20 Fulton E, Mixed Use Development

GRDadof3

And here comes the crybullies... :rolleyes:

They made the owner "aware"? Aware of what? That some nobody with a FB account doesn't approve of a tiny portion of a sign on a building they are paying millions to erect on what was once an empty parking lot?

Hey, Salon lurkers! Dont read the sign! It's not your building. The sign will not hurt you! By making a show of yourselves you are only giving it more attention! :rofl:

I swear between the NIMBYS, the HPC, the Homeless industry, and now Salon busybodies, it is almost a competition to see who can make GR the most toxic to developers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

And here comes the crybullies... :rolleyes:

They made the owner "aware"? Aware of what? That some nobody with a FB account doesn't approve of a tiny portion of a sign on a building they are paying millions to erect on what was once an empty parking lot?

Hey, Salon lurkers! Dont read the sign! It's not your building. The sign will not hurt you! By making a show of yourselves you are only giving it more attention! :rofl:

I swear between the NIMBYS, the HPC, the Homeless industry, and now Salon busybodies, it is almost a competition to see who can make GR the most toxic to developers.

If only it were limited to the Crybullies in GR.  There seems to be a nationwide assault on freedom of opinion and expression.  Referencing conservative lines of thought are portrayed as hate crimes by certain factions that have become mainstream, without regard to civility or logic.  Love or hate Donald Trumps persona as a candidate, it should not be seen an offensive pejorative to say that you're trying to "Make the Heartside great again".  I truly do hope it becomes great again, it certainly doesn't resemble it's golden days, good grief!

Also anyone who thinks the GR NIMBY's are bad here should visit Tucson.  Native Arizonans will go all the way to the supreme court to prevent change of any kind.  Hence Tucson is the most mediocre college town in the country.  GR is a superstar in comparison. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MJLO said:

If only it were limited to the Crybullies in GR.  There seems to be a nationwide assault on freedom of opinion and expression.  Referencing conservative lines of thought are portrayed as hate crimes by certain factions that have become mainstream, without regard to civility or logic.  Love or hate Donald Trumps persona as a candidate, it should not be seen an offensive pejorative to say that you're trying to "Make the Heartside great again".  I truly do hope it becomes great again, it certainly doesn't resemble it's golden days, good grief!

Also anyone who thinks the GR NIMBY's are bad here should visit Tucson.  Native Arizonans will go all the way to the supreme court to prevent change of any kind.  Hence Tucson is the most mediocre college town in the country.  GR is a superstar in comparison. 

You'll run across this in any town where the locals have any kind of say in what is developed. Just read comments on MLive or on Facebook anytime there is a story of something being built in the city. "What about parking?" "What about roads?" "That money could go toward schools." You get the idea. If those people actually had the sole say on what's built in a city, we'd be living in a crumbling city with pristine roads and parking lots. 

• Like 1

Honestly...Just leave it. It was a dumb business move, but it's equally dumb to take time out of your day to call them and whine about your feelings being hurt. If you can't physically handle some printed words that you don't like, don't look at them. Simple as that. Those three girls are in no danger of stumbling across the money needed to live in the building anyway, so I'm sure the developer couldn't care less what they think.

There are actually zero problems with the sign. Well, there is one- still no rendering of the building. I was hoping to see it on the sign. :)

Salon GR is well known for getting itself wound up about absolutely nothing. It's almost as infuriating as reading MLive comments. :) I ended up quitting the group. 

Joe

As someone who lurks on both UP and The Salon and mostly enjoys hearing both forums' perspectives (yes! we exist!), there's something a bit off-putting about this thread.

I agree with most of you that the sign is a bit tone-deaf, but it's ultimately the developer's decision and protesting over it is a bit silly and counterproductive.

But the conversation lasted for about 8 hours on The Salon, with about half of them agreeing with us anyway, and then fizzled out. They've moved on. Here, it's been going for 2.5 days and counting. We brought it up first, we salivated at their reaction before they reacted, we mocked their socioeconomic status after they reacted (and that screenshot is a pretty benign snippet, even if they're "wrong"), we started arguing about the presidential candidates, and for some reason, we're still talking about all this 11 posts after GRDadof3 said "moving on"... I don't think this board is in a position to argue about who looks like MLive commenters right now. :P

If you think those who are protesting the sign are doing it to seek attention... stop giving them attention!

I didn't join Urban Planet to brag about how much more mature we are than the other forums while bashing everything about them, or to obsess over how offended other people are. Let's take the high road.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, getemngo said:

I didn't join Urban Planet to brag about how much more mature we are than the other forums while bashing everything about them, or to obsess over how offended other people are. Let's take the high road.

You'll note that over a couple of days of discussion, nothing ever deteriorated into outright bashing of any particular political ideology, or anyone taking any sort of grave personal offense to a bunch of words.  Try finding that most places on the Interwebs.  I think it's something to be pretty darn proud of, myself.  

As for the building, The cribbing on the first floor is down.  I would expect the cribbing on the second floor to be down fairly soon.  Long term, I think this building will be a solution for Heartside, help it move forward, and really help to make Heartside whole and great again.  ;)  But the architecture still sucks, so there's that.  :P

• Like 3

On 8/19/2016 at 2:16 PM, sparky05 said:

Remind me again - how tall is this thing supposed to be? I keep looking at that crane and wondering how it's sufficient to finish this tower off...

I think I did the math earlier and it will tuck in right under the crane. Or maybe they'll have to add a section or two to the crane but not by much. 

The latest construction drawings show 124' up from the base, not including the little mechanical penthouse (133'). Give or take because the site slopes from East to West. 

29258470041_e61f612e2f_o.jpg

• Like 1

Driving north on Division, it's starting to pop up above the other buildings. Really excited to see this building picking up steam. Like the proposed 42 story building (and even Venue Tower to some extent), I think it's going to make the north and south side of Fulton seem less divided. Now if the church would sell their parking lot... :)

Joe

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Driving north on Division, it's starting to pop up above the other buildings. Really excited to see this building picking up steam. Like the proposed 42 story building (and even Venue Tower to some extent), I think it's going to make the north and south side of Fulton seem less divided. Now if the church would sell their parking lot... :)

Joe

Do you think at some point some kind of "road diet" might be appropriate for Fulton Street between Division and the river? or maybe islands like they have near One Trick Pony? (I think so but wondered what other people thought. There's really no need for most of the left turn lane from Ionia to Monroe. 

38 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Do you think at some point some kind of "road diet" might be appropriate for Fulton Street between Division and the river? or maybe islands like they have near One Trick Pony? (I think so but wondered what other people thought. There's really no need for most of the left turn lane from Ionia to Monroe. 

It was mention in the GR Forward Downtown Action Plan

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 9.34.30 AM.png

• Like 3