at today’s event but who later pulled out citing a scheduling conflict—say it's more like $14 million, which Amoroso says would still be a significant hardship. Delgado says tax money collected at major shopping centers in unincorporated areas rightfully belongs to the entire parish. "The income [mostly] is earned in the city," he says. "They spend it where the malls are. That doesn't mean that it's somehow more St. George money than it is Baton Rouge money. It's all EBR money, and it should be that way." Delgado opposes incorporation, while Amoroso has not taken a position. —David Jacobs

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM

I think that would be a long term mistake for Baton Rouge. They'd gain power within their borders but lose access to parish pockets.

...and BTW, I wouldn't trust anything that the particular councilman quoted in that article says.

Edited by cajun

Amended services agreement between city and parish has St. George supporters concerned

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20140122/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140129912

What you are seeing is a full freak out by the EBR parish council at the prospect of losing control of a portion of sales tax revenue within the St George area. Government hates losing control and loathes anyone who tries to take it from them. This is not a specific trait to any political party.

St George is merely discussing their right to exist (like Zachary, Baton Rouge, Etc). It's not even definitive that it will come to a vote....but we see attempts at residency restrictions and attempts to undermine fire district control from people that are inflicting more damage to the parish than St George ever could.

A leader needs to emerge out of this and be a cool head in this debate.....otherwise the parish will be divided regardless of if St George incorporates.

Edited by cajun

• 3 weeks later...