Marion Square Hotel (Old County Library Site)

digital_sandlapper

An eight-story, 185-room hotel proposed for the northwestern edge of Marion Square was deemed to not have violated any zoning regulations when it was extended a special exceptionn (presumably at the request of the developers). The Preservation Society of Charleston and the Historic Charleston Foundation have fought the hotel, saying that it would dwarf the Old Citadel building immediately to the east. However, the Committee to Save the City Chairman Jack Simmons recently wrote that the latest hotel design would help restore civility and beauty to that part of the city.

This is an exciting development! We FINALLY get rid of the eye-sore 1961 library which has sat vacant for years, AND we get a much better, taller building to "restore civility and beauty" as Jack Simmons has fought so long for Marion Square to have. Now, if we could get rid of the Federal Bldg., the little convenient store, and the little bank . . .

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an exciting development! We FINALLY get rid of the eye-sore 1961 library which has sat vacant for years, AND we get a much better, taller building to "restore civility and beauty" as Jack Simmons has fought so long for Marion Square to have. Now, if we could get rid of the Federal Bldg., the little convenient store, and the little bank . . .

Well, I do believe the federal building is a tentative site for another hotel and was a par of some land swap this year with the city..

• 2 weeks later...

The hotel sounds like it will be a big improvement for Marion Square. Has anyone seen renderings of the proposed design yet? It would have to be better than the old library. With the Francis Marion anchoring one side of the square, this might be a good thing to counter it with another building of substantial height.

• 4 months later...

More good news DT concerning the future Hilton on King St. at Marion Square. Plans for the 185-room hotel were allowed to move forward by the BAR, but the plan needs some specific changes to its structure and materials. The newspaper is now listing the hotel to be 9 stories tall ( :thumbsup: ), street-level shops, underground parking, dining along Marion Square and a rooftop pool (very nice!). The developer was urged to come back with a plan that gives the hotel more of a

• 1 month later...

The Charleston Planning Commission unanimously approved the height zoning change for the land where a nine-story, 285-room Hilton hotel is planned at 404 King St.

Of course, this has some people from the historical societies a bit roiled, but I think they'll be OK. ;) I have no doubt that this will be a tasteful, elegant Hilton that will be a most worthy replacement of the old library (I think just about anything would be a most worthy replacement, LOL).

• 2 weeks later...

^ Common sense is prevailing with the Hilton hotel development at the old library site, despite the extremist language of preservationists. The Historical Chas Foundation is really living up to its nickname: the Hysterical Chas Foundation! ^_^ Needless to say, I can't wait for this hotel to be built because it will truly be one the gems of upper King Street.

Actually, we see that there is more good news dealing with the revitalization of the peninsula's western side. Last month, the eight-story, 151-room Best Western hotel at 250 Spring St, near Lockwood Dr, held its grand opening. The hotel is the former Howard Johnson, and about $4 million was spent in renovating the building. I have to say, it looks better now than it did. In May, the nearby 14-story, 340-room Charleston Marriott hotel on Lockwood Dr held its grand opening. This hotel looks fantastic, and the entire building is brightly lit at night, punctuating the western DT skyline.

Real estate and hospitality professionals expect these two full-service hotels, whose names are recognized internationally, not only to draw more visitors to DT's western gateway from Savannah Highway

• 1 year later...

I would love to see the property owner(s) of the old County Library proceed with razing the building. I realize contruction of the new Hilton is not on the horizon, but that library building is, IMHO, one of worse eyesores DT. If nothing more, if they razed the this building the land could be used as a temporary parking lot or used to expand the farmers market until construction gets underway.

I'm a little uneasy when it comes to demolishing existing structures when there's not another structure planned to immediately take their place. It makes for an interruption in the urban fabric, even if it's an ugly, unoccupied building and I just HATE seeing surface lots along such a high-profile street.

• 1 month later...

Using a prominent architectural feature in a logo is common... USC, CofC, UNC, and UGA come to mind. Theirs are historic aspect of their respective campuses, though. Still, MUSC's old logo was not remotely inspiring.

Upper King and Meeting Street projects await improved economy

Informative update on the numerous projects planned North of Calhoun. Obviously, the national economy is putting things on hold for awhile.

I finally got around to reading this article. The only project that I really want to see pushed forward is the old library redevelopment. The others are important, but IMO, less crucial to the loko and deel of that part of downtown.

• 2 years later...

^^ This is a good article from the P&C regarding these 14 projects. A few personal comments:

- Millenium project will never get approved as a 8 story building. Something in size and scope of the Majestic Square building at King/Meeting would be more appropriate and acceptable by the downtown community and the BAR.

- The Charleston School of Law is growing and will have to plan and implement a project to bring their "campus" into a more central site or two.

- Will that legal dispute with the old county library site ever get resolved(?) Will that highly visible eyesore ever get torn down(?)

- If the ecomony keeps sputtering along, some of these projects will stay in hibernation.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday the SC Supreme Court overturned a lower court ruling on the Marriott Hotel at the old County Library location. This means that the hotel can now be built. The dispute was over the BAR allowing a height variance. The building will be 8 stories and was originally proposed in 2007.

^^ It took a long time for this ruling to come down but I'm not surprised by the outcome. I can't wait to see that library building come down. But I'm actually hoping now that a hotel won't built in it's place. I've been giving alot of thought lately (going back before the ruling came down) and wondering where a department store could be built downtown. This location, in my thinking, would be an excellent. At least a better location does not come to mind.

I'm thinking Nordstrom's or Macy's type department store. Now I know Charleston probably can't support this now but I'm looking a couple years down the road. I rather see this tract set aside and developed as a retail project and in a grand way. And I think it's wise not to surround Marion Square with hotels which is the direction things are now going (I don't think I'd seen this before, but there's yet another new 8-floor hotel being proposed on the south side of Marion Square that goes before the B.A.R. at Oct 24's meeting). There's already too many hotels under construction or in the planning process. It's time to start re-purposing the limited developable land downtown and get away from new hotel projects.

Let's don't bring the the former King St Saks Fifth Ave into this - that was not a department store.

Archived