20 Fulton E, Mixed Use Development

GRDadof3

On August 30, 2016 at 8:33 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I think I did the math earlier and it will tuck in right under the crane....

You know, I was actually talking about Venue Tower. I think earlier someone posted a pic of 20 Fulton popping up in the background of a Venue photo, and I forgot what thread I was on. So I was talking about Venue's non-tower crane.

10 hours ago, sparky05 said:

You know, I was actually talking about Venue Tower. I think earlier someone posted a pic of 20 Fulton popping up in the background of a Venue photo, and I forgot what thread I was on. So I was talking about Venue's non-tower crane.

Oohhhh. I think Venue is just about topped out, someone said earlier. If that's what you were asking. 

1 hour ago, SupercityGR said:

What would the purpose of the road diet? Anytime the arena has something going on Fulton gets so backed up its crazy. Add more people from these new buildings and new Venues and I would suspect there being even more traffic. 

Well, just like the renderings they put in the newspapers when I was a kid that showed how great things would look after urban renewal, all those trees and the grassy median along Fulton really look nice.  But just like urban renewal, the results may not turn out all that practical or nice.  

2 hours ago, SupercityGR said:

What would the purpose of the road diet? Anytime the arena has something going on Fulton gets so backed up its crazy. Add more people from these new buildings and new Venues and I would suspect there being even more traffic. 

I'm just proposing that much of the left turn lane be done away with a make it more pedestrian friendly. There are way more people than cars in that area during events. 

Also, there's really no reason to be on Fulton when events are going on. With police directing traffic, it's the worst road to be on and you can't even enter any ramps off of Fulton. Most people enter from the East or West and go right to their favorite ramps, not even touching Fulton between Ionia and Monroe. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, x99 said:

Cribbing was out of the most of the floors they already poured as of a few days ago, so perhaps they're set to keep going up.  It takes a surprisingly long time for these concrete buildings to go up.  I'm assuming that is the time for the concrete to cure? 

I think so. Getting the forms just right to exacting specifications, pouring, curing. Steel comes to the site pre-engineered so it's just welding it all together, it would seem.

I'm no expert though! 

By my count there are 6 more floors to go up so I still think it will squeak in just under the crane. 

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

A news story on TV 8 yesterday mentioned that this building "will host apartments, (and) a HOTEL".......  That is the first I have heard of this.   Anyone else hear anything about a hotel here?

Nope. Not unusual for WOODTV to get the story wrong. They were probably thinking of the new 42 story tower. 

21 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Nope. Not unusual for WOODTV to get the story wrong. They were probably thinking of the new 42 story tower. 

I figured that they were mistaken.

29 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Also, the majority of the story was about that blasted banner: http://woodtv.com/2016/09/12/some-insulted-by-make-heartside-great-again-banner/

:lol: I didn't post the actual story because I didn't  think we wanted to go down that road again :P

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

New photo of 20 Fulton (taken from Veteran's Park). Is it just me or does the 4th floor seem much taller than the rest of the floors? Sure wish there was an up-to-date rendering. ;)

72C3D7B0-3674-4160-A1C6-1EAF993684B9.JPG

I think the 4th floor is set back a little? At least it was like that in the model I made off of their drawings.

31 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

I think the 4th floor is set back a little? At least it was like that in the model I made off of their drawings.

Right, there is a break/set back on the facade at 4.   I don't think we will see renderings at this point.   I have actually contacted the design architect twice.  Once about 6 months ago, and in the last couple weeks.  I figured by now they should be public?   Maybe none were never done?   BTW,  he's completely ignored my e-mails. <_<  

1 hour ago, WMrapids said:

Interesting. In person, it also seems a couple feet taller than the other floors. I really like how it's filling in this area. Everything feels much more contiguous with the parking lot gone.

Joe

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

New photo of 20 Fulton (taken from Veteran's Park). Is it just me or does the 4th floor seem much taller than the rest of the floors? Sure wish there was an up-to-date rendering. ;)

72C3D7B0-3674-4160-A1C6-1EAF993684B9.JPG

Back in my day, construction signs had building renderings on them.

35 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting. In person, it also seems a couple feet taller than the other floors. I really like how it's filling in this area. Everything feels much more contiguous with the parking lot gone.

Joe

I believe the 4th floor is the "amenities" floor, maybe even with a pool? I'll have to dig out the construction drawings. It was a huge file the city sent me.