Eastown Flats - 1400 &1415 Wealthy St.

Gorath

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I am disappointed that it seems to have been value-engineered a bit since the initial renderings, although it is somewhat difficult to tell what is going on here, exactly.  The window pediments on the fourth story shrunk from the originally proposed wide pediment spanning two windows to a single small pediment over each window.  I think this makes it a bit more chopped up.  The revised window pattern to accommodate balconies does not help the design either.  It is also very difficult to tell whether this is still the originally proposed "full masonry exterior".  The original drawings--which were rather low resolution, to be fair--looked like brick masonry exteriors with some nice surface variation in the brick, and decently recessed windows.  This looks suspiciously like cement board siding with no variation and flush windows.  Oh well.  The ground floor appears to be first-rate.  Anyone know what's going on with those upper stories?

I am disappointed that it seems to have been value-engineered a bit since the initial renderings, although it is somewhat difficult to tell what is going on here, exactly.  The window pediments on the fourth story shrunk from the originally proposed wide pediment spanning two windows to a single small pediment over each window.  I think this makes it a bit more chopped up.  The revised window pattern to accommodate balconies does not help the design either.  It is also very difficult to tell whether this is still the originally proposed "full masonry exterior".  The original drawings--which were rather low resolution, to be fair--looked like brick masonry exteriors with some nice surface variation in the brick, and decently recessed windows.  This looks suspiciously like cement board siding with no variation and flush windows.  Oh well.  The ground floor appears to be first-rate.  Anyone know what's going on with those upper stories?

I would guess that is not masonry. Was there full masonry proposed at one time? The old renderings look too small to tell.

I would guess that is not masonry. Was there full masonry proposed at one time? The old renderings look too small to tell.

I think the original proposal (near the start of this topic) was mostly masonry, per the notes on the renderings.  The second renderings really are too small to tell for sure, but also appeared to be masonry. The latest appear to be a hardie plank. 

I think the original proposal (near the start of this topic) was mostly masonry, per the notes on the renderings.  The second renderings really are too small to tell for sure, but also appeared to be masonry. The latest appear to be a hardie plank. 

Oh yes, you're right. Says "brick color 1" and "brick color 2" on the original renderings.

Back there.

Oh yes, you're right. Says "brick color 1" and "brick color 2" on the original renderings.

Back there.

Yup.  And when they sold this thing, that's how they sold it--a nice, attractive brick/masonry building.  Now masonry appears to have magically transformed into "cement board"--a four story building shod in oversized concrete clapboards.  Was this design revision already on the table when the required variances were obtained?  Hopefully the rendering is simply inaccurate. 

The renderings do look like fiber cement lap siding.  It's hard to tell, but it does seem like the corners have corner post trim.  You wouldn't do that with brick.

The upper windows appear to have cut stone or cast stone lintels.  And you don't do that with lap siding.

I'm stumped

The renderings do look like fiber cement lap siding.  It's hard to tell, but it does seem like the corners have corner post trim.  You wouldn't do that with brick.

The upper windows appear to have cut stone or cast stone lintels.  And you don't do that with lap siding.

I'm stumped

I don't think so. I think you know exactly what is going on. :)

I'm stumped

I didn't even see that re: the corner post trim, but you're right.  I have no idea where GRdad got these renderings, but if they're right, the building has definitely been cheapened up substantially.  The "lintels" could easily be just a flat piece of cement board.  Sneaky SOBs.  They better not build a four story building out of cement board.  How tacky.

I didn't even see that re: the corner post trim, but you're right.  I have no idea where GRdad got these renderings, but if they're right, the building has definitely been cheapened up substantially.  The "lintels" could easily be just a flat piece of cement board.  Sneaky SOBs.  They better not build a four story building out of cement board.  How tacky.

From Orion. They had a press event groundbreaking the other day.

From Orion. They had a press event groundbreaking the other day.

Then that's definitely sleazy in my book.  They clearly sold one project, invited all sorts of people to meetings, got their approvals, swindled themselves a NEZ designation which will screw the existing landlords and property owners in the neighborhood, and now are building something else that will keep more cash in their pockets, and hoping no one will notice.  :angry:

Then that's definitely sleazy in my book.  They clearly sold one project, invited all sorts of people to meetings, got their approvals, swindled themselves a NEZ designation which will screw the existing landlords and property owners in the neighborhood, and now are building something else that will keep more cash in their pockets, and hoping no one will notice.   :angry:

I can't believe the city actually went along with that.  And it's designated "Eastown Flats NEZ."  What a crock.

I mean, look at the map.  Any outside observer would just look at this and go, "Really??"

But to be fair, I don't think they've been all that duplicitous in the design, at least not based on the small and non-specific renderings we've seen on this forum.  Maybe we need to demand more detail and texture in our renderings.

I can't believe the city actually went along with that.  And it's designated "Eastown Flats NEZ."  What a crock.

I mean, look at the map.  Any outside observer would just look at this and go, "Really??"

But to be fair, I don't think they've been all that duplicitous in the design, at least not based on the small and non-specific renderings we've seen on this forum.  Maybe we need to demand more detail and texture in our renderings.

Well they did say "brick," and now they're not brick..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding ^^

I'm neither an architect nor an engineer but curious why this structure has no steel?

Or did they sneak it in while I was not looking?

Or is it really an entire wood structure?

It is only three stories tall.  Doesn't need steel. 

It is only three stories tall.  Doesn't need steel. 

What he said. I believe you only "need" steel in commercial construction of this small of a size?

Steel member on the corner! If you zoom way in, you can see it has 2x6 exterior walls and those scissor floor joists are pretty sturdy. Should last for quite a while.

15925909352_3b222abbe8_k.jpg

Archived