Stone Avenue at Main Street mixed use project.

gman430

Not much update to the stone/main section from the meeting. Plan still the same. 241 units. Start late Oct/early Nov.

Rowley/Stone looks completely different. There will be 8 town-homes towards the residential section of Rowley with parking underneath to help with the parking issue. The entrance is now pushed up toward stone directly across from the entrance to the Stone/Main project and does not require the on street parking like before. They are also proposing a in/out on Stone, vs just the in as proposed before - but will require DOT approval. The corner of Rowley/Stone will be a 4 story mixed use building with 2400 sqft commercial on the first floor then apartments above. The corner second floor will feature a open amenity area. The Rowley/Stone parcel will have a total of 51 units. This will start a bit after the Stone/Main, but finish at the same time. The new design will require a modification to the PD already approved. No elevations or renderings have been done yet. They were only looking at the base plan.

They are still targeting a grocer/market for the corner of Stone/Main. They said they have been in talks with a few but nothing concrete. They do not have anything concrete for the other commercial spaces but said they are targeting things like salon, smaller food establishments (ex. was one that would not require a vented hood), office space, etc. The Rowley/Stone commercial is tricky because technically patrons would need to use the parking garage (or possibly the parking behind the development during the day)... there was concern here on if there was some sort of food/bar establishment if you would run into the same issues that Universal Joint is running into. 

Most of the residential issues/concerns were centered around traffic (both when completed and during construction).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Talked to some guys on Rowley yesterday and they said that building on that site would be coming down any day now. In reading the Greenville News this morning they show confirmation of that. Good to see this is finally getting started. But its a shame they are having a problem with finding a grocer. Even with a ready made customer base. But I do understand the concerns.

Edited by MAJIKMAN

Talked to some guys on Rowley yesterday and they said that building on that site would be coming down any day now. In reading the Greenville News this morning they show confirmation of that. Good to see this is finally getting started. But its a shame they are having a problem with finding a grocer. Even with a ready made customer base. But I do understand the concerns.

Maybe im the minority on this subject, but I just cant see how a grocer, be it even a smaller gourmet style grocer, would not be successful in this location.With the growth of the North Main community and future Stone Ave development (although agree you cant "bet on the come") the population base is there already and not to mention the addition of a few hundred people right above it. Id say the income base is there.

Living in close proximity I, for one, would be there all the time and discontinue my use of the downtown publix completely.... but they are the experts in where to locate their stores so im sure they have more insight than I.

Article referenced above - http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2014/10/28/stone-main-project-tries-attract-grocer/18071691/ .  Love the fact that they are saying just over a year for completion. I thought I had heard closer to two at one point. Maybe that just meant from announcement, securing permits, approvals, etc. They are moving FAST on the Church/University development so it isnt all that surprising.

• 3 weeks later...

They've started some work on electrical, and Ive seen some drilling on site of stone/main. No construction fences yet.

Neighborhood meeting hosted by The Beach Company at the Sears Shelter, 100 East Park Ave., Greenville, SC  29601 on Wednesday, November 19th from 7:45 PM – 9:30 PM regarding the future development at Rowley Street and Stone Avenue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Site work has begun. They started removing trees this week, and now look to be removing decrepit concrete retaining walls on Rowley side. The power lines on the site have also all been removed, my guess is in conjunction with all the work they have been doing on Stone.

With everything essentially cleared now, you can really appreciate the size of the site and development as a whole. Can't wait to see the impact this has on The North End!

Anyone know the actual expected timeline of this? I know I saw 16 months in one article, then this (http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/F68DD462-D03B-4738-AC1D-E1C9CC88E675.pdf) stated Fall 2015. I cant imagine they could complete this in less than a year?!

How long ago did they start the Church St. development? Id guess the timing would be about the same.